CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Chris
Nhaiyel
Nystyle709
ThePayback
10 posters

The term "God fearing"

ThePayback
    ThePayback
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

The term "God fearing" Empty The term "God fearing"

Post by ThePayback Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 am

I hate the term "God Fearing". How is someone to have a connection with anyone or anything that they "fear"? I don't wanna fear God, I wanna feel bond with and rely on him .

Opinions on this??
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

The term "God fearing" Empty Re: The term "God fearing"

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 am

Well, "God Fearing" means exactly what it says. They fear God the same way you fear snakes, heights or any other phobia. Not necessarily a bad thing to say. What it does for people who find solace in their religion is give them a peace of mind and keep them line because they fear not being able to enter those pearly gates when they pass on. So I don't think when people say that they mean they have a disconnection from him or they're not close to him. They fear him enough NOT to do the wrong thing.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 pm

My outlook on the term "God-fearing" is that the Lord is supposed to be this supreme being of righteousness - who gives us free will, with the expectation and/or hope that we use it to decidedly choose goodness over wickedness...and that every consciously 'wrong' decision we follow through with has repercussions.

Some religious fanatics, OTOH, have a habit of making the term "God-fearing" out to be much more abrasively superstitious than that. Some paint the almighty as this virtually vindictive being, who will chillingly damn anyone who does not follow the bibles exact beat and path.

My illustration I subscribe to; every action has a reaction. I don't subscribe to the latter. I don't take the Lord as a punk who you can play with, but at the same time, I don't see him as this spirit who has a cold streak that should be feared. I don't believe in a "vengeful God," who you need to be frightened of.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I think the whole concept of "God fearing" and a "vengeful God" is a mere tactic that religious zealots use to manipulate and control others, and themselves. You shouldn't fear God, you should celebrate and draw inspiration from him.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Well, "God Fearing" means exactly what it says. They fear God the same way you fear snakes, heights or any other phobia. Not necessarily a bad thing to say. What it does for people who find solace in their religion is give them a peace of mind and keep them line because they fear not being able to enter those pearly gates when they pass on. So I don't think when people say that they mean they have a disconnection from him or they're not close to him. They fear him enough NOT to do the wrong thing.

Thas it N. Did you go to Catholic school too? I did 8 years!
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

}

I went for six yrs. From first grade through sixth. From grades 7-12, I went to public school

Far as the whole "God fearing" thing goes, I think it's more figurative than literal. As Nystyle says, it's a way of keeping people grounded in their life choices. I can see how some might take the term too far to the point of superstition, but generally I take it to mean understanding that there is a such thing as "karma" and that doing duplicitous things will come back around on someone. Some people need a stern reminder of that.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Nah, public school here. But anyone who can reason will say the same thing. IMO, there is nothing wrong with being religious if you find solace in whatever religion you practice and it keeps you sane. Even though all of it is man made. As long as you're not a bad person or an evil person, I'm cool with it. I just have a problem with the Jesus freaks who literally want to stone you death for not following their protocol. Any sensible person will know how to have a balance.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 am

To me, "God Fearing" is about the fact that we fear what will happen to us if we don't believe. I am so lucky that despite my faults, I know he is real. So, I fear ever not knowing Him, but I don't fear Him.
    stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by stavdash Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:52 am

I see it as fearing the consequences of willfully enacting sin. In my opinion, this is not necessarily so much a 'negative' thing, as it is more a "you reap what you sow."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 am

Well the way I always read it was that to fear God meant to hate evil, and when you consider what evil has done to countless hundreds of millions of people throughout the world over thousands of years...makes sense to me.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 am

I don't see fearing God as fearing things in the same sense as earthly things. It's more acknowledgement of his power and authority, and our proper place in proportion to that, and then clearly the duties we have resulting from that. Fearing God isn't a bad thing. IMO, if you can't fear God in that sense, you might be more interested in making him conform to your will than you conform to his.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 pm