CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
RedBedroom
Shale
Marc™
Supernova
DanaShelbyChancey
Hyacinth Girl
Chris
11 posters

How do *you* handle a child crying in public?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How do *you* handle a child crying in public? Empty How do *you* handle a child crying in public?

Post by Chris Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:05 am

If you had/have children, or ever taken care of any, and they start to act up in public with a bunch of screaming and crying; how do/did/would handle it? Do you try to be sensitive and calm them down, or are you more likely to lose your temper and lay down the law (i.e., start to threaten to do this/that to them if they don't shut up?)

When you were a child, how did your parents react to your tantrums?

Funny story, I can recall being about six years old and throwing a fit in a store; it was just after Christmas and as I whined and carried on, my mom grabbed my arm and said that she thought that maybe I had too many toys under the tree and that when we got home I could help her throw some of them away. That worked.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

How do *you* handle a child crying in public? Empty Re: How do *you* handle a child crying in public?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

I never went ballistic on my daughter--she was for the most part, naturally well behaved. Occasionally, she'd get in a snit about something, and I'd calmly say to her "Well, I'm terribly sorry you feel that way, so you better grab hold of yourself, because that kind of behavior is unacceptable once you get into school and later become an adult."

That usually stopped her from having a meltdown, and I'd also use other childrens' public tantrums to show her as an example of how she'd look if she had a flake-out. She got to the point of actually commenting on them herself and what brats they were being. LOL

With other children, I was always the token Chaperone Mom throughout school years, so I got to really know a lot of the kids. The troublemakers always got put in my group, because the teachers always knew I was the one to not take any crap. I'd go for the humor aspect to befriend them and get everyone laughing, and if that didn't work, I'd do my "scary voice"--I can make it sound deep and formidable and even my husband fears it! big grin
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

How do *you* handle a child crying in public? Empty Re: How do *you* handle a child crying in public?

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 am

I don't have kids, but when a kid is crying, most parents do nothing because they don't want CPS called! Here in NJ if you give your kid a dirty look, someone will call CPS on you.

When I was a kid...the good old 1960's, the golden era of physical punishment! I would act up in public, my mom or dad would bust me a good one across the mouth or butt. That caused me to burst out into a howling cry, but when I got hold of myself, I made sure I straightened up.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

I NEVER had a tantrum, least of all not in public, I always knew better than that. I learned long time ago you don't always get what you want and you often have to use your own money to get it. So, I think it's naturally, I have no patience or sympathy towards these crying screaming brats who throw fits because they don't get what they want.

And it's funny, my brother and I were having a discussion last night and he mentioned that he'd like to have a kid someday, and it'd be cool to have this scenario play out in real life: you and your kid are at Walmart and another kid is having a screaming fit, and YOUR kid turns to THAT mother and says 'lady will you make your kid shut up and behave!?' LMAO! That would be SO good, I'd like to have smart kids like that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 am

Low tolerance for temper tantrums. I won't slap a kid in public and cause a scene, but I will very calmly (but menacingly) explain what will happen to them later on if they don't cut that shit out immediately. It usually worked with my kids.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 am

Kids of my generation didn't have tantrums. If they wanted to cry it was because their butt hurt from mom or dad tanning it for them.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Acting out wasn't an option for me. Nor was it for my son.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I never through tantrums. I just wasn't that type of child. I have some crying fits, but they were only if I was generally scared, like when we went through a haunted house.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm

I can't recall either my brother or I pitching fits and having a conniption. My daughter went through a stage as a toddler when she would have one when it was time to bring her home from a friend's house. Trying to get her in the car seat was like trying to bend a steel bar but I got her ass in it and let her howl her lungs out on the drive home. My wife had her shopping one time and she had a hissy. My daughter that time, not my wife. Deb brought her out of the store, put her in the car and stood outside until she calmed down. Our daughter. She doesn't know if someone saw the hysterics or if the cop was just on patrol but one pulled up and asked my wife if everything was alright. She explained the situation and that was that.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 pm

A prof of mine had a great solution - she made a sign that said "Tantrum in progress. We'll be with you shortly." and she'd stand there with a pleasant smile on her face and hold up her sign. Said ti only took two tries before her son realized he wasn't getting the attention he wanted and he never threw another tantrum in public again.

I'd try to do all I could to prevent the tantrum - not take the kid out when he or she is tired or hungry or when it's nap time, carry little snacks with me, and so on.

If my kid did throw a tantrum, I'd calmly explain I"d be back for my groceries another time and remove the child to the car, where I'd let him or her scream it out and then we'd go home and next time, the child wouldn't get to come out with me.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Marc™ wrote:Low tolerance for temper tantrums. I won't slap a kid in public and cause a scene, but I will very calmly (but menacingly) explain what will happen to them later on if they don't cut that shit out immediately. It usually worked with my kids.

How do *you* handle a child crying in public? 35166

I remember when I tried to throw a tantrum in public. All my mother did was look at me and it stopped before it got started.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:55 am