CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
stonestatic
CeCe
Chris
9 posters

'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment' Empty 'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment'

Post by Chris Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am

http://www.wesh.com/education/28899497/detail.html#ixzz1VUP9RgeY

School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment
    Student Reports Teacher's Comment

POSTED: 10:50 pm EDT August 17, 2011
    UPDATED: 11:32 pm EDT August 17, 2011

::::: there's a video inside the article that I couldn't embed :::::

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Mount Dora High School teacher Jerry Buell, the 2010 teacher of the year, is awaiting a decision about whether he will return to the classroom after a controversial comment he made on Facebook led to his suspension.

According to Lake County School District officials, a former student reported a Facebook post by Buell that may have violated ethics rules when he used social media to sound off about gay marriage.

School officials confirmed to WESH 2 News that Buell posted a comment stating that he “almost threw up” over a news story about legalizing same-sex marriage and went on to write that same-sex marriage is a “cesspool.”

WESH 2 News reporter Talitha Vickers attempted to talk to Buell at his home, but he refused to comment.

Evan Holley, a Mount Dora High School alumnus, said Buell is an excellent teacher.

“Mr. Buell would never do that to offend anybody. I mean, he’s a really Christian guy and that’s his beliefs. I mean, it’s his personal Facebook,” said Holley.

The district has not made a decision about what further disciplinary action could be taken against Buell. The award-winning social studies teacher was suspended and working in a clerical position at the school district’s administration building.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment' Empty Re: 'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment'

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 am

Tried to find video at another site with no luck but here's a picture of him & the school.
    'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment' 1SchoolTeacher-300x219

When are people going to learn that what they post online can come back to bite them on the ass? Not the first time. Won't be the last. He's a bigot AND an idiot.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment' Empty Re: 'School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment'

Post by stonestatic Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 am

Imagine if this asshat had made the same statements, only about people of color instead? Would kids of color respect him or feel comfortable as students in his class? Same thing. This guy is a moron and frankly too old to have done something so stupid, even if on his own personal time. Maybe firing the guy is a little too extreme but as a condition to his reinstatement, he should be forced to make a public apology.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 pm

I don't respect what he had to say but I respect his right to say it in the forum that he did. Facebook might be a quasi-public forum but it he wasn't spouting his opinions in the classroom. That would be another matter. If the "ethics rules" of his contract specifically prohibit this, that's another matter too but people should be allowed to have opinions others don't agree with.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I don't respect what he had to say but I respect his right to say it in the forum that he did. Facebook might be a quasi-public forum but it he wasn't spouting his opinions in the classroom. That would be another matter. If the "ethics rules" of his contract specifically prohibit this, that's another matter too but people should be allowed to have opinions others don't agree with.

I agree with what you said about the ethics rules and his contract. If he violated that, and that is stated grounds for dismissal, cut him loose.

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:37 pm

When what he says publicly interferes with the integrity of his position, it's a punishable offense and the school board should be allowed to deal with it however they see fit. He had a right to speak his bigoted opinion, but the First Amendment doesn't protect him from not losing his job over it. Furthermore, as a Social Studies teacher, I doubt that his views about a historic, important civil rights movement aren't leaking into the classroom. And any gay child, or children with parents who are gay, are vulnerable to his "disgust."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Impact wrote:When what he says publicly interferes with the integrity of his position, it's a punishable offense and the school board should be allowed to deal with it however they see fit. He had a right to speak his bigoted opinion, but the First Amendment doesn't protect him from not losing his job over it. Furthermore, as a Social Studies teacher, I doubt that his views about a historic, important civil rights movement aren't leaking into the classroom. And any gay child, or children with parents who are gay, are vulnerable to his "disgust."

co-signs And I wish people would understand that "freedom of speech" does not mean freedom from consequences.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Like others have said, the school firing him doesn't infringe on his constitutional rights. It's not like he's being arrested for his words.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

The school firing him would just be proof of the double standard bigotry practiced by schools. If he had made his comments about Christians, he'd have been praised. Heck, he'd be encouraged to express those views in the classroom, calling Christians all sorts of wicked names.

This is the guy's personal Facebook. Clearly, he's a well-liked teacher. IMO, firing him is just proof that they are the intolerant bigots, and not him. If they don't like what he has to say on his OWN FB account, don't read it. Ethics violation my ass!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 am

Update
    Jerry Buell: 'I Try to Teach and Lead My Students as if Lake Co. Schools Had Hired Jesus Christ Himself''School Suspends Teacher After Gay Marriage Facebook Comment' 6a00d8341c730253ef014e8af72f32970d-800wi

Jerry Buell, the anti-gay teacher whose remarks about same-sex marriage on Facebook got him temporarily suspended from teaching and made him a hero to the religious right and groups like NOM, and the Liberty Counsel (which is representing him), is now under scrutiny for remarks he wrote in his class syllabus and on his school website.

WFTV reports:

In one section Buell wrote, "I am a man of God and I try to be like Jesus every day. I teach God's truth, I make very few compromises. If you believe you may have a problem with that, get your schedule changed, 'cause I ain't changing!"

Then there's a comment from Buell's website stating, "I try to teach and lead my students as if Lake Co. Schools had hired Jesus Christ himself."

Buell doesn't understand what the problem is, because he's been anti-gay been using the same syllabus for years.

"The school district is saying that might run a foul to what they call the separation of church and state," said Buell's attorney Harry Mihet. "We are going to have to evaluate the schools position and engage them in some dialogue."

The school district believes he violated the constitutional provision of separation of church and state.

This is a new controversy, separate from the Facebook one.

On Facebook, Buell had written that he "almost threw up" in response to a news story about same-sex marriage in New York. Buell also called the marriages part of a "cesspool" and said they were a sin.

Buell returned to his classroom this week.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/08/jerry-buell-i-teach-gods-truthi-try-to-teach-and-lead-my-students-as-if-lake-co-schools-had-hired-je.html#ixzz1W8jqq5xM
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:14 am

Alan Smithee wrote:I don't respect what he had to say but I respect his right to say it in the forum that he did.

I'm with you. CeCe just called him a bigot and an idiot---that is CeCe's right. As it was the teacher's right to say/believe what he does.

There was once a KKK rally in a midwestern jewish area, which promoted "white power" and no laws were broken. There was no violence, just a rally. The supreme court upheld the KKK's right to have the rally, as it also upheld the right of those that wished to protest the rally.

The protesters were the ones who started the violence and were the ones arrested. That might seem unfair, however, the beauty of this country is that someone can scream at the top of his lungs the same views that you have spent a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.

As long as the teacher is teaching the cirriculum, and not imposing his personal beliefs on his students, i don't see the problem. I personally am FOR gay marriage, but at the moment, it is illegal in most states. So someone who states that he wants to vomit from an illegal act is not exactly a criminal--- is he?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks, W2L. People also need to remember that although, yes, not all employment is protected against the consequences of an individual’s expression of their opinion, there is precedent that applies to public employees such as this man. In Pickering v. Board of Education, the U.S. Supreme Court held that a public school teacher could not be fired for a letter to a newspaper that critical of the B.O.E. “... in the absence of proof of the teacher knowingly or recklessly making false statements the teacher had a right to speak on issues of public importance without being dismissed from his position.” The lawyers are the only ones who are going to prosper here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 am