CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Chris
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Hyacinth Girl
wants2laugh
Shale
Tony Marino
captainbryce
12 posters

Do you read the bible?

captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Do you read the bible? Empty Do you read the bible?

Post by captainbryce Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:38 am

Anyone here ever actually read the bible? If so, why? What exactly do you take away from it? Do you just read certain parts or try to read the whole thing? Do you completely understand it or is it confusing when you read it? If you don't read the bible, is there a particular reason you don't?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Do you read the bible? Empty Re: Do you read the bible?

Post by Tony Marino Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 am

I did at one time but have not in a very long time.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am

In the '70s during spiritual searching I read the four books of the Gospel while living a hermits life in the woods reading at night by oil lamp. It seemed to have more impact living by the same technology of the time (no running water, no electricity).

I have read other parts of that dreadful old testiment as research. Judeo/Christian is not a religion of peace and love.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 pm

I used to read the bible cover to cover at least once a year. yes it is very confusing in some parts boring in others, but like any book that I am interested in, I muddled thru it.

There are many stories in the bible that are interesting, just as any other story/novel, and you must look at it at two separate worlds with two separate themes: The old... the savior is coming.... The New... the savior is here.

what makes me laugh tho, is that people want music/tv censored, but if kids want sex, violence, homosexuality--- they need only pick up the bible. TELL THAT to a kid and he'll read it lol I did.

I think the old test. portrays God as a jealous and angry God though, and the New as a forgiving and loving God. This was a contradiction in my catholic upbringing (the priest read the bible to us and interpreted it for us..... Jealousy is one of the 7 deadly sins, God is perfect cannot sin, yet God is a jealous God... so how can jealousy be a sin). Round and round we went.

Some people think that God evolved over time and changed, however others say that perfection does not need changing and God is forever what he is.

All I know is what I read and got out of it... Lots of interesting stories of battles, decisions, lessons, and an interesting look at life's struggles.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Opa Shale wrote:In the '70s during spiritual searching I read the four books of the Gospel while living a hermits life in the woods reading at night by oil lamp. It seemed to have more impact living by the same technology of the time (no running water, no electricity).

I have read other parts of that dreadful old testiment as research. Judeo/Christian is not a religion of peace and love.
    I've always found it quite odd when people refer to the "Judeo/Christian" religion as if they were one common faith. But Judaism is one religion (The Old Testament) and Christianity is a different one (The New Testament) and though Christianity is based on Judaism, I'm pretty sure when you examine the content of both books they are quite different. Regarding the four Gospels, what part about them would you consider to be the antithesis of peace and love? confused
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I read it, but not cover to cover. I think it's more suited to be digested in pieces, than as a whole all at once. I jump around a lot, and sometimes literally let it drop onto the table and see where it opens to and start reading.

If I'm looking for a particular topic or verse, I either use http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/ to search out, or I keep a paper tucked in it to jot down notes on, of things I may want to go back to later and re-read.

I think if you believe in God and are truly interested in studying up a bit, then He'll lead you to those passages/books in the Bible that are meant for you to read.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

captainbryce wrote:I've always found it quite odd when people refer to the "Judeo/Christian" religion as if they were one common faith. But Judaism is one religion (The Old Testament) and Christianity is a different one (The New Testament) and though Christianity is based on Judaism, I'm pretty sure when you examine the content of both books they are quite different. Regarding the four Gospels, what part about them would you consider to be the antithesis of peace and love? confused
    Christians include the Old Testament (Torah) in their scripture and often quote from that dreadful text when condemning homosexuals to death, (but neglect to kill those wearing poly/cotton blend clothes). Therefore I include Judeo/Christian for following the same hateful scripture.

As for the New Testament, I am only interested in the gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John (&Thomas). Those books concern the life of Jesus. The rest of the New Testament is the writings of Paul, proselytizing his new religion, trying to convert Romans and Greeks and build a church. And I don't particularly like the Christian Church.

Last edited by Opa Shale on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 pm

big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Oh yeah, every Sunday, I'm not proud to admit I have not gotten through the whole thing yet in the 8 years I've been reading it. But this is how our family does church, we don't go to one, my father used to be a minister so we do it at home, read 2 chapters, or more depending on their length, and he paraphrases the parts that call for interpretation and we take away how this coincides with what's going on now. Got about 225 pages left, but I've decided whenever we DO finish it, I'm going to 'regular' church to see what it's like.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Just a comment on Captain Bryce's post about the Old vs. New Testament/ Judeo-Christian:

If you take a look at what's going on in both Testaments, you'll see that in the Old Testament, God required sacrifices of animals, grain, and what have you. Also, when people went to the temple to bring their sacrifices and worship God, they were only allowed to go inside so far--there literally was a veil that separated the populace from the "Holiest of Holies" section where only the temple Priests could go.

