CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
tmontyb
RedBedroom
wants2laugh
8 posters

Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure Empty Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure

Post by wants2laugh Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:45 am

My 23 yr old niece wore a shirt that said, "Start Shit, Get Hit"--- not appropriate but hey she's 23. Great Adventure stopped her from entering the park and said that she would have to purchase a shirt from the gift shop and either return her shirt to the car or throw it away because it is a "family park". To my surprise, after the shirt she came home in said "Get HIGH at Great Adventure" with a roller coaster on the front. To me, promoting "getting high" is just as bad as promoting profanity and violence. Does anyone agree?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure Empty Re: Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 am

Interesting topic! I am guessing the "shit" one is worse just because it has a curse word. But I can't imagine a place that has that "get high" slogan, clearly a play on words, would gripe about the other shirt. If they are to have a policy like that, they need not make people buy a shirt, but rather borrow it.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure Empty Re: Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure

Post by tmontyb Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 am

wants2laugh wrote:My 23 yr old niece wore a shirt that said, "Start Shit, Get Hit"--- not appropriate but hey she's 23. Great Adventure stopped her from entering the park and said that she would have to purchase a shirt from the gift shop and either return her shirt to the car or throw it away because it is a "family park". To my surprise, after the shirt she came home in said "Get HIGH at Great Adventure" with a roller coaster on the front. To me, promoting "getting high" is just as bad as promoting profanity and violence. Does anyone agree?

I don't think they are promoting getting high. They obviously used the HIGH as a pun since roller coasters go high. I think that's all in fun.

As far as you niece's shirt is concerned, they definitely overreacted, but on the other hand, I get where they are coming from. The shirt is crass.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

tmontyb wrote:

I don't think they are promoting getting high. They obviously used the HIGH as a pun since roller coasters go high. I think that's all in fun.

As far as you niece's shirt is concerned, they definitely overreacted, but on the other hand, I get where they are coming from. The shirt is crass.

co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I agree with tmontyb. They overreacted, and it wasn't that serious, but the shirt she wore wasn't necessary either. Really, I think it was just a ploy on their end to make additional money. They could have just told her to turn the shirt inside out so that the words wouldn't be visible.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Word play is everywhere. Wonder if she were a sailor wearing one of Hard Sail co. T-shirts if they woulda stopped her.

"Sail With A Hard On."

or

Controversial Tshirts at Great Adventure 17660057v2_350x350_Front_Color-White

Last edited by Opa Shale on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Pic)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Never knew Great Adventure was such a "family friendly" park. lol Money ploy. Razz
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm

wants2laugh wrote:My 23 yr old niece wore a shirt that said, "Start Shit, Get Hit"--- not appropriate but hey she's 23. Great Adventure stopped her from entering the park and said that she would have to purchase a shirt from the gift shop and either return her shirt to the car or throw it away because it is a "family park". To my surprise, after the shirt she came home in said "Get HIGH at Great Adventure" with a roller coaster on the front. To me, promoting "getting high" is just as bad as promoting profanity and violence. Does anyone agree?

LOL. Reminds me of the one and only time The Doors appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. They didn't want Morrison to sing the lyric, "Girl, we couldn't get much higher." He agreed but sang it that way (live) anyway. I guess I couldn't wear my souvenier T shirt from my honeymoon, "Only sailors get blown offshore in Bermuda."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:08 pm