CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Shale
Tony Marino
Chris
7 posters

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? Empty Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress?

Post by Chris Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 am

We all do it, the question is: do you think it's reasonable to judge someone's overall character based on how they dress themselves?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? Empty Re: Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress?

Post by Tony Marino Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 am

Well yes and no, some people just have no fashion sense.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? Empty Re: Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress?

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 am

I wear cutoff denim shorts, flip flops and a T-shirt or less. Ppl might judge me as an old Hippie who cares for comfort over style. And they would be right.

I judge those idiot young black (sometimes Hispanic) men who wear their pants half-a-foot lower than their underwear. Stupid thug look just makes them look like an idiot in most ppl's opinion.

We have a great news video locally where such an idiot was running from the police (followed all the way by a news helicopter who pointed out his every move and the apt he ducked into). He had to hold his pants up while running. If you are going to be a scofflaw have the sense to wear good running shoes and maybe a belt - IDIOT.)

So I judged him as a stupid low-life AND HE WAS.

(After 8 burly cops dragged him out of the apartment he kept fighting them until they tasered him. Did I say he looked STUPID!)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am

Reasonable or not I think it's just human nature to judge a book by it's cover. I can look past their appearance once I get to know them.

Last edited by Alan Smithee on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Reasonable or not I think it's just human nature to judge a book by it's cover.
    Especially if the book chooses its own cover.

Y'know most of the time I don't have a cover. Guess ppl judge me by that as well.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Well, yes and no. It IS human nature ~ it's just that sometimes our judgments may be off.

But I have to agree with Shale's comments, too. People are responsible for how they appear to others, and if some stupid-asses want to bare theirs with their pants almost to the knees then they deserve being judged as thugs and retards. There is absolutely NO point to that look ~ it's past ridiculous.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Bluesmama wrote:... There is absolutely NO point to that look ~ it's past ridiculous.

It just won't die.

I have even thot of dressing like that myself - maybe that would kill it off. Should see if a bunch of old, bald, bearded WHITE men would dress like that as a public service.

DESTROY THE IMAGE!!!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Bluesmama wrote:Well, yes and no. It IS human nature ~ it's just that sometimes our judgments may be off.

But I have to agree with Shale's comments, too. People are responsible for how they appear to others, and if some stupid-asses want to bare theirs with their pants almost to the knees then they deserve being judged as thugs and retards. There is absolutely NO point to that look ~ it's past ridiculous.

As much as I don't like that trend, you're wrong. No one deserves to be judged as thugs and retards because of anything. It's a stupid fashion trend that men and woman do, but I look at it as that. It's a FASHION blunder. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Chris wrote:We all do it, the question is: do you think it's reasonable to judge someone's overall character based on how they dress themselves?

Well, dress and fashion is all a part of someone's overall style and what they like. I won't judge their character per se by it. Like if I see a well dressed person who has on a bunch of labels (and I know label whores) and I would just think they like nice clothes. They could be a irresponsible person, a bitch, a jerk, whatever...but you would never know that unless you knew them. Same with if I see someone with a grungy look. Perhaps he/she just likes that look. Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? 2517814472
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

As much as I don't like that trend, you're wrong. No one deserves to be judged as thugs and retards because of anything. It's a stupid fashion trend that men and woman do, but I look at it as that. It's a FASHION blunder. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I decided to go out in public dressed like a hooker then that's the chance I take, and no one brings that on me but myself. It's just like women who wear revealing clothes then get offended because men look at them. Don't like it, don't wear it. Because it imparts the message that you want men to stare. So, yes, I think it's deserved.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

If I decided to go out in public dressed like a hooker then that's the chance I take, and no one brings that on me but myself.
    It's just like women who wear revealing clothes then get offended because men look at them. Don't like it, don't wear it. Because it imparts the message that you want men to stare. So, yes, I think it's deserved.

