CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Shale
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
RobbieFTW
10 posters

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged]

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Empty Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged]

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 am

I never saw the other Planet of the Apes movies but I might see this new one w/James Franco coming out in Aug.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Empty Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged]

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

never seen the old planet of the apes either, the look of them always creeped me out
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Empty Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged]

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:51 pm

I've seen the original the first two sequels. After that I lost interest.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

I want to see "Rise" too, it looks good.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:03 pm

The remake of Planet of the Apes was a bit boring to me. Never saw the original.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 pm

I've been watching the trailers and I will likely go see it. The apes in this prequel are CGI of course, not like the made up ppl in the original.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:36 am

The previews look great. I think I will see it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah....the previews for the new one looks dope. Definitely checking this one out.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Empty Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Post by JWF Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:20 pm

The 1934 "King Kong" had special effects about an ape which is still matchless, considering the time period. It also told a great story, with wonderful characters. The final scene atop the Empire State Building will never be surpassed.

Many films have tried, including this seventh installment, which is the best of the sort, even with its flaws. "ROTPOTA" doesn't feel like a remake as much as a film that relates to all of the previous ones. You will even get a glimpse of Moses (Charlton Heston).

Prior to "Avatar" the technology and special effects you see here wasn't available. But it's the ape who's the hero. A film where the story is mostly from the view point of the simian. Performed by an amazing Andy Serkis, who is considered the leading actor what is now know as : "motion capture acting"

Will (James Franco) is a SF genetic scientist who is working on a cure for Alzheimer's. It just happens that his father (John Lithgow) suffers from the disease. His serum (112) is being tested on chimpanzees, but it also gives them super-intelligence. Due to a dispute the head of the lab (David Oyelowo) orders the testing stopped. Will discovers an offspring who feels a need to care for, so he takes it upon himself to raise him, who he names Caesar (Serkis). Over the first 3 years a bond develops. About this time we meet Caroline (miscasted undeveloped Freida Pinto), a primatologist who becomes Caesar's vet and Will's girlfriend. By the time Caesar reaches his 8th birthday things change, and he ends up, with many other simian, in a primate establishment, run by cruel caretakers (Brian Cox). The second part of the film is where the action is, including the final battle on the Golden Gate Bridge.

An entertaining film, if you buy into some of the silliness, and human actors that are second-string to Caesar.

Film: B (3 stars)
    Caesar: A- (3 1/2 stars)

Jack

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    August 5, 2011

This movie is a prequel to the 1968 Planet of the Apes, with Charlton Heston as the astronaut who lands on a planet run by apes, eventually discovering the planet is earth. (Forget all the other sequels.) This movie lets us know how the planet earth went from human control to ape control while the astronauts of that original film (referenced here) were lost in space for thousands of years. And it wasn't blown up in thermonuclear war as insinuated in that cold war era film.

It starts in San Francisco with a breakthru in brain function of a chimpanzee test subject who was given a research drug developed by scientist Will Rodman (James Franco). He is searching for a cure to Alzheimer's while caring for his father (John Lithgow) who has the disease.

Will Rodman Giving Presentation on His Alzheimer's Drug
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer-lands-57852-00-470-75

All goes well until side effects are suspected and all the chimps are to be put down. There is a baby chimp that Will smuggles home and his father names him Caesar.

Caesar is very smart, learns sign language and develops at Will's house like a normal child, only faster and forms family bonds with Will and his father. Eventually he bonds with Caroline (Freida Pinto) a veterinarian who treats a small wound and whom he suggests his surrogate father take out to dinner.

Well, this story really spends a lot of time on the chimp's development, the problems with the neighbors that cause Caesar to be put in a primate rehab place, where he becomes a leader to the other apes and where he gets attitude. He knows the effects of the drug which is now in a gaseous form and releases it on all the other apes.

Caesar Taking Action
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Rise-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes

Long story short, they all escape; release all the apes at the zoo and go on a smart-ape attack on the authorities. (OK, I doubt that there would be that many apes in the San Francisco area as seen in the rampage, but suspend disbelief). Most of the confrontation takes place on the Golden Gate Bridge, with Caesar as the battle tactician.

