CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

The Doors biopic

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

The Doors biopic Empty The Doors biopic

Post by Kral Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:34 am

The Doors biopic X82135041184452000

I loved The Doors biopic. Val Kilmer was terrific and really looked like Jim Morrison. I think it's one of the best biopics ever made.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

The Doors biopic Empty Re: The Doors biopic

Post by CeCe Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:55 am

Funny thing is when I heard he was the one who was going to do this it pissed me off. Didn't think he had it in him. He shocked me. Val Kilmer was outstanding in this to the point of being borderline perfect. Generally these things can just be a joke because the actor doesn't even resemble them, sound like them or have their mannerisms. But Kilmer nailed this as accurately as possible.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22 am

I too really enjoyed this movie and was surprised at how similar Morrison and Kilmer looked.

I loved the Doors music which was playing on the radio in '67 when I first came to New Orleans.

"Light My Fire" and "Break On Thru To The Other Side" really hit me with its sound.

Later as I became a disaffected young man I related to "People are Strange."

People are strange when you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly when you're alone
    Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
    Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain
    When you're strange
    No one remembers your name
    When you're strange
    When you're strange
    When you're strange
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:59 am

I still remember this incident.

Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek remembers exactly where he was when he got the word his band would be on "The Ed Sullivan Show." He was watching "The Ed Sullivan Show."

"We watched every week to see the rock 'n' roll band," Manzarek remembers. "So my wife and I are watching the show, and Ed says, 'Next week, Steve and Eydie, Topo Gigio, and a new rock group called the Doors. [The next day] we get a call from our manager telling us we're going to be on Sullivan. We said, 'We know.' "

There was a catch, though. The band was to perform its chart-topping hit, "Light My Fire," but Sullivan didn't want the word "higher" sung on the show. The demand was passed down through one of the show's producers, who met the group in the dressing room. Manzarek remembers the band publicly agreeing like choirboys.

" 'Yes, sir,' we told him," he recalls. "'Whatever you say, sir. We'll change.' [The producer] looked at Jim and said, 'You're the poet. Think of something else -- 'wire,' 'flyer.' "

Then the Doors went out and did the song exactly as they always did. Sullivan was so furious he didn't even shake their hands.

When the Doors got backstage, they learned they wouldn't be back -- ever. "The producer said, 'You promised,' and we said, 'We were so nervous, we're just boys, we've done it a thousand times, it just came out.' He looked at Morrison and said, 'Mr. Sullivan liked you boys. He wanted you on six more times. ... You'll never do the Sullivan show again.' "

To which Morrison retorted with glee, "We just did the Sullivan show."

The ban didn't hurt the Doors' career, of course. The group's albums continued to go Top 10 and they had another No. 1 single, "Hello I Love You," the next summer. But they never did appear on Sullivan again -- a distinction that has helped immortalize the Doors' appearance over that of the many acts who appeared on the show countless times.

Manzarek laughs. "We're still talking about it 35 years later," he says. "We're still doing Ed Sullivan."

I liked the use of The End in Apocalypse Now too.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:50 am

Val Kilmer was completely believable in the role. I liked the back and forth he had with Meg Ryan's character. If I'm not mistaken, I think at one point Jim locked her in the room and set it on fire.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:29 am