In the New Testament, that's all about a new covenant between God and the people. The ways in the Old Testament weren't working anymore in God's eyes--people were still on the fast track to sin, death, being unsaved, so He tried something different, and that was to abolish all the former ways/sacrifices, and accept Jesus as the final blood sacrifice required for our salvation.

Notice that after Jesus' death on the Cross, that there were no more sacrifices of animals, grains, etc., at least not to the God in question--pagan gods probably still got their share of blood sacrifice, etc.

But what's most important, is remembering that veil in the temple that used to separate God from the people--at the moment Jesus died on the Cross, that veil was torn in half,--that was symbolic and literal for opening the passage for people to go directly to God themselves.

Matthew 27: 50-51:

50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Just because God changed his gameplan, doesn't mean that Judeism ended right there and there was nothing but Christianity. The term "Judeo-Christian" is certainly plausable in the New Testament; Jesus was a Jew, and God's new way of worshipping, coming to Him, etc. was meant to be an adjustment to Judeism, whereby both Jews and Gentiles could worship together as one, under the "New" plan of Christianity, because all were welcome then, as they still are, today, under that new form of faith.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I have read passages, but I haven't read it cover to cover. My hats off to anyone who has, because that's a feat.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Chris wrote:I have read passages, but I haven't read it cover to cover. My hats off to anyone who has, because that's a feat.

Do you read the bible? 35166
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Not as much as I should. But it's something I'm hoping to remedy.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Opa Shale wrote:
    Christians include the Old Testament (Torah) in their scripture and often quote from that dreadful text when condemning homosexuals to death, (but neglect to kill those wearing poly/cotton blend clothes). Therefore I include Judeo/Christian for following the same hateful scripture.

As for the New Testament, I am only interested in the gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John (&Thomas). Those books concern the life of Jesus. The rest of the New Testament is the writings of Paul, proselytizing his new religion, trying to convert Romans and Greeks and build a church. And I don't particularly like the Christian Church.
    I'm not arguing with you with regards to the teachings of Paul or the actions of homophobic Christians. But surely, a relatively small percentage of vocal homophobes within a religious group doesn't speak for the religion as a whole. Clearly "Christianity" represents the teachings of Jesus Christ and not the actions of so-called Christians does it not?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm

I don't study it, but I have investigated certain chapters, verses and books.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 pm

captainbryce wrote:I'm not arguing with you with regards to the teachings of Paul or the actions of homophobic Christians. But surely, a relatively small percentage of vocal homophobes within a religious group doesn't speak for the religion as a whole. Clearly "Christianity" represents the teachings of Jesus Christ and not the actions of so-called Christians does it not?
    IDK, you been in any Southern Baptist churches in Dixie lately? I'm sure a poll of most Christian denominations could determine their acceptance of homosexuality. Notice I said homosexuality instead of homosexuals - to avoid that "hate the sin love the sinner" bullshit they come up with. (It ain't no fucking sin!)
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am

captainbryce wrote:I'm not arguing with you with regards to the teachings of Paul or the actions of homophobic Christians. But surely, a relatively small percentage of vocal homophobes within a religious group doesn't speak for the religion as a whole. Clearly "Christianity" represents the teachings of Jesus Christ and not the actions of so-called Christians does it not?

Thank you! RIGHT ON! For non-Christians/non-believers to lump us all together under whatever heading, shows nothing but ignorance on their part. Personally, I don't believe that homosexuality was the way God intended for things to be, just for the simple fact that one of the main purposes for sex was/is to propagate the human race by making babies. Two men together or two women together cannot physically make a baby.

There are and have been, many people in my life, right down to one of my brother in laws, who are gay/homosexual, and I've never had a problem with any of them being that way. As I said prior, I don't think that's the way God planned for things to be, but I also have the sense to know that it's not my place to judge their practice, or any other lifestyle for that matter. It is my job as a Christian, however, to be fair, and a good friend to all, to the best of my ability and leave the judgements to God.

If God wants to call homosexuality and anything else an abomination as He does in Deuteronomy, then that's certainly His right, having created the world and everything in it in the first place.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 am

Opa Shale wrote:
    IDK, you been in any Southern Baptist churches in Dixie lately? I'm sure a poll of most Christian denominations could determine their acceptance of homosexuality. Notice I said homosexuality instead of homosexuals - to avoid that "hate the sin love the sinner" bullshit they come up with. (It ain't no fucking sin!)
    It's isn't even just the baptists but the ones who call themselves more "modern". The Vineyard & Calvary Chapel have horrible reputations for banning people who are gay from their doors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:50 am