CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There Empty Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- One of the major stories that broke this past weekend at the "38th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards" was that ABC has indeed received offers to purchase both "All My Children" and "One Life to Live," not even three months after announcing it was canceling the programs citing poor ratings and advertising returns. We were originally waiting to give a full report on this situation before going to press, but once the news broke on Twitter, we decided to confirm the story as we continued to investigate to get more details. After speaking with several independent sources it has been confirmed 100% that ABC has declined offers for both shows. Obviously, just like all of you, we wondered why would ABC decline such offers? Soap Opera Network began to dig a little more, questioning the original sources, and here's what we know.

The general consensus is ABC does not want to see these shows succeed anywhere else fearing it would only be like pouring salt on the wound. Not only would they then have to deal with the criticism for canceling them, but then having to deal with the backlash once another outlet was able to make these shows more successful. It's just not something ABC wants to deal with, given the slack they have taken since the original announcement back in April. If this were to happen, it would be another instance where a series found bigger success on another network. "JAG" left NBC and became a huge hit for CBS in the 1990's and even spawned two spin-off's in "NCIS" and "NCIS: LA." On The CW, "Girlfriends" spin-off "The Game" rated low on the Women 18-34 centric netlet only to become the highest rated original comedy series on cable when it debuted earlier this year on BET.

In the case of "One Life to Live," the fact that the soap has increased its ratings since the announcement and now holds the title of ABC's top soap in viewers, and recently key demographics, while every other soap during this time has seen their ratings continue to decline including "General Hospital," which will remain on the air as ABC's sole soap opera, has not gone unnoticed by Disney/ABC suits. Although there are currently no plans to change the networks current course of action, industry insiders are speculating that the network may be keeping "One Life" in its back pocket just in case "The Chew" fails miserably when it debuts on Monday, September 26, just days after "All My Children" goes off the air (at least on ABC). Speaking with Susan Lucci during the Starkey Hearing Foundation charity event held on Saturday, June 18 at the Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, daytime's biggest star told Soap Opera Network when asked if the show could possibly continue post ABC that it is a "possibility... I don't believe on ABC. But I think it is a possibility it will continue."

Initially when pressed for comment, an ABC representative declined, but has since stated "I have nothing to add about the purchase offer rumors." This spoke volumes because if there had not been offers there would be no reason for them not to deny the rumors. Adding more fuel to the fire, if you remember those Chrishell Stause tweets back in early May late April where she said "a little birdie on a big chair leaked possible HUGE information to me big grin My lips are sealed but it has a possibility of making many happy!" only to find herself in the middle of her own controversy over those comments, well it turns out she may have in fact been referring to both shows receiving offers from interested parties, who are looking to take both soap operas off of ABC's hands. Remember the very brief statement we received from Sony Pictures Television about their interest in the shows being "just pure speculation?" Not speculation at all, it turns out.

While speaking with a higher up at ABC this past week, they could not help but chuckle at how the fans have jumped on Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney/ABC Television Group, even referring to them as "clueless" stating that Frons had very little if anything to do with these decisions and is being used as the scapegoat by Anne Sweeney, Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks and President, Disney/ABC Television Group, and her bosses, who were the ones to make the decisions to cancel. It is also being widely speculated that it is only a matter of time before ABC lets Frons go as damage control to try and make peace with fans. Sweeney and company could not ask for a better scenario, they make the decisions that have upset fans through out the country and the fans in return hand wrap with a bow a sacrificial lamb that they could use to help mend the fences. The same source tells Soap Opera Network that ABC is trying to figure out the best time to fire Frons, to help repair the damage done with the fans and make them feel like all of their rallying has actually accomplished something. According to a network insider requesting anonymity, Frons is likely to be on his way out just before "The Chew" debuts this fall.

We will continue to follow this story as it develops, please stay tuned for more details...

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/item/4920-oops-abc-did-it-again-it-is-getting-ugly-over-there

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There Empty Re: Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There

Post by Chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 am

Every time a soap is cancelled, there is much speculation about how they might get shopped and sold to another network. All it is is a ploy to give the more frazzled and naive fans false hope to keep them tuning in until the last episode airs. I never thought that ABC would sell OLTL or AMC to another network/production company, and I don't too much believe that they even received any offers. The industry has shitted on soaps for years, and I'd be hard pressed to know why any company allegedly interested in buying one of these cancelled shows haven't developed any brand new soaps of their own.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There Empty Re: Oops! ABC Did It Again: It is Getting Ugly Over There

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

Yeah its all a bunch of bull. Are we still on for DOOL?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 am

^ Yep. I'll add it to my DVR for Monday.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 am

YOur gonna start watching it on Monday? If so I will too.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 am

Tony Marino wrote:YOur gonna start watching it on Monday? If so I will too.

Yeah, may as well. We originally said June, right? Gonna be awkward to get into a new soap you never watched before, but no better time than the present.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Chris wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:YOur gonna start watching it on Monday? If so I will too.

Yeah, may as well. We originally said June, right? Gonna be awkward to get into a new soap you never watched before, but no better time than the present.

If its too much we can always skip the summer and move on in September sometime.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd go back to Days if it weren't for the Dimeras. As long as they're dominating the show and getting away with everything, I have no interest on Days, though I loved the show years ago.

ABC is pathetic and I hope the network sinks as fast as those stupid new shows they're bringing on to replace the soaps.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:04 am

I have never really watched Days so it will be a new experience for me.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm

I watched for years but it got too heavy on the Dimeras, who were villains who n ever paid and ruled the show. Plus, they killed off or got rid of too many favs, and broke up the remaining favs, so there was little reason for me to continue watching. I hope you enjoy it, though!
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 pm

screw ABC... I hope the replacement shows tank and burn fast.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am