Sooo....you think ALL thugs and retards sag their pants? LOL, you sound like one of those people who would blame the woman if she was attacked because of the way she was dressed. It is NOT deserved. If chick wears a halter and fishnet stockings and get offended when a guy comments on it, she gets offended by what he said. A comment can be offensive. And you don't impart any kind of message by wearing 'hooker' clothes because what's hooker to you and what's hooker to her could be two very different things. Sure she could be feigning for attention. But that doesn't deserve the right to be disrespected. Ever thinking maybe she's wearing a halter top because it's hot? Or she just liks the color of the top? Or the cut of it? Bottom line: people wear clothes for different reasons. And you shouldn't judge people by it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Sooo....you think ALL thugs and retards sag their pants? LOL, you sound like one of those people who would blame the woman if she was attacked because of the way she was dressed. It is NOT deserved. If chick wears a halter and fishnet stockings and get offended when a guy comments on it, she gets offended by what he said. A comment can be offensive. And you don't impart any kind of message by wearing 'hooker' clothes because what's hooker to you and what's hooker to her could be two very different things. Sure she could be feigning for attention. But that doesn't deserve the right to be disrespected. Ever thinking maybe she's wearing a halter top because it's hot? Or she just liks the color of the top? Or the cut of it? Bottom line: people wear clothes for different reasons. And you shouldn't judge people by it.

Sigh!

No, I don't think all guys who wear pant waists below their butts are thugs (for one thing, I can't imagine anyone wearing those can successfully RUN when they need to!).

If a smelly person in a mud-crusted coat, with hair that's been unwashed for a long time, reeks of pee and alcohol, sits by you in a subway. . . Are you not going to assume he may be homeless? After all, he could be a millionaire in disguise, y'know. And if you say no, you wouldn't have preconceived notions in your mind about this person then congratulations; you are more noble than most.

And I will repeat what I wrote in another thread: There is a fine line between "judging" and opinions. The latter, we are entitled to those. And it's very easy to get confused at the difference between the two. And it is my OPINION that yes, that particular fashion dud makes the wearers look like uneducated thugs. Do I think they ARE? No.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Bluesmama wrote:
    Sigh!

No, I don't think all guys who wear pant waists below their butts are thugs (for one thing, I can't imagine anyone wearing those can successfully RUN when they need to!).

If a smelly person in a mud-crusted coat, with hair that's been unwashed for a long time, reeks of pee and alcohol, sits by you in a subway. . . Are you not going to assume he may be homeless? After all, he could be a millionaire in disguise, y'know. And if you say no, you wouldn't have preconceived notions in your mind about this person then congratulations; you are more noble than most.

And I will repeat what I wrote in another thread: There is a fine line between "judging" and opinions. The latter, we are entitled to those. And it's very easy to get confused at the difference between the two. And it is my OPINION that yes, that particular fashion dud makes the wearers look like uneducated thugs. Do I think they ARE? No.

co-signs

Speaking of the thug style pants hanging loose off the butt, ppl who dress like that are trying to convey the thug image. (It comes from having your belt removed when in lockup). And they don't necessarily have to be thugs to go for the street image.

My oldest grandson tries that shit. He ain't from no ghetto. He's from the burbs - he and his bro have the same daddy, who has lived with their mama for quarter century. And yet, he goes on MySpace and puts guns and money and dope images all over his page and acts a fool. (I have a right to speak of him like this - I'm his opa)

So, ppl who dress a certain way will be judged by ppl who see them. It is all an image and you should know the image you are projecting.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Bluesmama wrote: If I decided to go out in public dressed like a hooker then that's the chance I take, and no one brings that on me but myself.
    It's just like women who wear revealing clothes then get offended because men look at them. Don't like it, don't wear it. Because it imparts the message that you want men to stare. So, yes, I think it's deserved.

Nystyle709 wrote:
    ... LOL, you sound like one of those people who would blame the woman if she was attacked because of the way she was dressed. It is NOT deserved. If chick wears a halter and fishnet stockings and get offended when a guy comments on it, she gets offended by what he said. A comment can be offensive. And you don't impart any kind of message by wearing 'hooker' clothes because what's hooker to you and what's hooker to her could be two very different things. Sure she could be feigning for attention. But that doesn't deserve the right to be disrespected. Ever thinking maybe she's wearing a halter top because it's hot? Or she just liks the color of the top? Or the cut of it? Bottom line: people wear clothes for different reasons. And you shouldn't judge people by it.

I don't think she implied she thot that at all. I agree, a woman dresses like a hooker, wears tight revealing clothes is advertising. If she ain't a hooker is irrelevant because she want to be noticed like the girls walking the boulevard.

