Super 8 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Super 8

Go down 
+6
Forgiveness Man
JWF
Shale
gingersnaps
Tony Marino
Supernova
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:04 pm

This new Spielberg movie comes out today and I'm sure most of us have seen the ads for it, is anybody planning to go see it? I have not been to a movie in almost an entire year so I'm thinking of taking this one in this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Im hoping to see it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
gingersnaps
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
gingersnaps

Female
Rep : 4

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 pm

I saw it a few hours ago. I thought it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Super 8
Movie Blurb by Shale
June 10, 2011

Today, I really wanted to see this movie, so I made it to the 11:45 matinee at the Regal multiplex and was enjoying it. Just as we were seeing the creature, with about 20 minutes or so left of the movie - there was a fire alarm. The strobe light came on, the screen went off and we were ordered to evacuate the theater. After wasting half an hour in and out of the theater it was finally closed. At 3:15 after goofing off for a couple of hours and the theater not yet reopened, I went home.

Now I have to go back tomorrow in order to see the crucial last 20 minutes of this film. I have no idea how it will end. However, I wasn't gonna tell you about that anyhow, so here is my blurb of most of the movie.

The setting is 1979 in Lillian, Ohio, a small factory town and we open with the death of Joe's (Joel Courtney - 15) mother. Joe's father, Jackson (Kyle Chandler) is a Deputy Sheriff.

Four months later, summer vacation and Joe and his teen friends are making an amateur zombie movie on Super 8 film (8 mm with an oxide track for sound).

Charles (Riley Griffiths - 14) is the producer/director who wants to enter the film in an amateur showing, Cary (Ryan Lee - 14) is the cameraman/pyrotechnic (actually suspect pyromaniac), Martin (Gabriel Basso - 17) is the not so bright leading man and Joe does makeup and sound. They recruited a leading lady, Alice (Elle Fanning - 13) which Joe has a huge crush for. (This movie is centered on these kids and I included all their ages because I was amazed at how accomplished they were as actors)

Shooting a Zombie Movie
Super 8 76315_gal

They all sneak out and are shooting a scene at a railroad station at night when there is a horrific train wreck they barely escape.

Super 8 77172_gal

Joe saw something knock a door off a train car and escape. Also, he picks up one of the many strange metal cubes that were being transported in this train.

Alice and Joe watch the vibrating cube
Super 8 77368_gal

Turns out it was an Air Force train and Colonel Nelec (Noah Emmerich) is in charge of the clean up operation. Immediately Deputy Jackson realizes he is being stonewalled by the military and we know it too, that this is the typical government agency hiding secrets.

People and dogs go missing, including the Sheriff, so Jackson becomes the lead law enforcement.

Deputy Jackson Investigates Scene of Mayhem
Super 8 77359_gal

We get glimpses of things being thrown with great force and cars being destroyed but never see the source. (If this sounds familiar, like the monster in Cloverfield, you should know that J.J. Abrams director of this film was a producer with Bryan Burk on that film.)

The Air Force sets a phony fire so they can evacuates the town and hunt down their escaped target. The kids figure out what is going on when they see their own footage of the train wreck after the camera dropped and was still running. Alice is missing and Joe goes off to find her.

That's about as far as I got and actually about as much as you need to know. I'll find out how it ends tomorrow - and I would recommend you go see this movie too.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 am

Seems I was in error, I would've sworn I heard somewhere that Spielberg was involved in this but the only name I'm seeing in all the credits is J.J. Abrahms, my bad. my badd
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:04 am

Supernova wrote:
Seems I was in error, I would've sworn I heard somewhere that Spielberg was involved in this but the only name I'm seeing in all the credits is J.J. Abrahms, my bad. my badd

He's one of the three listed producers with J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk.

Lots of talk about Abrams trying to emulate Spielberg his hero/mentor. Both nerds were into doing Super 8 movies in their teens, which is where the story originated (Abrams is writer).

