Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners Empty
PostSubject: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am

What do you make of this study, do you think it's psycho babble, or makes sense? We do change as we grow up, but I've read by the time someone reaches the age of three, they display the major traits/characteristics that they will posses in adulthood.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/07/schoolyard-bullies-more-likely-to-abuse-partners/

Quote :

Published June 07, 2011 | Reuters

NEW YORK – U.S. scientists have found that boys who are bullies in the schoolyard are at increased risk of abusing their partner later in life.

According to the study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, the link provides a potential avenue for curbing domestic violence, which affects about a fourth of American women.

"We need to do a far better job at recognizing bullying in schools, particularly the harassment of girls by boys," psychologist Jay Silverman, who led the research, told Reuters Health. "For adolescents, the school context is very much a practice ground for behaviors as adults."

Silverman, of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, acknowledged that the new work can't tease out cause and effect. But, he added, the link is surprisingly strong and warrants further study.

"Certainly we hope this study will bring greater attention to this issue," he said.

Based on data from a survey of nearly 1,500 Boston men aged 18 to 35 years, Silverman's team found that 16 percent of the men—about one in six—said they had abused their partner physically or sexually within the past year.

Of those who admitted to recent abuse, 38 percent said they had bullied their peers frequently in school. That compared to only 12 percent of the men who hadn't maltreated their partner as adults.

After taking into account other risk factors for domestic violence—being abused as a child for instance, or witnessing abuse between parents—frequent bullying as a kid was linked to a four-fold increase in a man's risk for partner abuse.

That association was even stronger than things like having been abused as a kid.

"It was somewhat surprising that the effect for bullying was so much more powerful than many of the other issues we typically consider," Silverman said.

"The take-home message is that bullying should be an important consideration when we're thinking about reducing gender-based violence in adults," he added. "We really need to look at bullying also through that lens."

Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 am

I think it's common sense that bullies could be more abusive. Hardly much of a psychological study. lol Anybody who shows a disregard for other people should fall into that category.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am

Note to self: never date abusive Boston man. Oh, wait! I already did!
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am

Rockbird wrote:
Note to self: never date abusive Boston man. Oh, wait! I already did!

Yeah, the study didn't consider male/male partner abuse. Jim pushed me once in one of his rages. I told him never again and he knew not to get physical. He wasn't really a physical bully but had 'issues' that alienated most ppl we knew. (Oh fuck, was I co-dependent or an enabler? Actually, with him I think I was a controlling bitch.)

Psycho-babble is OK if you don't take it as credible - sorta like astrology - something to consider in passing.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:12 am

Studies never include gay domestic abuse. sad It's not taken seriously.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Uh....this is pretty much common sense. Not surprising in the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners   Schoolyard Bullies More Likely to Abuse Partners Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1