CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Shale
RedBedroom
Marc™
Supernova
Tony Marino
Cheaps
Nystyle709
Chris
12 posters

Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology? Empty Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology?

Post by Chris Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 am

Do you think online social networks help or hinder real life communication? Is it acceptable that instead of meeting face to face, people opt to do all of their interacting with each other online?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology? Empty Re: Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology?

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

It's a great tool for catching up with people, but it's prob. more of the latter. Instead of interacting face to face, people tend to put all of their business online for not only for the person they intended, but for the rest of the world to see. In that regard, it makes people stupid.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology? Empty Re: Does online social networking bring people closer together or isolate and insulate them with technology?

Post by Cheaps Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:31 am

Nystyle709 wrote:It's a great tool for catching up with people, but it's prob. more of the latter. Instead of interacting face to face, people tend to put all of their business online for not only for the person they intended, but for the rest of the world to see. In that regard, it makes people stupid.

True
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 am

Its probably one of the worst things that has ever happened. Whatever happened to meeting up in person and sharing your life's experiences over coffee or lunch instead of posting electronically on a board where the world can see it. There is nothing personal in that at all.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:08 am

A few months back there was a study about teenagers in one town who gave up text messaging for a month as an experiment, they couldn't believe it, they had time to do their homework, and to spend with their brothers and sisters, and they actually had to go and see their friends face to face and actually TALK to them which they found to be very awkward.

Although I'm thankful for the ability to communicate online because all of my friends I talk to there, none of them live anywhere near me, it's New York or Arizona or Canada, so all my local friends it's still a face to face method of communication, or at least telephone.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Its probably one of the worst things that has ever happened. Whatever happened to meeting up in person and sharing your life's experiences over coffee or lunch instead of posting electronically on a board where the world can see it. There is nothing personal in that at all.

I agree. Some people take it WAY too seriously....I get messages all the time on FB from my sister, aunts and cousins asking me things. I'm thinking, why didn't you call?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:43 pm

I think it can be a useful tool to keep up with people though some folks don't filter and get too used to communicating via screens.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 am

Tony Marino wrote:Its probably one of the worst things that has ever happened. Whatever happened to meeting up in person and sharing your life's experiences over coffee or lunch instead of posting electronically on a board where the world can see it. There is nothing personal in that at all.
    And yet, here we are. Blue Cool
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:It's a great tool for catching up with people, but it's prob. more of the latter. Instead of interacting face to face, people tend to put all of their business online for not only for the person they intended, but for the rest of the world to see. In that regard, it makes people stupid.

Agreed. My personal pet peeve is when I make a post about something random and someone responds to that post, "How are you doing today?" Just soooo out of place, you could have called, or sent a note lol.

On another note, I hate it when people turn Facebook into their diary. I had a friend on FB who constantly posted random pics of food, of her cat, what she was drinking, thoughts about how much some guy is a loser because he stood her up...I guess some people want others to commiserate with them but it seems desperate in a way.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Opa Shale wrote:
    And yet, here we are. Blue Cool

good one
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am

I think it can be a useful tool but it should not be the only means of communication. It's allowed me to keep in contact with cousins who live far away without having to worry about huge long distance phone bills and I've caught up with friends I lost contact with after high school. I'll always be grateful for that.

I do agree that time should be limited, esp. for teens.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 am

Shrugs (Oh well…) I'm not on any social networking site (I don't count TCC) so I don't know for sure. It probably does isolate certain people.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 am

Don't like Facebook & gotta be in the mood for twitter. My online experience is pretty much limited to here, a few other forums & newsy stuff. I do less now than years ago. I'm sure some people have dedicated their lives to updating their Facebook & growing imaginary crops & an assortment of other imaginary things. So yeah I can see how easy it would be for some to become isolated by it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 pm