CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Nhaiyel
6 posters

Should group members be replaced?

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Should group members be replaced? Empty Should group members be replaced?

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

What do you think about groups/bands that hire replacements to fill the void of departing members? Groups like Journey, Foreigner, Destiny's Child, New Edition and Chicago come to mind. Is it good to keep the line up number, or do new members make the group feel more counterfeit to you?

Discuss.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should group members be replaced? Empty Re: Should group members be replaced?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Van Halen fans will always debate between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Some fans of the Stones and Pink Floyd have never heard of Brian Jones and Syd Barrett.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:05 am

Generally I think the table should keep the same number of legs. If you started out a 5 man group, and one leaves, then replace that member. When 5 becomes 4....4 becomes 3....etc., etc., it seems incomplete.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Depends on the group, but seeing a bunch of new faces every time a member leaves after a while feels disingenuous. It just stops being the same group.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 am

I am used to seeing some of my favorite bands lineups change every few albums. It doesn't bother me when a new face comes in as long as they're actually doing something and it compliments the ensemble. I can accept when five becomes four, but for some reason I don't like it when the lineup becomes less than that.
    Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by Artemis Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am

It depends...
    Example: Bon Scott, orginal singer for ACDC. Died at such a young age... the band went on to bigger things (although I think that they were better with him)... It worked okay.

Example: Guns n Roses. Only orignal member today is Axl Rose. Most GnR fanatics aren't interestd in seeing this group today. Without Slash AND Axl, its not quite right.

It depends on the dynamic of the group, the stage for their career and whether the additional members are indeed better (although most fans would say this is rare)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm