CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Chris
9 posters

Giving up your social security number

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Giving up your social security number Empty Giving up your social security number

Post by Chris Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 am

Do you easily offer your SSN when asked? Like, say, when you're dealing with customer service and are asked for your ten digits, because it's protocol, do you resist telling them?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Giving up your social security number Empty Re: Giving up your social security number

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:57 am

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Giving up your social security number Empty Re: Giving up your social security number

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 am

I give my SS only when absolutely necessary. Had a dentist office tell me they needed it once. I asked them if they were offering me a job. She said no & I said well then you don't need it. The strangest place that asked for it was when I needed to buy a money order. Weird lol
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:06 am

Don't give it out like Hello's, that's for sure.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am

CeCe wrote:I give my SS only when absolutely necessary. Had a dentist office tell me they needed it once. I asked them if they were offering me a job. She said no & I said well then you don't need it. ...
    That is my tactic. It has always been routine on many forms, especially doctors - but I leave it blank and seldom does the receptionist enquire. Guess other old curmudgeons have been there before me.

Ultimately it is the fault of our politicians (I don't say 'elected leaders' for a reason). The feds need to make a law saying social security numbers are to be given out ONLY for employment and tax reasons. When a few of them get their identities stolen that law may come around.

BTW, I just found out that the military, since I was in, went from serial numbers to using social security numbers - right out there in the open all over the place, including dog tags for any ID thief to get - along with your name. Duh!!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 am

I don't give it out freely, bu it seems all medical forms require it. I don't list my son's on any of those forms when asked. His number doesn't need to be in several places before he's even an adult.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:51 am

I only give it when necessary. Most of the time, they ask for only your last four digits so that's nit much if a problem.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Sometime back when I called customer service regarding my cell phone bill, I thought he asked me for my SSN. I immediately got bent out of shape and balked. But I had't heard him right (I was calling him from an event with lots of background noise.)

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Since when does customer service require a social security number? I put it down on my college forms, and I guess I did on my dental form but I don't remember, and the last time I did was 3 years ago when I got a job, and I remember at the time I was a bit hesitant because hardly ever having given it out, I wasn't used to that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:07 pm