CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

A Spy in Williamsburg

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

A Spy in Williamsburg Empty A Spy in Williamsburg

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm always interested in the older kids' books at the library, you can see it's a real generational difference because books for children written in the 50s had a lot of stories about early America and life in Paul Revere's time, about wars, the Civil War, the Battle of the Bulge, you'll never see anything today written like that for kids.

Anyway, I found this one, A Spy in Williamsburg, and saw a note in the beginning that the author had been given notice from Williamsburg that the story was as historically accurate as possible...tells about a 12 year old boy whose dad is a blacksmith, and they rent a room to Patrick Henry while the whole town is still divided and in arms following the Boston Tea Party, and mystery surrounds the young smith who comes to work for them. A good read I thought, as I got closer to the end it hit me this sounds like something I would've read when I was in elementary school alongside Johnny Tremain. And if I'd had it as a kid I probably wouldn't have taken to it, might've found it boring but then again I liked Johnny Tremain, but I never remembered much from the books I read at that time. But I digress, is anybody else familiar with this one?

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:55 am