NYC Bans Smoking In Public Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NYC Bans Smoking In Public

Go down 
+4
Chris
RedBedroom
MandyPerfumeGirl
Tony Marino
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

NYC Bans Smoking In Public Empty
PostSubject: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:17 am

New York (CNN) -- Smokers in New York City looking to light up in most public places will not be able to without paying a price after an outdoor citywide smoking ban takes effect Monday.

The law, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed in February after it was passed by the New York City Council, will make smoking illegal in New York City's 1,700 parks and on the city's 14 miles of public beaches. Smoking will also be prohibited in pedestrian plazas like Times Square.

The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter.

Secondhand smoke causes close to 50,000 deaths per year, and side effects may include lung cancer, respiratory infections and asthma, according to the American Lung Association's website. Cigarette butts account for 75% of the litter found on New York City beaches, according to a news release from Bloomberg's office.

"Smoking in parks and beaches not only harms people trying to enjoy these recreational facilities, it also causes a litter problem that harms the beauty of our parks," Bloomberg said before he signed the bill into law.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/new.york.smoking.ban/index.html?iref=NS1

Last edited by Tony Marino on Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:18 am

We New Yorkers need to start a campaign to get Bloomberg the hell out of office. He single handedly ruined NYC.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:21 am

I like the idea. We have laws like that Illinois - no smoking in public places. If a person wants to smoke, that's their business, but there's no reason why non-smokers should have to be around such a disgusting and dangerous addiction.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:22 am

I am all for these kinds of bans, but I do think the downside is that the next step is going to be banning in multi resident units.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:45 am

Seems a bit extreme.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:46 am

Why don't they just tell us what to wear each day, what job we have to work at, how much tax we have to pay, where we have to live, how much rent we have to pay, what we have to eat and drink. Point is its just ridiculous and more and more its like a dictatorship, pretty soon you won't be able to leave your house without permission.

Mike Bloomberg is a pompous asshole, he spends money on things that we don't even need. Why did he have to build 2 new stadiums, why didn't he use that money for schools, sanitation or the transit system? What the hell did we need 2 new stadiums for? I thank god I live on Long Island because many of his laws don't apply to me.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:51 am

Tony Marino wrote:
Why don't they just tell us what to wear each day, what job we have to work at, how much tax we have to pay, where we have to live, how much rent we have to pay, what we have to eat and drink. Point is its just ridiculous and more and more its like a dictatorship, pretty soon you won't be able to leave your house without permission.

Mike Bloomberg is a pompous asshole, he spends money on things that we don't even need. Why did he have to build 2 new stadiums, why didn't he use that money for schools, sanitation or the transit system? What the hell did we need 2 new stadiums for? I thank god I live on Long Island because many of his laws don't apply to me.

I think it's only a hop, skip and jump away from cigarettes being banned outright.

I heard from another New Yorker a while back that the city has become much more tamer and 'family friendly' than it was back in the 1980s. Is this true?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:55 am

Chris wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:

I think it's only a hop, skip and jump away from cigarettes being banned outright.

I heard from another New Yorker a while back that the city has become much more tamer and 'family friendly' than it was back in the 1980s. Is this true?

I suppose so, crime has dropped quite a bit and I do see a lot of tourists and families here all the time.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
Tony, Tony, Tony - Chill Baby. big hugz

They do tell us what to wear each day (I'm a nudist remember?). There are always gonna be limits on absolute freedom. You can take a stand and fight it, but that gets expensive sometimes, unless you get enuf ppl behind a protest. (How hard is it to get a recall petition in NY? We just got rid of an asshole commissioner and our county mayor that way)

As for the smoking in public, it may seem extreme but believe it or not, tobacco smoke wafting thru the air outside is also irritating. I hate to be on the beach downwind of a smoker. It actually does irritate my nose when the smoke blows by. However, I don't know if they have quantified the health effects of it as they have on indoor ambient smoke. It likely wouldn't be that much in passing.
Shrugs (Oh well…)
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Shale wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:
Tony, Tony, Tony - Chill Baby. big hugz

They do tell us what to wear each day (I'm a nudist remember?). There are always gonna be limits on absolute freedom. You can take a stand and fight it, but that gets expensive sometimes, unless you get enuf ppl behind a protest. (How hard is it to get a recall petition in NY? We just got rid of an asshole commissioner and our county mayor that way)

As for the smoking in public, it may seem extreme but believe it or not, tobacco smoke wafting thru the air outside is also irritating. I hate to be on the beach downwind of a smoker. It actually does irritate my nose when the smoke blows by. However, I don't know if they have quantified the health effects of it as they have on indoor ambient smoke. It likely wouldn't be that much in passing.
Shrugs (Oh well…)

I understand your point as far as smoke outside but Cigarette smoke does not bother me and its not even that ban that annoys me, what annoys me the most is the fact that people are told what they can and can't do. People here do not seem to want to get involved in getting a petition going to oust this jerk. Besides, the Mayor has too many of the "right" people behind him, let's just leave it at that.

big hugz
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Chris wrote:

I hope the government doesn't make that mistake again. What they want is for everyone to stop smoking so there is a reduction in health costs but for everyone to keep buying cigarettes so they can keep collecting the tax.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:08 pm

There are far worse pollutants in the New York air than cigarette smoke. I wonder if this ban encompasses artificial cigarettes as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:20 pm

LOL, I can't remember who it was but I heard some celebrity tell a story of how he was sitting in an open air sidewalk cafe and lit up a cigarette. A waiter had to tell him sorry but there was no smoking on the premises so the guy had to step over the low wall between the seating area and the sidewalk to smoke. Standing next to an idling bus.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

alan smithee wrote:
LOL, I can't remember who it was but I heard some celebrity tell a story of how he was sitting in an open air sidewalk cafe and lit up a cigarette. A waiter had to tell him sorry but there was no smoking on the premises so the guy had to step over the low wall between the seating area and the sidewalk to smoke. Standing next to an idling bus.

LMAO!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:32 pm

You're right Tony. The shit is stupid. And I don't even smoke. A park is an OPEN area with OPEN space. The smoke wafts away. If you don't want to be around cigarette smoke, how about YOU move?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Chris wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:

There is less crime, that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC Bans Smoking In Public   NYC Bans Smoking In Public Empty

Back to top Go down

NYC Bans Smoking In Public
Page 1 of 1