CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+13
TSJFan4Ever
CeCe
RobbieFTW
CatEyes10736
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Nhaiyel
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
17 posters

Texas man dumps 4-year-old son by highway

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Texas man dumps 4-year-old son by highway

Post by Chris Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BOY_ABANDONED_TEXAS?SITE=TXBEA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Police: Texas man dumps 4-year-old son by highway
    (AP) – 16 hours ago

Texas man dumps 4-year-old son by highway Dcbf01c27af1498bb3b774d3273e0d0b_mn

SWEETWATER, Texas (AP) — A father abandoned his 4-year-old son along a West Texas highway, and the injured boy spent several hours alone in the dark before a passing motorist picked him up, police said.

Carlos Rico, 22, stopped his car along a cactus-lined stretch of Interstate 20 near Sweetwater at about 3 a.m. Tuesday and "threw the boy out of the car like a bag of garbage," Sweetwater police Chief Jim Kelley told the Abilene Reporter-News on Tuesday.

The boy was picked up about three hours later by the local high school basketball coach and taken to a hospital, where doctors removed at least 500 cactus spines from the child's body, Kelley said. The boy was in the state's custody on Wednesday.

"I've seen a lot of bad things. This is absolutely a first. I've never seen a 4-year-old angel left on the side of the road for dead. He's such a sweet little boy," he said.

Rico was driving from Lubbock to Saginaw when he abandoned his son, and he was taken into custody Tuesday by police in the Fort Worth suburb, Saginaw police spokesman Damon Ing told The Associated Press on Wednesday. Rico's cousin called police when Rico showed up to see him without his son, and investigators determined that Rico was the father of the boy found near Sweetwater, he said.

Rico told Saginaw investigators that God told him to choke the boy and expel him from the car, Kelley said. There was bruising on the boy's throat, he said.

Ing said Rico had been charged with child endangerment and did not have a lawyer representing him. His bond was set at $50,000.

Al Hunt, the motorist who found the boy, said he initially thought he was looking at a guardrail post until it moved.

"It took me seconds to realize, 'it's a little kid there,'" the 54-year-old coach said.

He said he pulled over and, not seeing a vehicle the child might have been in, ran across the road and scooped the boy into his arms. He said the boy's lips were cracked as if he were dehydrated, and that the only response the boy gave to his questions was when he held up four fingers when Hunt asked his age.

"He didn't say a word to me. He didn't say a word to anybody. He never said a word," Hunt said.

Kelley said Rico would be brought to Sweetwater, about 225 miles west of Dallas, where he could face additional charges, including attempted murder or attempted capital murder, which could apply because the boy is younger than 6, he said.

The boy's stepmother in Lubbock came to Sweetwater to be with him. The whereabouts of the boy's biological mother were not immediately known, and it was unclear if she is involved in his life.

Marleigh Meisner, a spokeswoman for Child Protective Services, told The Associated Press that there is no history of abuse involving the boy's family. She said a custody hearing is set for July 7.

Associated Press writer Betsy Blaney can be reached at http://twitter.com/betsyblaney

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

News Re: Texas man dumps 4-year-old son by highway

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 am

Sad how parents throw away their gifts so easily.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:32 am

If ever there was a person that the term 'should be drug out into the street and shot' fit like a glove, this would be it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 am

It's disheartening to imagine a four year old baby wandering along the highway, abandoned and alone, in the wee hours of the morning. How anyone, especially the damn parent, could do such a thing is incomprehensible and makes me want to spit.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 pm

I hope the boy is given to people who will love him and help him thrive and that his father gets what he deserves.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm

damn, that was sad.. hope the boy goes to a loving family.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 pm

I vote we load a rifle with cactus spikes and... well you know the rest.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Rico told Saginaw investigators that God told him to choke the boy and expel him from the car, Kelley said. There was bruising on the boy's throat, he said.
    Does it sound like he's trying to lay the groundwork for an insanity defense? Yeah but if he does have schizophrenia, we should hold off on the lynch mobs.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

This is sickening, they need to do the same to this idiot, tie him to a nice spikey cactus and every couple of hours have a rope around his neck and choke him and tell him God is sending them message.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

That's terrible. *shaking my head*
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 pm

What an awful story. My heart sunk thinking about a little boy abandoned on a dangerous area, totally unable to fend for himself and vulnerable to all kinds of things out there by himself. I'm glad a good samaritan rescued him before anything bad happened, but I'm still stunned by the cruelty of the situation. I hope the child winds up in the hands of someone who will care for him like every child that age needs to be.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Wish I could take the boy in and be the loving dad that his own scum of a dad refuses to be.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 am

Thank goodness someone saw that child & helped him.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 am

How heartbreaking! That poor little boy!!!!! I'm so glad that someone found him!
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Cruel world some people live in. I can't conceive of abandoning a child on the highway at night. The guy could have driven the boy to a hospital, a shelter or even (wretch) a church, and left him there if he suddenly decided he couldn't be a dad anymore.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:28 pm

I wonder who crazy atheists blame when they hurt or kill their children.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:08 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:What an awful story. My heart sunk thinking about a little boy abandoned on a dangerous area, totally unable to fend for himself and vulnerable to all kinds of things out there by himself. I'm glad a good samaritan rescued him before anything bad happened, but I'm still stunned by the cruelty of the situation. I hope the child winds up in the hands of someone who will care for him like every child that age needs to be.
    It is scary. I was a young man when I got stranded a couple hundred miles west of where this took place. (Hitch hiking from Cali my ride went I-20 I was going I-10) It was evening and I was in a desolate hiway with nothing around. Thots of coyotes, wild pigs and wolves came to mind, not to mention the rattlesnakes. I was so relieved to get a ride before it got dark. Can't imagine this poor kid enduring that, with the pain of cactus barbs all over his body. This is the time I viscerally wish that "cruel and unusual" caveate could be removed from our constitution.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Impact wrote:Cruel world some people live in. I can't conceive of abandoning a child on the highway at night. The guy could have driven the boy to a hospital, a shelter or even (wretch) a church, and left him there if he suddenly decided he couldn't be a dad anymore.

The guy was probably too chicken shit to face people looking at him like the loser he is for dumping his kid so he took the cowards way out and just ditched him without prying eyes.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:47 am

Wow, this is so disturbing. I just don't understand where people go in their mind to do something like this. Bless that man who did stop and pick the boy up, bringing him to saftey.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:16 pm

2xy wrote:I wonder who crazy atheists blame when they hurt or kill their children.

Dog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:21 pm