CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

Leap Year (1924) with Fatty Arbuckle

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Leap Year (1924) with Fatty Arbuckle Empty Leap Year (1924) with Fatty Arbuckle

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 pm

I am going to go on a limb and guess nobody here has seen this movie. And it would make sense, it was not theatrically released due to his trial, and it is not on any independent video release either, it can only be found to the best of my knowledge, on a 4 DVD set called The Forgotten Films of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle. I saw it on the big screen a few years back during a silent film festival and it was hilarious, though not as good I thought as the short they played before it, Coney Island with him and Buster Keaton.

The maestro of the Mont Alto Orchestra which provided the music for it then and the score for it and several other silent films when they're released on DVD explained that the title pertains to an old custom of during the leap year, during the leap day February 29th, women could ask men to marry them. And in this film Fatty is very much in love with his uncle's nurse, but she insists he falls in love with every woman he meets. He tries to disprove this but in the process he unknowingly gets himself engaged to 3 other women, and has to find a way to break off with them and keep Nurse Phyllis from finding out.

It's a cute little movie and it's too bad more people don't know about it and his work in general, but if you ever come by the means to see it, I highly recommend it.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:54 pm