CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

The Artist (2011)

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

The Artist (2011) Empty The Artist (2011)

Post by JWF Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:20 pm

"The Artist" has it all----no spoken words (almost), subtitles, black and white look, an actor and actress most of us has never seen. And a corny predictable teary script.

This adorable and attractive film is why we embrace the cinema and willing to pay the price of admission. It's Magic!

I'm a big fan of such classics such as "A Star is Born" and "Sunset Boulevard" (among others), but"The Artist" is much more than a retelling of these films. An invigorating fresh look during an era that was the purest of the times.

It's a story of silent era film star George Valentine (thank of Fairbanks/Valentino) who can't (or won't) adjust to the onset of sound. By 1931 (film opens in 1927) he's finished and broke. His wife has left him. He's a drunk. The only two that stayed by his side is his faithful dog Uggie (thank of Asta) and his driver/servant. However, while George's career collapses it's also time when unknowns turn into stars. Enters Peppy Miller (thank of the Flapper or It Girl).

Jean Dujardin as George Valentin performance is as good as most silent era actors. The supporting cast adds to the enjoyment: John Goodman as the studio head (thank Leo B Mayer). Penelope Ann Miller as George's wife. And the beautiful Berenice Bejo as the rising starlet.

It works on all levels. The ending would make MGM and Lockwood & Selden really proud.

A+ Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The Artist (2011) Empty Re: The Artist (2011)

Post by Shale Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:03 pm

I didn't see this movie today, but was in the neighborhood and saw Hugo set in 1920s Paris and involving silent movies.

A beautiful piece of moving art (in 3-D no less)
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Opa Shale wrote:I didn't see this movie today, but was in the neighborhood and saw Hugo set in 1920s Paris and involving silent movies.

A beautiful piece of moving art (in 3-D no less)

Both films have a 97% rating on RottenTomatoes.

I'll see "Hugo" at IMax upon the return of the kids to school. I need a rest. Seen 5 movies this week. And next Friday another 4 I want to see.

Jack

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:10 pm