CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Nystyle709
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
9 posters

Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex? Empty Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex?

Post by Chris Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:50 am

Would you consider it bad parenting for if a parent willfully neglects to talk to their kids about sex?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex? Empty Re: Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex?

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 am

Not necessarily. If the parents are going to just tell the kids to wear a rubber (or etc.) and be on their way (which usually amounts to the sex-talk most of the time), they ain't doing much good. If they are going to advise them to actually consider all possible outcomes BEFORE getting into the sack, then it might do some good. But that isn't done. We live in a culture of instant gratification and alas, the consequences for that are evident.

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex? Empty Re: Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex?

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:39 am

I think so because it's a fact of life, even if their kid was planning to join a convent they have to know about sex and what can and can't happen because it is going to happen to them sooner or later.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am

It's dumb parenting.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

Back in the sex-negative days ppl were embarrassed to talk about such things. When I obviously started changing in my teens, mom must have noticed the stiff socks or remnants of wet dreams. That's when she handed me this little red book, written by a doctor and clued me to the mechanix of sex and some of the social realities including prostitutes.

Books are probably a good idea for those who can't talk to their kids even today.

BTW this is a really good one:

Is it negligent for parents to not talk to their kids about sex? 51-bj0Zz47L._SS500_
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 pm

I think its a good idea to talk to your kids about sex when they are at an age where they will understand (what 12 today?)
    Most parents are probably too embarrassed to talk about it with their kids. I think kids learn a lot from other kids and especially when they are in school. My parents never talked to me about sex, I learned everything first hand and from other kids and doing my own research.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Knowledge is good.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 pm

They're not doing them any favors....and it becomes worse when those same parents don't want their kids taking Sex Ed. at school. As if keeping ignorant and making sex into a 4-letter word will keep them from having it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Much of this has been a generational thing. That wasn't done, or considered, so much when I was a kid. My mom's answer was always "You'll find out someday" (marriage). So I learned on my own through any books I could find (which beat the hell out of getting knocked up!) My sister-in-law was pretty good about answering questions.

Today it's a tricky situation because little kids find things out before the parents think it's "time" to address it. And when faced with looking into a 6 year-old's eyes, I imagine it's awkward to know how much to divulge.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I think its a good idea to talk to your kids about sex when they are at an age where they will understand (what 12 today?)
    Most parents are probably too embarrassed to talk about it with their kids. I think kids learn a lot from other kids and especially when they are in school. My parents never talked to me about sex, I learned everything first hand and from other kids and doing my own research.

I think they need to know it long before 12 now because that's when a lot of kids are starting. I found out at 9.

Current date/time is Wed May 29, 2024 1:57 am