CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video) Empty Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video)

Post by Chris Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:36 am

http://www.newsy.com/videos/teacher-sharpies-student-s-scalp/

U.S. News: Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp
    Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp
    October 16, 2011

BY JESSICA SMITH

A Texas junior high teacher is catching some heat for coloring inside the lines. CNN explains.

“You can see where the bottom line is filled in on Sheldon William’s head. The school said William’s hair cut violated school’s dresscode. So instead of getting on the phone and calling mom, the assistant principal went ahead and filled in the design with a sharpie.”

The school’s dresscode prohibits “hair designs shaved into the hair,” but William’s mom, Philleniea, says the two lines have never been a problem before. She’s not too happy with how the school handled the problem. Here’s what she said to KSLA.

“If the parents gives you permission to do such things then its OK to do that, but to take the initiative and just say ‘I’m going to color your hair in with a permanent marker’...that’s just disrespectful.”

And for twelve year old Sheldon, it’s pretty simple.

“I was kind of mad. Because I don’t want no Sharpie marker in my hair!”

The principal is new to the district, and said she thought permanent markers were the school’s protocol for hair cut violations. So, in the Longview Texas News-Journal, William’s mom concludes,

“They must have been coloring kids heads for a while.”

In the same article the superintendent responds, saying he’s “truly embarrassed about what has happened...I want to apologize to the parents publicly about what has happened.”

The apology doesn’t cut it for Williams. She claims the principal said the lines were gang related--and the Marshall News Messenger reports William’s mom filed a grievance with the school district.

“Kids have Mohawks and other hairdos, and I can understand that, but two lines? How is that gang related?”

But the Huffington Post points out, dress code debates aren’t that unsual.

“School dress codes and how violations are handled are often contentious issues among schools, students and parents. Earlier this month, a 12-year old Nebraska student was told by her principal she couldn’t wear a necklace that looks like a rosary, citing its similarity to a gang symbol.”

The dress code still stands--but school administrators say they won’t use Sharpies to write up students for violations again. And for now, Sheldon has a new hair cut--this time, with no stripes.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video) Empty Re: Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video)

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:37 am

The principal is new to the district, and said she thought permanent markers were the school’s protocol for hair cut violations

ROFLMAO!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video) Empty Re: Teacher Sharpies Student's Scalp (video)

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 am

LOL. Where do these people come from?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Always controllers trying to push us into a mold of their conformity.

Kid got his lesson in school. Hope he lets it guide him in life.

(OH, did I say I was an iconoclast?)
    blank stare @ you
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Opa Shale wrote:(OH, did I say I was an iconoclast?) blank stare @ you

No, it was implied.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Dear lord.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 am