Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?

Go down 
+4
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
CeCe
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? Empty
PostSubject: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:00 am

http://www.themarknews.com/articles/5193-is-adhd-a-fictional-disease

It's a long article, so I didn't want to post the whole thing; basically a child neurologist wrote a piece for The Mark accusing ADHD of being a fictional disease that was developed simply to market and sell bogus prescription medication to kids who don't even need it.

Quote :
"It seems clear that in the ’50s, as the first psychiatric drugs came to market, that psychiatry – in cahoots with the pharmaceutical industry – came upon the market strategy of, “Well, we’ll call these things ‘diseases.’” And the prototypical invented disease was called ADHD."

Baughman prefers the term "behavior" when referring to ADHD, instead of disease, implying that it is something that should be addressed with therapy or discipline.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

I do believe it's over diagnosed, but that's another subject. It's NOT a fictional thing. It's definitely very real.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:31 am

Not fictional but highly overexaggerated and overdiagnosed.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Supernova wrote:
Not fictional but highly overexaggerated and overdiagnosed.

Yepperz, I agree with this. Smile
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Not fictional, but while I will cop to thinking that it may get over diagnosed....still I'd rather that than it getting under diagnosed. In other words I'm more in support of doctors immediately suspecting ADHD than them resisting considering it.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Yeah yeah, what they said.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:07 pm

CeCe wrote:
I do believe it's over diagnosed, but that's another subject. It's NOT a fictional thing. It's definitely very real.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:31 am

Definitely NOT fictional and as for it being over-diagnosed? It's not a simple issue and a child may present as AHDH due to circumstances going on (parents divorcing, parent away on business a lot), a learning disability or difference, the way the child is raised, and so on. I also think children need to be re-tested, as things change and kids row, so what fit at 6, doesn't necessarily fit at 10.

Ask any teacher out there and anyone who works with kids and they will most definitely tell you that AHDH is NOT a myth!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?   Is ADHD a Fictional Disease? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is ADHD a Fictional Disease?
Page 1 of 1