I live in a city and have seen women walk down the street and EVERY guys head turned to follow her because she was dressed like a hooker (Likely was because that is the neighborhood) Good for her for getting what she desired. And if a woman is so clueless as to think she can dress like that and NOT be noticed or assumed to be what she looks like, then it will be an education when some guy asks about price.

I dress like I do and travel the same streets that are dangerous for tourists who dress like tourists. Ppl see me and know I ain't got nothin' They see the clean dressed tourist, especially wearing a suit and go after him. Ppl do make assumptions by outward appearance. You can argue that it is wrong but that is the way it is.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

I don't think she implied she thot that at all. I agree, a woman dresses like a hooker, wears tight revealing clothes is advertising. If she ain't a hooker is irrelevant because she want to be noticed like the girls walking the boulevard.

I live in a city and have seen women walk down the street and EVERY guys head turned to follow her because she was dressed like a hooker (Likely was because that is the neighborhood) Good for her for getting what she desired. And if a woman is so clueless as to think she can dress like that and NOT be noticed or assumed to be what she looks like, then it will be an education when some guy asks about price.

I dress like I do and travel the same streets that are dangerous for tourists who dress like tourists. Ppl see me and know I ain't got nothin' They see the clean dressed tourist, especially wearing a suit and go after him. Ppl do make assumptions by outward appearance. You can argue that it is wrong but that is the way it is.
    LMAO!

Neither one of you are getting it. The Damn girl just said that guys who sag their pants DESERVES to be judged as a thug. Who the fuck DESERVES r o be judged as as stereotype? Who the fuck made it a rule that sagging pants is a characteristic of a thug? And regarding women who dress like hookers, I didn'tvsay that a woman dressed provocatively shouldnt expect attention. I Saud A woman who gets offended by a comment is nit offended by the attention, she's offended by what was said. I don't give a Damn WHAT you have on.....disrespect shouldn't be accepted or expected. There is difference between noticing a woman that looks good and telling her you like what you see, versus being lewd. Maybe the actuality escapes the both of you if you're not familiar or been around respectable men(they ARE out there), but THAT was my point.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Sigh!

Lol. I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste properly.....but you are flip flopping now. What you meant and what you Said are completely different. Now you won't THINK they are thugs, but they DESERVE to be judged as such. Lol, whatever. Just in case you didn't know.....sagging pants wasn't started by thugs". That's some shit that was started in jail for homosexual purposes. Are most gay men "thugs"? I know some thugs that don't sag their pants. Wonder if you would be able to tell that they would rob your ass given the chance if you saw them.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Nystyle709 wrote: ... Who the fuck made it a rule that sagging pants is a characteristic of a thug? ...

Opa Shale wrote:
    Speaking of the thug style pants hanging loose off the butt, ppl who dress like that are trying to convey the thug image. (It comes from having your belt removed when in lockup). And they don't necessarily have to be thugs to go for the street image.

Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Lol. I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste properly.....but you are flip flopping now. What you meant and what you Said are completely different. Now you won't THINK they are thugs, but they DESERVE to be judged as such. Lol, whatever. Just in case you didn't know.....sagging pants wasn't started by thugs". That's some shit that was started in jail for homosexual purposes. Are most gay men "thugs"? I know some thugs that don't sag their pants. Wonder if you would be able to tell that they would rob your ass given the chance if you saw them.

I just re-read all my posts, and there is no "flip-flop".

Post #6: You don't like the word 'deserve'. Fine.
    Post #10: You still don't like the word 'deserve'. Fine.
    Post #12: I stated that I don't assume that all wearers of that fad are thugs, and you read it as "flip-flop". But that IS what the wearers apparently want to look like. Call it an identity quirk of youth, or shock treatment. But it isn't a fad intended to LOOK good!

And this is the last entry that this "damn girl" is leaving in this thread. So knock yourself out.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Opa Shale wrote:I wear cutoff denim shorts, flip flops and a T-shirt or less. Ppl might judge me as an old Hippie who cares for comfort over style. And they would be right.

I judge those idiot young black (sometimes Hispanic) men who wear their pants half-a-foot lower than their underwear. Stupid thug look just makes them look like an idiot in most ppl's opinion.

We have a great news video locally where such an idiot was running from the police (followed all the way by a news helicopter who pointed out his every move and the apt he ducked into). He had to hold his pants up while running. If you are going to be a scofflaw have the sense to wear good running shoes and maybe a belt - IDIOT.)

