CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Crazy, Stupid, Love

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Crazy, Stupid, Love Empty Crazy, Stupid, Love

Post by JWF Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:58 am

Steve Carell, like his character Cal Weaver, I find boringly funny. Actually, in CSL he is so boring his wife Emily (wasted Julianne Moore), over dinner, ask for a divorce. As boring as he is his wardrobe and etiquette is worse. That is, until he meets Jacob (a very cool Ryan Gosling, with ample scenes to show off his body)

The script sets-up numerous characters and relationship sequences. You may need a score card to follow, so I'll help you out:

Jacob (Gosling) takes it upon himself (why---to continue the plot) to turn Cal (Carell) into a women's man.

Cal's 13 year-old son Robbie (Jonah Bobo) has the hot's for the babysetter (very good Analeigh Tipton)

In turn, the 17 year-old babysetter has the hot's for 42 year-old Cal (Carell)

Kate (Marisa Tomei in one scene stealing part) as Cal's sons teacher has the hot's for Cal (Carell)

David (Kevin Bacon in a misplaced role) has the hot's for Cal's wife Emily (Moore)

And Hannah (Emma Stone, with references to "Easy A") will turn cool womanizer Jacob (Gosling) into a softy. But she must first be disappointed from Josh Groban (yea the recording guy)

In truth, once the story is set-up...about the second reel...I began to laugh, laugh, laugh.....as the dialogue became very clever. But eventually overplays itself with a ridiculous twist, and an ending that doesn't seem to know when to end. Slightly above your typical Hollywood screwball comedy's.

B (3 Stars)

Jack

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Crazy, Stupid, Love Empty Re: Crazy, Stupid, Love

Post by Shale Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Crazy, Stupid, Love
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    July 30, 2011

This was a romantic comedy-drama that didn't exactly follow the usual formula, which was refreshing. In fact it opens on two of the main characters, Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) and his wife Emily (Julianne Moore) having dinner out. They are a long-married couple who have become comfortable, like old shoes. While pondering the menu, Emily decides ...

I Think I'll Have a Divorce
    Crazy, Stupid, Love 78607_gal

Cal's complacent life is thrown into turmoil and he spends time in a bar bemoaning his problems loud enuf for surrounding ppl to hear, including Jacob (Ryan Gosling) a young playboy who we've already seen making a pass at another of our main characters, Hannah (Emma Stone) one of the few women who resisted his advances.

So Jake takes on Cal as a project, to get him back in play by changing his approach and style.

Coach and Wingman
    Crazy, Stupid, Love 78619_gal

Eventually, Cal starts landing a few romantic interludes but he is still in love with Emily, who has had an affair with her coworker Dave (Kevin Bacon).

There are also a couple of side plots here. Cal and Emily's 13-year-old son Robbie (Jonah Bobo) has the hots for his sitter, 17-year-old Jessica (Analeigh Tipton) who is in love with Cal.

Hannah gets tired of her lawyer boyfriend who is going nowhere with her and she goes back to the pickup bar and throws herself at Jacob.

Hi, Remember Me?
    Crazy, Stupid, Love 78618_gal

They go to his place with the intention of changing her PG-13 life into R by having sex. Hannah even mentions the cliché of the drunk woman (like her) in PG-13 romcoms passing out and the gallant man kisses her on the cheek and covers her for the night, but she wants to go the whole R-rated distance. (BTW, this is a PG-13 movie - sorry)

After Jacob removes his shirt, Hannah does one of the many snappy lines in this flick ...

Your body is Photoshopped!
    Crazy, Stupid, Love 78626_gal

Well, I took you this far into the story - you have to see the movie to appreciate how all these different scenes play out. Will Cal & Emily get back together? Will Jacob bed Hannah? Since that is even a question will Jacob and Hannah find true love? What will happen to the misguided kids?

If you are into romantic-comedy-dramas you should go see this flick. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:23 am