I can relate to that since I started my still fotografy in my mid teens. Kids can be quite creative. Super 8 film wasn't around in my teens and I never got into it, but did give some thot to doing a silent 8mm film with my dad's Bell & Howell wind up cam.
Back to top Go down
JWF
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
Rep : 4

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:03 am

Very obvious take on Steven Spielberg's earlier fantasy films. Outside of some charming actors and a few decent special effects the film has too many holes and haphazard feel of a tie-in within itself. It jumps around too much to execute a believable plot. JJ Abrams lacks Mr. Spielberg's adeptness and perception. I just hope Spielberg walked out before the conclusion.

If your still interested stay around for the credits, but personally, I should have stayed home and rented "E. T". or "Close Encounters"

C

Jack
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:27 am

Hey, I had a thread on this. Razz FORGIVENESS MAN

I definitely wanna see it. Spielberg IS involved. He's producer, Abrams is director. I think it looks really good. IMO, it's getting a bad rep for the wrong reasons, IMO. Already looks better than 95% of movies released today. Haven't been to the movies in over 2 years but this looks good. big grin
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am

I might check it out. It's not on my must see list. The Green Lantern is next.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm

JWF wrote:

... Outside of some charming actors and a few decent special effects ...

That was worth my money.

I am not a critic. Oh, there are some movies that I will pan - and according to the critics for all the wrong reasons. Marie Antoinette and Somewhere are two examples - by the same director no less. Critics loved those movies - I hated them.

Again, I only go to movies for the enjoyment and this little sci-fi, PG-13 kid flick was enjoyable. But hey, I liked I Am Number 4.

BTW, while writing about decent effects (forget the monster - he was brief and at the end like Cloverfield) That train wreck was tense & exhilirating. One of those scenes you can only enjoy in theater on a huge screen with surround sound that lets you feel the impact.

Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Well I just got back from seeing it and it was good, might've actually been worth the $6.50 to see it, but yeah there were a lot of holes, a lot of things that didn't make any sense, like the dogs, and the alien kidnapping the people, it didn't make any sense. On a plus side sitting there in a dark theater room by myself, gave me plenty of time to do some musing for my writing.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Just got back from seeing it. Agree with Shale the train wreck was worth seeing on the big screen. Yes there were some holes in the film. In the scene where they found their friend hanging upside down they said the creature was eating them? I enjoyed the film, great bunch of kid actors and I like Kyle Chandler.

Supernova you paid 6.50 for the ticket it cost me 22.00 for two tickets and 21.00 for two popcorns and two sodas. How do you like that for prices to see a movie here?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
...Supernova you paid 6.50 for the ticket it cost me 22.00 for two tickets and 21.00 for two popcorns and two sodas. How do you like that for prices to see a movie here?

Yeah, what's with that Supernova? It took me 63 years to get tickets at $7.50 blank stare @ you
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
Just got back from seeing it. Agree with Shale the train wreck was worth seeing on the big screen. Yes there were some holes in the film. In the scene where they found their friend hanging upside down they said the creature was eating them? I enjoyed the film, great bunch of kid actors and I like Kyle Chandler.

Supernova you paid 6.50 for the ticket it cost me 22.00 for two tickets and 21.00 for two popcorns and two sodas. How do you like that for prices to see a movie here?

What can I say? We're a very small town. That's the afternoon matinee price, after 6 the shows are $7.50, and if you see a 3D picture it's $9.75, so I avoid them whenever possible. But yeah if I lived in a bigger city I would never be able to go to the theater. Now I have a friend in Canada and she says the movies there are only $4 to see there, among other reasons, I'm thinking about moving to Canada someday. And I have no idea how anybody can eat at these things, almost $4 for a small soda, $4 for a small popcorn, and the boxes of candy which are a dollar in any store are $3.50.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 9:18 am

Supernova wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:

What can I say? We're a very small town. That's the afternoon matinee price, after 6 the shows are $7.50, and if you see a 3D picture it's $9.75, so I avoid them whenever possible. But yeah if I lived in a bigger city I would never be able to go to the theater. Now I have a friend in Canada and she says the movies there are only $4 to see there, among other reasons, I'm thinking about moving to Canada someday. And I have no idea how anybody can eat at these things, almost $4 for a small soda, $4 for a small popcorn, and the boxes of candy which are a dollar in any store are $3.50.