So I judged him as a stupid low-life AND HE WAS.

(After 8 burly cops dragged him out of the apartment he kept fighting them until they tasered him. Did I say he looked STUPID!)

Why mention black or Hispanic? Last time I looked around, they weren't the only two races sagging their pants.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

FireIce918 wrote:...
    Why mention black or Hispanic? Last time I looked around, they weren't the only two races sagging their pants.
    That's all I see down here in Miami-Dade County, mostly young black men and boys with the occasional Hispanic. Maybe it's different in Virginia. IDK

Urban Weekend May 28, 2011
    Ocean Drive SoBe

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? 2011SoBeMay2817Web

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? 2011SoBeMay2818Web
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

I just re-read all my posts, and there is no "flip-flop".

Post #6: You don't like the word 'deserve'. Fine.
    Post #10: You still don't like the word 'deserve'. Fine.
    Post #12: I stated that I don't assume that all wearers of that fad are thugs, and you read it as "flip-flop". But that IS what the wearers apparently want to look like. Call it an identity quirk of youth, or shock treatment. But it isn't a fad intended to LOOK good!

And this is the last entry that this "damn girl" is leaving in this thread. So knock yourself out.

Ding ding ding ding. Isn't it obvious why I responded? It's ridiculous for you to assume people are as judgmental as you are. You in the church ain't cha? The only person who DESERVES to "judge" someone is God. big grin and you're wrong again. It is a fad intended to look good. Thats why they do it. Sagging your pants does not mean you're trying to act like a "thug". People do that shit cause they think its cute. Which it is not to me.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:27 pm

FireIce918 wrote:

Because only niggers and spics are into that "thug" look. That ghetto look us only characteristic to them. You didn't know?

LMAO!

Perhaps these people who "judge" should at least know what "thug" culture is. Sagging pants is not a part of it.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    ...Perhaps these people ...
    d-oh!

Anyhow, here is a pic of that nice man whom I assumed was going for the thug look by his attire. In fact the pic is a screen cap off of the CBS site and they tagged it the Droopy Drawers Chase. This shot was after he exited the car they had followed driving recklessly for miles.

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? Droopy10

This non-thug man, 37-year-old Luther Henry, was followed by the TV News Chopper which he thot he could outrun. The fool jumped out of his car and took off on foot, ran into an apartment, over which the chopper stood watch until the cops arrived. He was also seen fighting with the cops after they had him.

Now I know I'm one of those ppl who think he dressed like a thug, but hey, he's apparently a nice man who just got panicked because after he assaulted the cop across county he was worried that cop buds would catch him.

CBS News did a search of the Florida Department of Corrections which showed Henry has been in and out of prison since 1992, serving for various crimes including burglary, resisting arrest with violence, and drug infractions.

Sorry I mistook him for a thug by the way he was dressed.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 am

Opa Shale wrote:
    Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? 778350

Anyhow, here is a pic of that nice man whom I assumed was going for the thug look by his attire. In fact the pic is a screen cap off of the CBS site and they tagged it the Droopy Drawers Chase. This shot was after he exited the car they had followed driving recklessly for miles.

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? Droopy10

This non-thug man, 37-year-old Luther Henry, was followed by the TV News Chopper which he thot he could outrun. The fool jumped out of his car and took off on foot, ran into an apartment, over which the chopper stood watch until the cops arrived. He was also seen fighting with the cops after they had him.

Now I know I'm one of those ppl who think he dressed like a thug, but hey, he's apparently a nice man who just got panicked because after he assaulted the cop across county he was worried that cop buds would catch him.

CBS News did a search of the Florida Department of Corrections which showed Henry has been in and out of prison since 1992, serving for various crimes including burglary, resisting arrest with violence, and drug infractions.

Sorry I mistook him for a thug by the way he was dressed.

Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress? 954338

It just doesn't stop. You just can't admit the fact that you are wrong. His behavior makes him a "thug" (not even), not his fucking pants.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 am

Nystyle709 wrote: [It just doesn't stop. You just can't admit the fact that you are wrong. His behavior makes him a "thug" (not even), not his fucking pants.

It just doesn't stop. You just can't admit the fact that you are wrong.

His behavior makes him a thug and his attire reflects that image of a stupid thug, which answers the question "Is it superficial to judge someone by how they dress?" with "Not always."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 pm