CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Chris
6 posters

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading Empty The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

Post by Chris Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 pm

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading
    by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff, 19 hours ago

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading Mr_3ade3b440c0e15

What's the matter with kids today and why doesn't anyone want them around? In June, Malaysia Airlines banned babies from many of their first class cabins, prompting other major airlines to consider similar policies.

Lately, complaints about screaming kids are being taken seriously, not only by airlines, but by hotels, movie theaters, restaurants, and even grocery stores.

Earlier this month, McDain's, a Pittsburgh area restaurant that banned kids under 6 became a mascot for the no-kids-zone movement.

According to a Pittsburgh local news poll, more than half of area residents were in favor of the ban. And now big business is paying attention.

"Brat bans could well be the next frontier in destination and leisure-product marketing," writes Robert Klara in an article on the child-free trend in AdWeek.

Klara points to Leavethembehind.com, a travel website for kid-free vacations, with a massive list of yoga retreats, luxury resorts and bargain hotels around the world that ban children.

"Call me a grinch, a misanthrope, a DINK (dual-income-no-kids), or the anti-cute-police, but I hate (hate a thousand times over) ill-behaved children/infants/screaming banshees in upscale restaurants (ok, anywhere, really, but I don’t want any death threats)," writes Charlotte Savino on Travel and Leisure's blog. She lists a slew of a popular destination restaurants with kid-free areas and policies for travelers looking for quiet vacation dining.

Traveling is one thing, but what about in kids' own hometowns? Should kids been banned from local movie theaters, like they were at a recent adults-only Harry Potter screening? In Texas, one cinema chain has even flipped the model, banning kids under six altogether, except on specified "baby days".

Even running errands with toddlers may be changing. This summer Whole Foods stores in Missouri are offering child-free shopping hours (kids are allowed inside but childcare service is available for parents who want to shop kid-free.) Meanwhile in Florida, a controversy brews over whether kids can be banned from a condominium's outdoor area. That's right, some people don't even want kids outdoors.

When did kids become the equivalent of second-hand smoke? Blame a wave of childless adults with money to spare. "Empty nesters continue to wield a huge swath of discretionary spending dollars, and population dips in first-world countries mean more childless couples than ever," writes AdWeek's Klara.

Catering to the child-free community may be good for business but is it good for parents? It could help narrow choices and make kid-friendly environments even kid-friendlier. And let's be honest, babies won't miss flying first class. They won't even remember it. But their moms and dads will.

Most parents with young children have self-imposed limits on spending and leisure. This new movement imposes limits set by the public. And the public isn't as child-friendly as it used to be. As businesses respond to their new breed of 'first-class' clientele, are parents in danger of becoming second-class citizens?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading Empty Re: The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Parents that can't make their brats behave certainly seem to have something to worry about now. When my mother had her first two girls, the first time she took them shopping she told them if they started screaming, she was bringing them right home. They screamed, so she left the store with them, and after that they behaved themselves anytime they went shopping with her. And by the time I was going to the store with my father, I was already trained from birth not to act out in any way.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading Empty Re: The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

Post by CeCe Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Parents who refuse to even try are responsible for this. Now they can either hire a sitter or sit home & listen to their little darlings "express themselves". But everyone else will be spared.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Merchants, etc. will do what the market will bear. Until I'm a grandfather I don't really care one way or the other.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 pm

I do think it's a shame for parents who insist their kids behave or for the ones who rarely act up in public. It's just so many parents act as if their kid has some divine right to turn into a demon possessed brat any time they want. They have the audacity to think everyone else should just accept it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm

I say good. Too many parents only narrowly try to extinguish temper tantrums in public, and give up easily. How hard is it to leave the damn building if your child won't shut up? Many times I have been in shopping centers and will see a screaming toddler simply be ignored by their parent, in hopes that they will tire themselves out. I can remember being about five years old and misbehaving at a restaurant with my mom, aunts and cousins. My mom said to me that if I didn't knock it off, she'd take me into the ladies room and whoop my behind. I don't think I ever cut up in public after that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 pm

The market mentioned isn't really child free, they just offer child care for those who want it. I think that's a good thing. Our market here has a tot zone all day long.

I hope children being banned from shopping places never becomes a norm. I can co-sign restaurants, theaters, and other places where people are paying for entertainment. But I would not go to a place that did not allow kids when I am there buying necessities.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 pm

RedBedroom wrote:The market mentioned isn't really child free, they just offer child care for those who want it. I think that's a good thing. Our market here has a tot zone all day long.

I hope children being banned from shopping places never becomes a norm. I can co-sign restaurants, theaters, and other places where people are paying for entertainment. But I would not go to a place that did not allow kids when I am there buying necessities.

Well I think they need to clarify it: kids are allowed but brats are not.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:04 am

RedBedroom wrote:The market mentioned isn't really child free, they just offer child care for those who want it. I think that's a good thing. Our market here has a tot zone all day long.

co-signs
    It wouldn't bother me at all if places where I am paying for entertainment or leisure were 'child-free' zones (or barred children under a certain age.) I wish my gym would adopt this policy, because I find it annoying when small children run around inside the locker room.

Shopping centers and supermarkets, however, exist largely for family necessities. Children should always be welcome in places such as those.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Chris wrote:

co-signs
    It wouldn't bother me at all if places where I am paying for entertainment or leisure were 'child-free' zones (or barred children under a certain age.) I wish my gym would adopt this policy, because I find it annoying when small children run around inside the locker room.

Shopping centers and supermarkets, however, exist largely for family necessities. Children should always be welcome in places such as those.

I couldn't agree more about the gym! I was debating quitting the Y (which I did) and one of my grievances was the lax policy on kids there lately. The Y offers a paid daycare option. Yet in the actual work out area, I kept seeing this couple with a baby. They would take turns on the machines and holding the baby. But then a few women started bringing their kids into Tuesday night Zumba. I was annoyed, but then got super pissed when three of them sat behind me, on the floor, and I had to worry about where they were the whole work out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 pm