CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
wants2laugh
Marc™
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
12 posters

Should gay actors admit to being gay?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should gay actors admit to being gay? Empty Should gay actors admit to being gay?

Post by Chris Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Do you think actors who're gay/bisexual should publicly acknowledge it? Of course it boils down to choice, but in general is this something that you think they should choose to do?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should gay actors admit to being gay? Empty Re: Should gay actors admit to being gay?

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 am

Don't really care for the word "admit" since it's generally associated with wrongdoing & being gay isn't wrong. But should they come out? Only if it's what they want. It's their life & they have to be the only ones to make that decision especially since they're the ones who are going to be dealing with any consequences in a society that continues to be arrogant, judgmental & bigoted.

And I HATE outing. People should be able to say they're gay without losing their careers or the things dear to them. But no one has the right to make that decision for them. So while they should be able to, they should never be forced or pressured.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should gay actors admit to being gay? Empty Re: Should gay actors admit to being gay?

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am

It's their decision. Shouldn't be forced upon them. I'd personally prefer not hearing much in the way of any celeb's sexuality. IMO, more people should keep their personal lives out of the press, regardless of what it is. I don't go asking personal details about the people at the supermarket or at the mall. I am equally as uninterested in what my entertainers do in their spare time.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am

I think its a good thing yes. More gay visibility is always a plus and celebrities have more social influence to more change minds. Wouldnt say they need to be outed but why not just admit it before the rumors start and hound ur whole freakin career (Tom Cruise, John Travolta) and it becomes like a punchline.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 am

If they feel comfortable about it then why not.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 am

I don't care one way or the other, they should do what they want. Although it doesn't make much sense to hide it when people know you're gay. Like Queen Latifah.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:15 pm

If the celebrity's sexuality has been constantly questioned and is so obvious to the point where everybody pretty much knows the truth (Queen Latifah) then they may as well admit the shit if only to change the subject. I don't care though.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:14 pm

I think it is their personal decision. A few decades ago, interracial relationships were not accepted. Homosexuality was a psychological disorder listed in the medical books. When differences are not discussed, social changes do not occur, and ignorance remains intact. That is not to say that I want to see a couple of guys in a gay pride parade dressed in S&M gear whipping eachother and making out. I would not want to see heterosexuals doing this, so it is not being prejudice, I just think sex should be private in a way. If you have sex outdoors, so be it, but try to do it in seclusion, gay or straight.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 pm

wants2laugh wrote:I think it is their personal decision. A few decades ago, interracial relationships were not accepted. Homosexuality was a psychological disorder listed in the medical books. When differences are not discussed, social changes do not occur, and ignorance remains intact. That is not to say that I want to see a couple of guys in a gay pride parade dressed in S&M gear whipping eachother and making out. I would not want to see heterosexuals doing this, so it is not being prejudice, I just think sex should be private in a way. If you have sex outdoors, so be it, but try to do it in seclusion, gay or straight.

I agree with everything you said, but I think you got a bit off-topic. Blue Cool
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:44 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:
    wants2laugh wrote:I think it is their personal decision. A few decades ago, interracial relationships were not accepted. Homosexuality was a psychological disorder listed in the medical books. When differences are not discussed, social changes do not occur, and ignorance remains intact. That is not to say that I want to see a couple of guys in a gay pride parade dressed in S&M gear whipping eachother and making out. I would not want to see heterosexuals doing this, so it is not being prejudice, I just think sex should be private in a way. If you have sex outdoors, so be it, but try to do it in seclusion, gay or straight.

I agree with everything you said, but I think you got a bit off-topic. Blue Cool

I co-sign what Kirsten said and I don't think she wandered far off topic. I interpret her meaning that times have changed to the point where coming out of the closet shouldn't kill a career but it's still up to that individual. Except for male pro-athletes. Coming out while you're still playing (a team sport) will probably shorten your career. It's not right but that's what's very likely to happen.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Do you think actors who're gay/bisexual should publicly acknowledge it?
    Only once they have established themselves as a successful, versitile actor, only if their sexuality is the subject of much talk/debate in the public and only if they are comfortable doing so. I think that a young actor comming out as gay might cause him to be typecast as "the gay character". Neil Patrick Harris had taken on soley straight roles before he was outed and it hasn't hurt his career any. He is still known for his convincing portrayal as straight characters. But if he had come out early in his career (say after Doogie Howser), do you think he would still be taken seriously in the roles that he's historically taken on? Probably not!

I also think that any actor who is comfortable enough with being "a star" should also be comfortable enough being a gay star who represents the gay community. I'm always impressed when a star publically comes out after a while, but I also understand when stars do nothing to advertise their sexuality. Jodie Foster is the best example I can think of. She's never publically came out or discussed her sex life, but everyone knows she is gay and she is totally comfortable with that. She's never denied it, and I respect that much more. She is an example of someone who represents the gay community in the most low key way that doesn't flaut her sexuality in a way that people will accuse her of pushing an "agenda".
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:

I co-sign what Kirsten said and I don't think she wandered far off topic. I interpret her meaning that times have changed to the point where coming out of the closet shouldn't kill a career but it's still up to that individual. Except for male pro-athletes. Coming out while you're still playing (a team sport) will probably shorten your career. It's not right but that's what's very likely to happen.

Well, it's a big leap from saying that people should come out to assuming that we're all going to start fucking in the streets. blank stare @ you
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:
    Alan Smithee wrote:

Well, it's a big leap from saying that people should come out to assuming that we're all going to start fucking in the streets. blank stare @ you

Oh no! That's a central issue to the conversattion!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Marc™️ wrote:If the celebrity's sexuality has been constantly questioned and is so obvious to the point where everybody pretty much knows the truth (Queen Latifah) then they may as well admit the shit if only to change the subject. I don't care though.
    co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:22 pm