CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint Empty Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Maybe you've seen these things, gold coins with Washington and Lincoln and Grant and such on them...my mom and I have gotten quite a few of them from the bank this past year, and now it turns out they are being discontinued by the U.S. Mint because nobody has a demand for them. On one hand I guess it's understandable because some people want coins declared obsolete as it is, but on the other it'd be a lot easier to drop one of these things in a Salvation Army kettle or most kinds of containers for donations than a paper dollar bill that has to be folded up to fit the slit in the lid.

Anybody have these things?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint Empty Re: Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I have a ton. Dad saves them for me. I spend them most of the time or give them to kids as gifts. But now that I know they are no longer making them, maybe I will save the ones I get in excellent condition.

Honestly, I don't really like spending them because a majority of the clerks don't know what they are.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint Empty Re: Presidential $1 coins being discontinued by the Mint

Post by FireIce918 Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:30 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I have a ton. Dad saves them for me. I spend them most of the time or give them to kids as gifts. But now that I know they are no longer making them, maybe I will save the ones I get in excellent condition.

Honestly, I don't really like spending them because a majority of the clerks don't know what they are.

Yeah, like the Sacajawea dollars. The only place I could really use them was NYC, where it made sense functionally. But get around a place with streams, deer, and trees....

"Sacajawho? I'd rather for you to just give me a paper dollar, dear. Jim Bob, come on over here and take a look at this, can we put this in the register? I'm not sure if I could use this anywhere else..."

Five minutes of debate later, you're on the way to the nearest bank to trade for traditional dollars so you won't have to go through that again.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 pm

FireIce918 wrote:

Yeah, like the Sacajawea dollars. The only place I could really use them was NYC, where it made sense functionally. But get around a place with streams, deer, and trees....

"Sacajawho? I'd rather for you to just give me a paper dollar, dear. Jim Bob, come on over here and take a look at this, can we put this in the register? I'm not sure if I could use this anywhere else..."

Five minutes of debate later, you're on the way to the nearest bank to trade for traditional dollars so you won't have to go through that again.

LOL, we got deers and trees here, but my dad took 20 Sacajawea dollars to buy something at Wal-mart and they took them, no question about it. I hold onto mine though, they're a bit hard to come by here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 am