SC woman charged after children walk to store Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SC woman charged after children walk to store

Go down 
+4
RedBedroom
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Supernova
Marc™
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

SC woman charged after children walk to store Empty
PostSubject: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Quote :
Wednesday, May. 25, 2011
The Associated Press

ROCK HILL, S.C. -- A Rock Hill woman has been charged with neglect after her two young children walked about a mile to a store while she slept.

The Herald of Rock Hill reported 27-year-old Candace Amber Cole was being held in the York County jail on two charges of child neglect.

Sheriff's deputies say the woman's 5-year-old girl and 6-year-old old boy walked from their home to a gasoline station near Interstate 77 Sunday.

A store employee flagged down a deputy.

A sheriff's report says the children told the officer they had gone to the store to get toilet paper.

Deputies said the door was open and Cole was asleep when they arrived.

The children are being cared for by their grandmother.

It was unclear if Cole has a lawyer.

Source:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/25/2180133/sc-woman-charged-after-children.html
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:11 pm

In my opinion, that's crap. When I was 5 and 6, my mother and grandmother both used to send me to the store....which was just around the corner....to buy their cigarettes. It ain't that deep.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Indeeeeeed, now if this was dead of July in triple digit weather then I could probably understand that, but the kids here have to walk that far to get to the swimming pool when it IS dead July because their dad's not driving them. Stupid.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:27 pm

This is bull. Unless they were walking ON the highway.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Their ages are just five and six and that is by far too young to be walking to a gas station, no matter if it is a block away. Especially a station near an Interstate.

We live just off the Interstate, and have a station that is 1/10th mile from my driveway. No way would my son have been going there at six. He was nine before he went alone. And even at nine, he wasn't going anywhere that was a mile away.
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Maybe CPS ought to check up on her from time to time, but I don't think it's worth charging the woman over.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:18 pm

What's more troubling to me is that she was asleep instead of knowing where the kids were or what they were doing.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

alan smithee wrote:
What's more troubling to me is that she was asleep instead of knowing where the kids were or what they were doing.

Yeah, because the kids seemed to have proved that they know what they're doing and how to look out for themselves, but the mother on the other hand...
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Quote :
Yeah, because the kids seemed to have proved that they know what they're doing and how to look out for themselves, but the mother on the other hand...

At ages five and six there is no such thing as proving they know what to do in walking a mile to a gas station.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Supernova wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

No. Those kids haven't proved anything. They got lucky or they've been lucky if this isn't the first time this has happened. I don't know if criminal charges are warranted but if the headline had read, "5 and 6 year olds abducted on walk to gas station while mother slept", I wonder if the opinions here would be different.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Quote :
No. Those kids haven't proved anything. They got lucky or they've been lucky if this isn't the first time this has happened. I don't know if criminal charges are warranted but if the headline had read, "5 and 6 year olds abducted on walk to gas station while mother slept", I wonder if the opinions here would be different.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:50 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
Quote :

At ages five and six there is no such thing as proving they know what to do in walking a mile to a gas station.

I think it's impressive that a five year old can remember a mile's distance by foot.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Marc™ wrote:
In my opinion, that's crap. When I was 5 and 6, my mother and grandmother both used to send me to the store....which was just around the corner....to buy their cigarettes. It ain't that deep.

Well, 5 and 6 is a little young. My folks started sending me to the store when I was like 8 and 9. And the store was just around the corner. And a mile is entirely too far for them to walk alone. If it wasn't a mile away, maybe she can get away with it. I don't think she needs to be sent to jail and brought up on charges though. A stern warning should be enough.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:33 am

I'm with Red and Alan. That Mom is lucky nothing happened to those kids!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SC woman charged after children walk to store   SC woman charged after children walk to store Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1