CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
RobbieFTW
captainbryce
CeCe
Shale
MandyPerfumeGirl
Kral
11 posters

Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain Empty Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain

Post by Kral Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

In the UK, they can't teach about the religious theory of creation. Should the US have a similar stance??

http://ncse.com/news/2011/05/creationism-banned-from-free-schools-britain-006683
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain Empty Re: Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Yes. Creationism should not be taught in schools. It's not a proven scientific fact, it's based on faith. If kids want to learn about it and parents want them to be educated with it, then church is the more appropriate place to go.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain Empty Re: Creationism banned from "free schools" in Britain

Post by Shale Mon May 30, 2011 6:19 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:Yes. Creationism should not be taught in schools. It's not a proven scientific fact, it's based on faith. If kids want to learn about it and parents want them to be educated with it, then church is the more appropriate place to go.
    co-signs What more can be said?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon May 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Shale wrote:
    MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:Yes. Creationism should not be taught in schools. It's not a proven scientific fact, it's based on faith. If kids want to learn about it and parents want them to be educated with it, then church is the more appropriate place to go.
    co-signs What more can be said?

co-signs co-signs
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Kral wrote:In the UK, they can't teach about the religious theory of creation. Should the US have a similar stance??

http://ncse.com/news/2011/05/creationism-banned-from-free-schools-britain-006683
    Yes. Only true SCIENCE should be taught in public schools, not religion! Creationism is not science and and since it is based on religion, teaching it would violate the first ammendment of the US Constitution. If you want your kid to learn about God, then take him to the church, synagague, mosque, temple or whatever. Not school!
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Religion shouldn't be ENDORSED by public school but it should be referenced and summarized for history purposes.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue May 31, 2011 12:25 am

But then you have to summarize each and every religion. I feel like a general religious studies course (as an elective) would be fine.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 pm

Kral wrote:In the UK, they can't teach about the religious theory of creation. Should the US have a similar stance??

Yes.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

It's probably for the best IMO. Public school should be a nuetral place when it comes to things like philosophy and creed.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 am

Banning creationism just shows which side wants to do the squashing. Schools aren't interested in teaching science and haven't been for a long time. If we're banning everything not based on Science, we should be banning a lot more than topics with religious connotations. Banning creationism also doesn't mean schools will become a neutral place at all. Teachers have a long record of shoving their anti-religious agenda down students' throats.

Banning creationism just shows fear to me, and a desire to control. I think the US should not have this ban. Our kids are already mindless enough as it is. But wouldn't surprise me if we did. We already got kids brainwashed as it is so why not make it so we mandate it? Definitely wouldn't surprise me. And we wonder why kids are just so dumb anymore.

But no worries. Stuff like this always comes back to bite those who support it in the end.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:19 pm

It wasn't all that long ago when it was against the law for public school teachers to teach anything that denied the Biblical account of man’s origin.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:50 pm

alan smithee wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when it was against the law for public school teachers to teach anything that denied the Biblical account of man’s origin.

When I was in Jr. High in the early '60s I took a Life magazine feature on Darwin to school and one of my old teachers told me Charles Darwin was a crackpot and so was I for reading about him.

She has to be dead by now, like so many of her generation, so the world can evolve to a more logical place.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:14 pm

alan smithee wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when it was against the law for public school teachers to teach anything that denied the Biblical account of man’s origin.

I guess it just proves that the other side is just as much a cult and just as intolerant. big grin
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Uh, no. I don't know of many non-religious people who try to recruit others.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Rockbird wrote:Uh, no. I don't know of many non-religious people who try to recruit others.

Nah, they just try to penalize anybody who isn't like them and shut them up/discredit them. Same animal, different color fur.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Not sure what you mean by discredit, but regardless, you just agreed your use of the word "cult" was wrong.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Rockbird wrote:Not sure what you mean by discredit, but regardless, you just agreed your use of the word "cult" was wrong.

Not really. I admit I took some liberties with the application of it, intentional liberties, but I think it largely fits, for the most part, as much as any other application outside of stereotypes fits. lol
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Shale wrote:

When I was in Jr. High in the early '60s I took a Life magazine feature on Darwin to school and one of my old teachers told me Charles Darwin was a crackpot and so was I for reading about him.

She has to be dead by now, like so many of her generation, so the world can evolve to a more logical place.

I don't know Shale. They say only the good die young.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Then I'll be here in year 2089.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Rockbird wrote:Then I'll be here in year 2089.
    Gesundheit!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:43 am