CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Supernova
Bluesmama
Nystyle709
wants2laugh
10 posters

Home birth?

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Question Home birth?

Post by wants2laugh Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:55 pm

I was reading an article that said home births are on the rise because they cost a third of hospital births. With the recession, many people are finding that even with their insurance coverage, they would not be able to pay high deductibles associated with their policies.

Would you consider a home birth? Why or why not?

Men: would you be concerned for the safety of your partner/child?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Question Re: Home birth?

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:20 pm

I would prefer a hospital, but I'm open to consider it. Depends on how well my pregnancy is going.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Well, if I was to answer this before I had a baby then I might have said 'yes'.

But because of an agonizing labor I'd have to say no.

So many women died in childbirth before hospitals became the place to deliver them. On the other hand, I understand the concern with costs.

Too expensive to be born, too expensive to die.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Everybody probably recalls me saying a few days ago that my grandmother fell and broke her arm. She had to stay for the night in the hospital, and the doctors wanted to keep her for another day but my sister went and brought her home because she had to stay the night and listen to the patients with flu and pneumonia cough and hack all night and was NOT about to let Grandma get exposed to that too since that poses a greater threat than just a hairline fracture.

That said, people can say hospitals are sanitary and sterilized all they want, they're still full of people who are sick, as well as those who are highly contagious, and why would you deliberately choose to expose your newborn to all those germs? That is one large reason why I would opt for an at home birth. Then there's cost. And then there's also the risk of having a doctor who is COMPLETELY incompetent like my mother's misfortune when she had me.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I would be too afraid of something going wrong and not having necessary equipment.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 pm

wants2laugh wrote:I was reading an article that said home births are on the rise because they cost a third of hospital births. With the recession, many people are finding that even with their insurance coverage, they would not be able to pay high deductibles associated with their policies.

Would you consider a home birth? Why or why not?

You're goddamn right! My wife needed an emergency C-section.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

You're goddamn right! My wife needed an emergency C-section.

And this is exactly why it should be in a hospital. Things can go wrong in a hurry & downhill even faster. I know it's trendy but the baby is not going to remember the birth or be any healthier in a home setting. Safety should be the priority.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

CeCe wrote:

And this is exactly why it should be in a hospital. Things can go wrong in a hurry & downhill even faster. I know it's trendy but the baby is not going to remember the birth or be any healthier in a home setting. Safety should be the priority.

I wouldn't be sure about that. How many people are in the house during a birth? How many people in a hospital? How many sick people in a hospital? And how many germs that come in contact with the doctors and nurses who in turn come in contact with all the other patients as well?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am

Supernova wrote:

I wouldn't be sure about that. How many people are in the house during a birth? How many people in a hospital? How many sick people in a hospital? And how many germs that come in contact with the doctors and nurses who in turn come in contact with all the other patients as well?

And what is someone going to do at home when the baby is not getting sufficient oxygen because the cord is compressed in some way? When the mother begins to bleed out or when her blood pressure skyrockets? When it's discovered late in the game that the baby cannot be delivered vaginally? Time is of the essence in those situations. Having a baby isn't as simple as breathe & push. Things can start out fine & then turn faster than a lot of people understand.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 am

Supernova wrote:

Every time I hug my daughter I'm glad we risked it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 am

CeCe wrote:

And what is someone going to do at home when the baby is not getting sufficient oxygen because the cord is compressed in some way? When the mother begins to bleed out or when her blood pressure skyrockets? When it's discovered late in the game that the baby cannot be delivered vaginally? Time is of the essence in those situations. Having a baby isn't as simple as breathe & push. Things can start out fine & then turn faster than a lot of people understand.

Yeah and yet somehow most women who have them at home are still alive.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:49 am

Supernova wrote:

Yeah and yet somehow most women who have them at home are still alive.

Don't know about "most". Haven't seen any actual legitimate research numbers on women & infant survival rates. I'd be interested to know how many of the babies who survived were born with unnecessary deficits as well.

I have seen things go wrong in a hospital setting where the potential risk of the baby AND mother's death was very real. Hemorrhage, oxygen deprivation & blood pressure issues have to be addressed immediately.

I got an infection in a hospital but it's not keeping me away from one when I need to be there.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am

I guess it depends how far away you are from a good hospital. After staying with my grandma in our town's hospital, my sister said she would sooner risk dying trying to drive to one several miles from here instead. And my mother DID go to another town when she had me and that doctor just about killed her he was so stupid. Me she COULD have had at home and she wouldn't have had any problems because everything that threatened her health for 6 months following my birth was all on the doctors' part.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:21 am

All I know is that there is NO WAY I would ever opt for a home birth. That seems so primitive and medieval. I need the doctors, nurses..............and drugs!
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 am

wants2laugh wrote:

Totally and that's why I'd never agree to a home birth. Hospital is mandatory.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 am

I would prefer hospital birth for safety reasons. Years ago I know a lot of women had their kids at home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:52 am