Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?

Go down 
+9
captainbryce
tmontyb
Jason B.
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Shale
RedBedroom
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? Empty
PostSubject: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 am

When someone around you says something bigoted or racist, do you call them on it, or do you ignore it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 am

I call them on it.

The only time I didn't was when I was in 7th grade, and my computer teacher told me that I couldn't do my Black History Month report on Ramses II, because he wasn't black enough. blank stare @ you
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:05 am

It depends on the setting. I don't allow it at all in my home. I used to put up with it with my son's uncle, but in recent months, I have stopped tolerating it.

Other than in my home, the only time I really see it is in a group, and I usually don't speak up then.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 am

I call them on it and don't mince words.

I had a black coworker (Miami-Dade County School Teacher no less) kept using the word "faggot." I let her know in no uncertain terms that her use of "faggot" was offensive slang, no less so than my use of "nigger."

Same with a formally educated coworker from Chile, who used to refer to "niggers." Now I thot it was the language (he said "foot fingers" for toes, which translates correctly from "dedos de pies.") But after informing him that it was offensive, he kept using it until I started calling him a spic every time I heard it.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Depends on the situation and person. I usually call them on it. I remember one time I got a text from one of my co-workers that read "from a spic to a nigga, what's up?" That rubbed me the wrong way and I definitely called him out for it.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Online, yes. In person, I'm more mellow.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:

It's the opposite for me. I expect people to be dicks online because they can and so when I see written racist rhetoric, chances are I'll ignore it because what else can you do but report it. In person, I'd be more likely to say something.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 11:04 am

Jason B. wrote:
Forgiveness Man wrote:

It's the opposite for me. I expect people to be dicks online because they can and so when I see written racist rhetoric, chances are I'll ignore it because what else can you do but report it. In person, I'd be more likely to say something.

I agree. People say things online that they'd NEVER say in public.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Chris wrote:
When someone around you says something bigoted or racist, do you call them on it, or do you ignore it?
It depends on the situation. Sometimes people need to be put in their place, but on the other hand, on certain occassions you will find that some battles just aren't worth fighting.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:05 pm

It really depends on the setting for me and what the person says. sometimes I'll make a comment but not always, because some people... well - you know it won't make any difference 'cause they're idiots already. Actually, the times I most often experience racism come from one particular cultural/ethnic group who are extremely racist and it's sad, because they once faced racism themselves. Thankfully, it's not something I come across too often other than with this particular ethnic group.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:18 pm

captainbryce wrote:
It depends on the situation. Sometimes people need to be put in their place, but on the other hand, on certain occassions you will find that some battles just aren't worth fighting.
Actually, my old Mississippi raised dad continued using the word nigger in conversation even after he knew I was living with a black woman. He wasn't particularly racist, just used the term he grew up with. And I didn't think it was a fight worth fighting. Easier to make a leopard change its spots. (Oh, my wife also used nigger now and then, sometimes addressing her own sisters.)
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:16 pm

I usually do not because I think people are entitled to their own opinions, good or bad.

One of my friends is very racist, and she knows that I have a bit of a problem with it, but we do our best to respect each other's opinion. Only once did we have words. I broke down and said something, mainly because she got too carried away and I didn't want to hear it anymore.

But, although skin color isn't the problem, I'm not without my own little biases and neither are most people.
Back to top Go down
2xy
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
2xy

Female
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Depends on intent, usually. There was a young Asian couple in the supermarket today, and they were speaking to each other in their native language. An old white man overheard them and asked them "Is that Japanese or Chinese?" They said it was Mandarin Chinese. He exclaimed that he heard that was hard to learn, and asked them if English was as hard to learn. The woman shrugged and said she didn't know. Probably she grew up bilingual. The old man's comments were a bit racist, but he meant no harm.

My ex-husband's grandfather still refers to black people as "darkies." They live in East Bumfuck, Ohio. Grandpa doesn't dislike black people. His neighbors, who are nearly as old as him (90-ish) are black and he's lived next door to them and been friendly with them for over 60 years. It's just cultural. Probably his neighbor refers to him as "whitey." Whatever. They're freakin' old and they aren't going to change.

If someone is being hateful or ugly, I say something. Even in person.
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I normally don't say anything--I just look at the offender funny or stop participating in the conversation until they get the point. If I don't know them that well, it's really not worth picking a fight over because they're either intentionally trying to cause a scene for saying it around non-familiar company, or they really don't know any better. But if it's someone that I have to encounter frequently, I'll correct them if they offend more than once.

For example, I had an older white lady as a coworker who consistently referred to black folks as "colored" and anyone of Latino descent as "Mexican." I ignored her at first until both terms came up in one sentence. And I just kept it factual--told her that no one without significant age says "colored" and only people from Mexico are considered Mexican; call someone from El Salvador "Mexican" and she might get her ass handed to her.

I think it was the part about seeming aged that made her stop. eye roll
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?   Do you call people on their racism and bigotry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you call people on their racism and bigotry?
Page 1 of 1