CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
AtownPeep
Nystyle709
Shale
CeCe
tmontyb
Chris
10 posters

Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight Empty Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight

Post by Chris Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:23 am

What do you think? Should obese people have to buy multiple plane tickets if their bodies take up more than one seat?

http://www.elliott.org/blog/forced-to-stand-for-a-seven-hour-flight/

Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight

November 22, 2011
    Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight Usair-e1270631709307

At nearly seven hours, US Airways flight 901 is one of the longest domestic nonstop airline flights. And Arthur Berkowitz knows how long it takes to get from Anchorage to Philadelphia down to the minute. That’s because he says he had to stand for most of the flight when he returned to Philly last July.

Why would anyone stand for that long? Because he says a morbidly obese passenger seated next to him was spilling into his personal space, making it impossibly to sit in his assigned seat, and the flight was completely full.

“I didn’t fly from Alaska to Philadelphia on flight 901,” he says. “I stood.”

Telling an airline passenger who can’t fit into a seat to stand is pretty unusual. But it happens. The question is, what should the airline do about it?

Before answering, let’s review some of the specifics of Berkowitz’s complaint. He boarded the flight on July 29, and was grateful to find an empty middle seat next to him. But that gratitude turned to horror when the airline sent a late-boarding passenger who weighed more than 400 pounds to the seat. It was the last empty one on the plane.

“His size required both armrests to be raised up and allowed for his body to cover half of my seat,” he says.

Berkowitz immediately notified the flight attendants about the passenger. He recalls,

They were sympathetic, but could not do anything. No other seats existed on plane. They would not permit me to sit in their jump seats, and fully acknowledged the mistake by their gate agent, in allowing this individual on plane without requiring him to purchase and occupy two seats.

That wasn’t just a comfort issue, according to Berkowitz. It was also a safety problem.

“It did not allow me to use my seatbelt during takeoff and landing as well as required me to stand in the aisle and galley area for most of the seven-hour plus flight,” he says.

After he returned, he wrote a brief, polite email to the airline, asking it to refund his fare or for a voucher for the full amount. He also reported the incident to authorities, citing his safety concerns.

US Airways responded with an email that described his travel experience as “regrettable” and apologizing for the “difficulties” he encountered.

“Our intention is to offer the best travel experience possible,” it added. “The details you have provided indicate that we have failed to meet our intentions.”

The airline offered a $200 voucher for Berkowitz’s trouble. It didn’t address any of his safety issues.

He wasn’t happy with that, so he contacted me. I reviewed his case and agreed with him that US Airways might want to take another look at his complaint. I mean, leaving a passenger with no alternative but to stand for almost seven hours — if that’s true, then this might be one of those rare cases when a full refund is in order.

I contacted US Airways on his behalf. A representative told me US Airways had made its last, best offer. It didn’t say anything about the safety concerns this case raises.

Berkowitz says the airline is missing the point. It is glossing over the safety problems created by allowing overweight passengers to buy one seat.

“The $200 is inappropriate,” he adds. “I paid in excess of $800 for the ticket.”
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight Empty Re: Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight

Post by tmontyb Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 am

In this case I would probably sue US Airways. They should have given this guy a full refund. There is no excuse for making a passenger stand on any flight, let alone 7 freakin hours. I think he has a great case.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight Empty Re: Passenger forced to stand for a seven-hour airline flight

Post by CeCe Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:29 am

I agree with him. He should get a full refund.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:47 am

tmontyb wrote:In this case I would probably sue US Airways. They should have given this guy a full refund. There is no excuse for making a passenger stand on any flight, let alone 7 freakin hours. I think he has a great case.

co-signs

And I don't care what bogus civil rights case fat ppl might want to pursue but if your fat ass is too big to fit in one seat then pay for two. (Incentive to get down to a healthy size).

"They were sympathetic, but could not do anything. No other seats existed on plane. They would not permit me to sit in their jump seats, and fully acknowledged the mistake by their gate agent, in allowing this individual on plane without requiring him to purchase and occupy two seats."

I would have insisted that the armrest be down and if fat passenger couldn't fit in the assigned space he coulda stood for seven hours. Yes, I think I would be getting a lawyer and sueing them.

And I can't understand how obtuse US Airways is being. That not seating with a seat belt on takeoff and landing is an FAA issue and they should be looking at the safety infraction big time. He should have been given a jump seat that flight crew uses without question.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:17 pm

LOL, that's fucked up. I would've gotten a free trip to Hawaii from US Airways for that one.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:13 pm

"Apologetic" and a $200 credit wouldn't do. He needs to be completely compensated for the flight and should sue. That morbidly obese passenger should have been made to leave or stand, since they were the one who took up more room than the ticket they paid for.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I think he should be refunded his full fare considering that he was in danger the whole flight and could not use a seat belt. In answer to the other question about obese people buying multiple seats yes I think that it would be a good idea for a person that can't fit in one seat to buy 2 seats, since it would be literally impossible for anyone else to sit next to said person comfortably and safely.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I absolutely cannot imagine this. I have a bad back, and standing still for 15 minutes can give me problems, let alone 7 HOURS!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:27 am

This guy was forced to give up the seat he paid for just to accommodate some morbidly obese passenger who needed the extra room?
    They should have made the fat dude stand up.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 am

This is pissing me off.

I FUCKING HATE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would have been BEYOND hot, had I boarded the plane ON TIME only to be bumped by a LATE BOARDER who is also OBESE, because they should have KNOWN there was no space for 400 FREAKING POUNDS OF FLESH!

I would have had to stop myself from making that flight fucking miserable for EVERYBODY. Me and the fat one may have had to throw hands so I could claim my spot!

$200 my ass, I would be suing for a full refund PLUS pain and suffering, there are seats on an airplane for a reason, ain't nobody supposed to be standing! Imagine if they would have hit turbulence, his ass would have went airborne and some more shit.....damn, I think I'm more pissed than him!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:18 am