CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Impact
TSJFan4Ever
Shale
RedBedroom
wants2laugh
9 posters

Houseguests--how long is too long?

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Houseguests--how long is too long? Empty Houseguests--how long is too long?

Post by wants2laugh Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 am

After the floods, my sister took in a family whose house was destroyed in the flood. It has been 3 weeks now. They are saying that it may take another 2 wks to get their apartment.

How long do you think is too long when you are feeding and housing someone?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Houseguests--how long is too long? Empty Re: Houseguests--how long is too long?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 am

It depends on the circumstance. If someone suffers a disaster at their place, I will be much more accommodating than otherwise.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:23 am

Don't you think that people become "comfortable" though. Clean up less after themselves. Might mow the lawn once, then expect to get paid after that. Expects to be cooked for and served. Want their clothes washed because they won't learn how to use the "gadget" washer/dryer
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:26 am

wants2laugh wrote:Don't you think that people become "comfortable" though. Clean up less after themselves. Might mow the lawn once, then expect to get paid after that. Expects to be cooked for and served. Want their clothes washed because they won't learn how to use the "gadget" washer/dryer

They shouldn't expect it, just be grateful that some good person is helping them out with a place to stay.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 am

wants2laugh wrote:Don't you think that people become "comfortable" though. Clean up less after themselves. Might mow the lawn once, then expect to get paid after that. Expects to be cooked for and served. Want their clothes washed because they won't learn how to use the "gadget" washer/dryer

Hmmm...if that was the case, my patience would wear thin no matter what their situation!
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 am

Depends on the reasons - I'm with Red if it was something like that, I'd be more accomdating but if they were expecting me to wait on them hand and foot or showed no signs of changing things - finding a new place - I wouldn't be so accomodating.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 am

As soon as you start to feel that it's been too long, it's been too long. I really try to avoid taking in house guests who don't have a clear date or approximation of when they're leaving.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am

RedBedroom wrote:It depends on the circumstance. If someone suffers a disaster at their place, I will be much more accommodating than otherwise.

co-signs

I would be less accommodating if that person was being lazy and sloppy though.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 am

RedBedroom wrote:It depends on the circumstance. If someone suffers a disaster at their place, I will be much more accommodating than otherwise.

co-signs

If their home has been destroyed, or are staying with me under devastating conditions, then I'll extend an extra amount of hospitality. I just need to at least see that a real effort is being made on their end to rebound and get themselves back up on their feet.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 am

As long as they are pitching in and helping out with chores and financially if they can then I would say a month is long enough.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 pm

"Fish and visitors smell in three days." ~Benjamin Franklin

Barring special circumstances as Red said.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:12 pm