CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Chris
Nhaiyel
Nystyle709
tmontyb
Alan Smithee
Shale
Supernova
11 posters

I feel sorry for cats

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

I feel sorry for cats Empty I feel sorry for cats

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I was thinking about this the other day, in our society, well in our town anyway, I don't know about everywhere else, cats are to our society as baby girls are to China's, nobody wants them. People will pay hundreds of dollars for a dog or a puppy, kittens can't even be given away for free and there's always so many of them. And when we find stray cats we don't dare call the pound on them because we found out they kill the cats almost immediately because nobody wants them. I can't really understand it, cats are relatively low matinance compare to dogs, there aren't any leash laws, they don't eat as much, they don't keep you up all night barking, all the ones we've met were either litter box trained or knew to go outside to do that. So why are dogs valued so much more than cats when it comes to getting a pet?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

I feel sorry for cats Empty Re: I feel sorry for cats

Post by Shale Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Dogs are social creatures, like humans. They respond to us like members of the family, usually without so much criticism or drama. So dogs are more responsive pets.

Cats are more aloof, more solitary and come to their ppl for affection when they want it, not leaping with joy just because you walked thru the door after being away for a while.

So, dogs are more ingratiating than cats.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:49 pm

I prefer cats. I've been around enough dogs to last me the rest of my life.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 pm

I feel sorry for cats

Not the ones in the Smithee house!
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

Not the ones in the Smithee house!

Agreed, not my cat either. My cat runs my dog.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 pm

I heard cats aren't as loving as dogs. You actually have to work for their affection. But ironically enough, more people have cats in their household than dogs. I feel sorry for cats 2517814472. I don't want either one so it's whatever.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I heard cats aren't as loving as dogs. You actually have to work for their affection. But ironically enough, more people have cats in their household than dogs. I feel sorry for cats 2517814472. I don't want either one so it's whatever.

I've known cats that were snooty and aloof and I'm not crazy about them either. Ours have always been affectionate I think because of how we raised them from kittens.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 am

Dogs are probably more social and fun, but cats are more comforting, charismatic and radiant.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

I've known cats that were snooty and aloof and I'm not crazy about them either. Ours have always been affectionate I think because of how we raised them from kittens.

Ours is affectionate because we saved her from starving to death after her last owner abandoned her. We have another stray who thinks our yard is his home and he's affectionate too, also because we feed him. He won't eat until he rubs up against us and gets petted.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:24 am

Nystyle709 wrote:I heard cats aren't as loving as dogs. You actually have to work for their affection. But ironically enough, more people have cats in their household than dogs. I feel sorry for cats 2517814472. I don't want either one so it's whatever.

They're not. Cats are finicky, like women. They cuddle up next to you when they're in the mood, but don't necessarily come when you call them. They live on their own terms. That being said, I'm seriously considering getting one.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 am

My cats are very affectionate and are constantly in my face and underfoot. They both have great personalities, and I think many people don't take the time to work with a cat and bring out that personality, like they would with a dog.

I've gotten my cats leash-trained so that I can take them outside and go for a walk with them, and my male cat will play "fetch" with a Dixie cup if you toss it for him.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

love cats!! don't care for dogs

I LOVE THIS:
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am

People seem to enjoy dogs more because they are more frendly and playful and overall more sociable. It is a shame because cats are beautiful creatures and people underestimate their intelligence. I love cats.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

Chris wrote:

They're not. Cats are finicky, like women. They cuddle up next to you when they're in the mood, but don't necessarily come when you call them. They live on their own terms. That being said, I'm seriously considering getting one.

ROFLMAO!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Chris wrote:

Our cat's a girl, or a woman if you prefer, and she will NOT come when you call her...I mean she will sometimes when we say 'here kitty kitty kitty (we never gave her an official name)', but I found out she WILL come if you give a pig call 'Sooie! Sooie sooie! Here pig pig pig pig pig!', THAT will bring her running to us.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Ours won't always come when we beckon them but that's the exception, not the rule. Skittles has me trained. I get home from work and she leads me into the bedroom, hops up on the bed so I can pick her up. Also, we're thankful she doesn't hold a grudge after we give her the medicine she needs twice a day for the rest of her life.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

What medicine is that, Alan?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 pm

It's for her thyroid. She was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. We were fearing the worst but she she's back to normal.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Ours won't always come when we beckon them but that's the exception, not the rule. Skittles has me trained. I get home from work and she leads me into the bedroom, hops up on the bed so I can pick her up. Also, we're thankful she doesn't hold a grudge after we give her the medicine she needs twice a day for the rest of her life.

I think animals actually know when you're helping them as far as meds go. The two cats I had before the ones I have now, both went into renal failure in their old age, but not to the point where they were too far gone and had to be put down right away. I used to do a peritoneal dialysis on both of them with an IV bag of fluids to flush them out. They knew when it was time for their treatments and would hop onto my lap while I sat in the bathroom with the IV bag hanging off the shower rod. Then, they'd crouch down so I could scruff the back of their necks, stick the needle in and let the fluids flow in under their skin.

I kept them going for 2 years like that, 3 times per week, but then that eventually stopped working and it was time to say goodbye and make the final trip to the vet (which was harder on me than the cats--I sat in the car, bawling my head off until I could stop and drive home!)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

I think animals actually know when you're helping them as far as meds go. The two cats I had before the ones I have now, both went into renal failure in their old age, but not to the point where they were too far gone and had to be put down right away. I used to do a peritoneal dialysis on both of them with an IV bag of fluids to flush them out. They knew when it was time for their treatments and would hop onto my lap while I sat in the bathroom with the IV bag hanging off the shower rod. Then, they'd crouch down so I could scruff the back of their necks, stick the needle in and let the fluids flow in under their skin.

I kept them going for 2 years like that, 3 times per week, but then that eventually stopped working and it was time to say goodbye and make the final trip to the vet (which was harder on me than the cats--I sat in the car, bawling my head off until I could stop and drive home!)

Sorry to hear that, Hyacinth. sad I can't imagine what it's going to be like in some years when it's our kitty's time.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

Yes, I'm very sorry that your pets and you had to go through that. We had to have a cat put down for medical reasons too sad
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Chris wrote:They're not. Cats are finicky, like women. They cuddle up next to you when they're in the mood, but don't necessarily come when you call them. They live on their own terms. That being said, I'm seriously considering getting one.

So very true, Chris! I like cats but I love dogs!!!! Differenve between a cat and a dog - You own a dog, a cat OWNS you

The Difference Between Cats and Dogs

- Dogs come when you call them. Cats take a message and get back to you when they are good and ready.
    - Dogs will give you unconditional love forever. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you've ever made since the day you were born.
    - Dogs will let you give them a bath without taking out a contract on your life.
    - Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk. Cats will yawn and close their eyes.
    - Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the door.
    - Dogs will sit, lie down, and heel on command. Cats will smirk and walk away.
    - Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.
    - Dogs will greet you and lick your face when you come home from work. Cats will be mad that you went to work at all.
    - Dogs will play Frisbee with you all afternoon. Cats will take a three hour nap.
    - Dogs will sit on the car seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private box or they will not go at all.

Last edited by TSJFan4Ever on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 am

I think I've posted this before, but...

I'm Only A Cat

I'm only a cat,
    and I stay in my place...