CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
CeCe
Bluesmama
Cheaps
Tony Marino
Supernova
RedBedroom
10 posters

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Empty Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

You know those commercials that ask if you suffered such and such during a certain period of time, announcing they are bringing a class action lawsuit...Do you think the motivator is to get $ from people in the form of retainers and then the case never goes anywhere. Or do they actually get cases together?

If you don't have them in your area, you won't know what I am talking about. Here, there are so many for cancers, birth defects and motorcycle accidents.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Empty Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

My mother considered joining the lawsuit against Con-Agra foods when she got salmonella from the Peter Pan Peanut Butter (NEVER again we will never buy it again) and she almost died, but she decided not to because she found out even if they didn't win she'd still have to pay the attorneys.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Empty Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

RedBedroom wrote:You know those commercials that ask if you suffered such and such during a certain period of time, announcing they are bringing a class action lawsuit...Do you think the motivator is to get $ from people in the form of retainers and then the case never goes anywhere. Or do they actually get cases together?

If you don't have them in your area, you won't know what I am talking about. Here, there are so many for cancers, birth defects and motorcycle accidents.

I see them all the time on TV I think they are a bunch of bull.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 pm

I wouldn't trust them.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Ambulance chasers.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Supernova wrote:My mother considered joining the lawsuit against Con-Agra foods when she got salmonella from the Peter Pan Peanut Butter (NEVER again we will never buy it again) and she almost died, but she decided not to because she found out even if they didn't win she'd still have to pay the attorneys.

Hopefully there's someone here who has a background in law, but this doesn't sound right to me. Looked around & all the info was the same.
    Who pays the lawyers in a class action lawsuit?

In a class action for money damages, lawyers who represent the class are generally paid out of the money that's recovered - called a "common fund" - for the people they are representing. In class actions involving declaratory judgments or injunctive relief, lawyers may be paid by the people who hired them, or in some cases, by the people or companies they are suing.

Attorney's fee awards are subject to court review and approval. Ordinarily, if an award is made in a common fund case, it will be awarded as a percentage of the total money available for the class. A benchmark award generally accepted by the courts is approximately 25 percent of the total, although the award may be adjusted higher or lower, depending on the specific facts of a case.

http://class-actions.lawyers.com/Lawyer-Fees-in-Class-Actions.html

No idea how that particular case turned out but it may be that someone gave your mom some faulty information.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I dunno, but if you're the person that they are talking about, I don't think it would hurt to research it and check it out.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

In general, I think those commercials are just the lawyers trying to line their pockets.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 pm

We have a friend who has Mesothelioma, she and her husband saw an ad on TV for a number in the US to call. She did call it to make a long story short she has to date received about $100,000.00 . She had no clue as to where she had come in contact with asbestos, but the lawyers involved went all the way back in her working background,and schools. They found she had worked in a government liquor store when she was young, that shortly after she moved on the store had been torn down because it had asbestos in it. She is holding her own after fighting it for several years now, but of course who knows how long this spell of good health will last.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:01 pm

If I or a loved one has died from this thing, they want me to call them so they can freeload off of my suffering. FORGIVENESS MAN
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 am

Not necessarily true. And "freeloading" is hardly the case. As Suzi's post shows, there's a LOT of work that goes into discovery & filing & more filing. The average person couldn't pull it off alone. It sounds like they did a damn good job. We all tend to broad brush things sometimes. But the entire profession is far from corrupt.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 am