Caesar Living Up To His Name
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] 79111_gal

Will and Caesar still share a bond and try to help each other thru this turmoil.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] 79107_gal

I really liked this movie and thot it was a good tie in to the original. When they start rolling the end credits, don't jump up to leave. There is a little more postscript explanation to how the apes took over. The CGI apes were very well done using the same technology for Caesar as was used for Gollum in Lord of the Rings.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:19 pm

According to the director Rupert Wyatt "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes", which was made in 1972, and staring Roddy McDowall, as Caesar.... is the nearest in design to the current "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". The original "Planet of the Apes" was released in 1968.

While, he feels his story is new, set in 2011, and how the apes started the revolution, there are different opinions from the earlier films, too. I believe while there are references to the earlier films, this one has more of a prequel look, but not entirely. Thus, I believe his approach, is an attempt to explain what happened with a new look. Like with "Batman Begins" we are told a story of origin, but there's similarities to the Michael Keaton original film

The end after the end leads us to believe there will be a sequel. But how?

Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:38 pm

JWF wrote:

Jack

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Wasn't there a big newspaper headline about a mission to another planet that went missing? Could be they will do the time-compression thing and come back thousands of years after the virus has disappeared or mutated to not harm humans.

Or, as with any pandemic (even HIV) there are a rare few that do not succumb to a particular virus (Omega Man/I Am Legend). So you have a few humans to continue trying to survive on Ape Planet.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 am

JWF wrote:
    According to the director Rupert Wyatt "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes", which was made in 1972, and staring Roddy McDowall, as Caesar.... is the nearest in design to the current "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". The original "Planet of the Apes" was released in 1968.

While, he feels his story is new, set in 2011, and how the apes started the revolution, there are different opinions from the earlier films, too. I believe while there are references to the earlier films, this one has more of a prequel look, but not entirely. Thus, I believe his approach, is an attempt to explain what happened with a new look. Like with "Batman Begins" we are told a story of origin, but there's similarities to the Michael Keaton original film

Jack

Perhaps the angle where the next door neighborhood had the blood splattered on him and got contaminated? From the ending credits...he was an airline pilot and since it's his job to fly all over, perhaps the mutant gene or contamination or whatever will be traveling with him.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Perhaps the angle where the next door neighborhood had the blood splattered on him and got contaminated? From the ending credits...he was an airline pilot and since it's his job to fly all over, perhaps the mutant gene or contamination or whatever will be traveling with him.
    Yes, that was the scenario drawn out in the end credits.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

Opa Shale wrote:
    Yes, that was the scenario drawn out in the end credits.

There was a scene at the very end of the credits? Cause I bounced after I saw him go to the airport.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

There was a scene at the very end of the credits? Cause I bounced after I saw him go to the airport.
    Yep, it showed a world map with all the air routes that kept getting more and more congested.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Opa Shale wrote:
    Yep, it showed a world map with all the air routes that kept getting more and more congested.

Oh, I saw that. I thought there may have been a scene at the end of all of that.
    binky04
    binky04
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 3

Post by binky04 Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Opa Shale wrote:
    I think that it shows how fast the CL13 spreads and kills the human race allowing the apes to take over cool
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Rise of the Planet of the Apes [merged] Empty Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Post by Tony Marino Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am

Saw this flick while I was on vacation, it was pretty good. I was surprised that it was Andy Serbis (Gollum from the lord of the rings movies) Ceaser was modeled after. I recommend it to any that have interest in these types of movies.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Yep. I loved it. I wanted to cry when they were mistreating Caesar in the camp.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah, I liked it.

There's a whole thread about this movie in the New Releases section since Aug 5th.

http://www.conversationchamber.com/t10750-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Just saw it today and the whole family really enjoyed it... all different ages. I think because it wasnt some crazy sci-fi unrealistic type of explanation. Drugs/drug research are part of our every day life-- we see constant commercials about trials/studies, drugs, side effects etc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 pm