What can I say thats NY for you. Imagine how much rents are here?
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 am

The previews look good. I'll probably try to see this one.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I remember when our theater had $4 Tuesdays with free regular popcorn. FORGIVENESS MAN Ah, those were the days. Now, $5 before Noon is the best deal, so we took it. It was a terrific movie. Loved every second of it. big grin (The food prices nearly made me fall over. Good thing we don't need food to enjoy a movie cause we didn't go near it. Razz )
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 7:44 am

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/12/box-office-report-super-8/

Quote :

Super 8 Super-8_320
Box office report: 'Super 8' is No. 1 with $37 mil
Jun 12 2011 03:34 PM ET
by John Young

It might be a stretch to call its opening “super,” but the sci-fi flick Super 8 enjoyed a solid start with $37 million this weekend, according to studio estimates. The $50 million movie, which was directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg, fell just a bit short of other recent original sci-fi flicks such as District 9 ($37.4 million) and the Abrams-produced Cloverfield ($40.1 million), but performed better than this year’s Battle: Los Angeles ($35.6 million). With a story that’s set in 1979 and a tone that emulates Spielberg’s own pictures during that era, the well-reviewed film particularly appealed to older moviegoers. According to Paramount, a whopping 71 percent of Super 8‘s audience was at least 25 years old. IMAX theaters accounted for 12 percent of the PG-13 film’s gross, and CinemaScore moviegoers gave it an overall “B+” rating, which could bode well for its staying power. By comparison, Cloverfield received a “C” grade from CinemaScore audiences, and then plummeted 68 percent in its second weekend.

The children’s film Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer debuted in seventh place to earnings of $6.3 million. The PG movie, based on Megan McDonald’s popular book series, received discouraging reviews but a favorable “B+” from CinemaScore audiences. Then again, 60 percent of CinemaScore’s graders were under 18 and handed the picture an “A-” rating, while those 25 and up (read: parents) opted for a “C+” mark. The $20 million comedy skewed female, with women of all ages composing 78 percent of the audience.

In second place, X-Men: First Class dropped 55 percent for $25 million. While by no means a great hold, that does represent a smaller second-weekend decline than three of the last four X-Men movies — only X2: X-Men United held up better. On the other hand, every other X-Men film had grossed more at this point than First Class, which has so far collected $98.9 million. The Hangover Part II fell 41 percent, for a $18.5 million weekend. On Saturday, the R-rated comedy became the year’s highest grossing movie; it has now earned $216.6 million in three weeks. Kung Fu Panda 2 dipped only 30 percent for $16.6 million, while Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides sailed past the $200 million milestone with $10.8 million. Also, Woody Allen’s nostalgic comedy Midnight in Paris expanded to 944 theaters and took in $6.1 million.

In limited release, the critically acclaimed British comedy The Trip, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, opened to an okay $84,600 at six locations. Check back next week as Green Lantern confronts his lifelong nemesis: Mr. Popper’s Penguins.

1. Super 8 — $37.0 mil
2. X-Men: First Class — $25.0 mil
3. The Hangover Part II — $18.5 mil
4. Kung Fu Panda 2 — $16.6 mil
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides — $10.8 mil
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:49 am

I think it did well for a limited budget film and the fact that it wasn't a mindless franchise or sequel. Hope it continues to do well next week too.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I finally saw this. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen but I'm glad I didn't waste the price of a ticket on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Super 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super 8   Super 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Super 8
Page 1 of 1