CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
Nhaiyel
CeCe
Impact
Chris
Supernova
12 posters

The 27 Club just got a new member

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The 27 Club just got a new member Empty The 27 Club just got a new member

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London home. I really can't say much about the whole thing except it's no shocker because she was more famous for her arrests and alcohol/drug use than her music, I heard about her arrests LONG before I ever heard that she was a singer.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43866337?gt1=43001
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The 27 Club just got a new member Empty Re: The 27 Club just got a new member

Post by Chris Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm

jaw dropz

I'm shocked, theoretically. Sadly, it is believable.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 pm

A tragic end, but I won't pretend to be surprised by this news. The music world has been anticipating Winehouse's death for as long as she's been famous.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:23 pm

She had the most incredible voice. This is a terrible waste. I just hope she is finally at peace.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Impact wrote:A tragic end, but I won't pretend to be surprised by this news. The music world has been anticipating Winehouse's death for as long as she's been famous.

True. I think I'm more thrown by the whole '27' irony than her death itself.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Chris wrote:
    Impact wrote:A tragic end, but I won't pretend to be surprised by this news. The music world has been anticipating Winehouse's death for as long as she's been famous.

True. I think I'm more thrown by the whole '27' irony than her death itself.

Exactly, what IS it about 27 being a common age when music stars drop like flies?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:27 pm

So sad but, unfortunately, not a surprise…but even though it is not a surprise, considering her lifestyle, death should always incite feelings of sadness or shock; especially when it takes someone at such a young age. Too often it's the soulful, organic entertainers, who - despite their true performances - aren't comfortable enough in their own skins to allow their talent to motivate them more than their demons. Rest in peace Amy. sad
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:So sad but, unfortunately, not a surprise…but even though it is not a surprise, considering her lifestyle, death should always incite feelings of sadness or shock; especially when it takes someone at such a young age. Too often it's the soulful, organic entertainers, who - despite their true performances - aren't comfortable enough in their own skins to allow their talent to motivate them more than their demons. Rest in peace Amy. sad

VERY well said & refreshing compared to some of the asshattery comments on other sites. big hugz
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Supernova wrote:Exactly, what IS it about 27 being a common age when music stars drop like flies?
    Shrugs (Oh well…) IDK. I just said the same thing to my wife when I read the news and MSN. Sort of like being the keyboard player for the Grateful Dead.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Current members:
    Robert Johnson (Blues legend)
    Brian Jones (Co-founder of the Rolling Stones)
    Jimi Hendrix
    Janis Joplin
    Jim Morrison
    Kurt Cobain
    Pete Ham (Badfinger)
    Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (Original Grateful Dead keyboard player too. Double whammy)
    Mia Zapata (The Gits
    Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
    Pete de Freitas (Echo and the Bunnymen)

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Current members:
    Robert Johnson (Blues legend)
    Brian Jones (Co-founder of the Rolling Stones)
    Jimi Hendrix
    Janis Joplin
    Jim Morrison
    Kurt Cobain
    Pete Ham (Badfinger)
    Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (Original Grateful Dead keyboard player too. Double whammy)
    Mia Zapata (The Gits
    Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
    Pete de Freitas (Echo and the Bunnymen)

Thanks for posting that...I was just going to Google the list. I honestly assumed the list would be longer.

The news is sad for those who loved her. She lived hard, and it caught up with her.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:15 am

This is not sad.

This is not tragic.

She did it to herself, used her drug addiction to get rich ("Rehab") and repeatedly refused treatment.

Let's move on.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:35 am

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. It truly is sad and tragic. This woman had a talent like no other. Remarkable, remarkable, remarkable voice. It's a shame that it has been wasted. I have both of Amy's albums and I must say that "Frank" was truly a masterpiece....right along with Back to Black. She had demons. She had issues. So does/do everybody fucking else. To not acknowledge a young life, no matter what she battled with during her life, that has been taken far too soon is sadder than her drug abuse. RIP Amy. Your music and voice will truly be missed.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:38 am

Giving my post a negative vote doesn't make me feel bad about a woman whose death was essentially a drawn-out suicide. Especially when the woman is somebody I did not know personally. Cold, maybe. But honest.

Every CD purchased or single downloaded... that was more drug money. It's a bit weird to praise this woman and feel bad for her when people had a helping hand in her "tragic" end.

Bull.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:43 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Giving my post a negative vote doesn't make me feel bad about a woman whose death was essentially a drawn-out suicide. Especially when the woman is somebody I did not know personally. Cold, maybe. But honest.

I don't care what you feel. I didn't like it. I gave it a negative rep. The 27 Club just got a new member 2517814472

Every CD purchased or single downloaded... that was more drug money. It's a bit weird to praise this woman and feel bad for her when people had a helping hand in her "tragic" end.

Bull.

Nobody is 'praising' her for using drugs. The only praise that was bestowed upon her is her talent, which she DID have and which she DID waste. After all is said and done, this is a 27 yr old woman who is dead. Anybody dying at that young of age when they have their whole life ahead of them is tragic. I don't care if they're drug addicts or not.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:46 am

I don't think it's tragic. This was expected. What happened in Norway, that is tragedy.

The woman sang about her addiction and her determined refusal to accept treatment.

People bought this music and paid to see her live. In other words, she exploited her drug addiction to get more money for drugs.

And know it's "tragic."

No, it was tragic years ago when people bought into it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:50 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Giving my post a negative vote doesn't make me feel bad about a woman whose death was essentially a drawn-out suicide. Especially when the woman is somebody I did not know personally. Cold, maybe. But honest.

I don't care what you feel. I didn't like it. I gave it a negative rep. The 27 Club just got a new member 2517814472

Bull.

Nobody is 'praising' her for using drugs. The only praise that was bestowed upon her is her talent, which she DID have and which she DID waste. After all is said and done, this is a 27 yr old woman who is dead. Anybody dying at that young of age when they have their whole life ahead of them is tragic. I don't care if they're drug addicts or not.

This is true, I'm not much for Janis Joplin, but what could she have done if she had lived longer? Jimmi Hendrix? And even getting out of the 27 club, Biggie and Tupac, Lisa Lopes, Keith Moon, what more could they have accomplished in their lives? Or even going to the older musicians, Freddie Mercury, had he lived you can be sure he would've still been full of talent and surprises and ways to outdo himself. With exceptions, the good die young, death and fate are all a bunch of cruel jokes on a lot of people who deserved better.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I wasn't fan, never heard any of her music.

This is sad tho, RIP.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:04 pm

I figured that substance abuse would be her demise, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. RIP.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I hope others out there with these issues will pay attention. No matter how many times you appear to be virtually invincible, it will eventually catch up with you. What a sad tragic waste.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:55 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:This is not sad.

This is not tragic.

She did it to herself, used her drug addiction to get rich ("Rehab") and repeatedly refused treatment.

Let's move on.
    co-signs

Well, it is tragic in that any suicide is, but that was her self-destructive choice and it came to fruition.

Somehow I have escaped the drug addiction. My partner Jim kicked smack cold-turkey but that was before we hooked up. I stopped him from getting drunk - by letting him know I would not live with it. Too bad there wasn't such a controlling bitch in Amy's life that could reach her.

So, I do not understand why ppl don't see the danger in which they engage, but when it does its ultimate, predictable end, I have to just say it was their choice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 am