CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Forgiveness Man
wants2laugh
Bluesmama
Supernova
9 posters

Why would anybody want to become a priest/nun?

Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Why would anybody want to become a priest/nun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why would anybody want to become a priest/nun?

Post by Artemis Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Supernova wrote:

Problem is since they can't talk about people's confessions, you don't know that they don't.

I think they ought to make it once a year, or once a decade, then the list of what you can even remember doing will really make it worth their time.

If I don't know that they don't, how do you know that they do?

as an adult, its completly voluntary.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Why would anybody want to become a priest/nun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why would anybody want to become a priest/nun?

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 pm

And why is it mandatory as a child?
    Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by Artemis Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Its part of a sacrament. From my (not so good) memory, confession & Holy Communion are participated inconjunction.

I recall going to confession as a child, roughly once a year. Once I figured out that I didn't have to launch into a confession, sometimes the priest & I just chatted.'

But you didn't answer: if you say I don't know, how do you know that they thrive on it?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Supernova wrote:And why is it mandatory as a child?
    Because kids pretty much have to do what their parents tell them.

Which is why I was baptized at the age of 12, the age a kid supposedly can make an informed decision. You think I would tell my folks that I had doubts about all their hocus-pocus? blank stare @ you

So, my soul was saved, I was in the Baptist Church. It was just a couple years more that I started skipping Sunday School and became a heathen.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:24 pm

This horse is coughing up blood. Please stop beating it.
    Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by Artemis Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 am

Alan Smithee wrote:This horse is coughing up blood. Please stop beating it.

LOL
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 am

Artemis wrote:Its part of a sacrament. From my (not so good) memory, confession & Holy Communion are participated inconjunction.

I recall going to confession as a child, roughly once a year. Once I figured out that I didn't have to launch into a confession, sometimes the priest & I just chatted.'

But you didn't answer: if you say I don't know, how do you know that they thrive on it?

I don't but I'm guessing any job that has to do with hearing everybody's dirty little secrets has to have some kind of perks to it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:15 am

That is because you do not understand the sacrament of confession/reconciliation. It is called reconciliation because you are asking for forgiveness from God and reconciling your relationship with him. It is supposed to be a weekly thing, as you are not supposed to accept the sacrament of communion without first being granted forgiveness for your sins. When someone pleads guilty in court, they must allocute the actions of their crime. It is the same thing. When you verbally express your sins and ask for forgiveness, you are then taking responsibility for the things that you have done wrong.

Whether YOU believe this is the way it should be or not, this IS the way it is for catholics. If you don't believe it, then never become a catholic.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

wants2laugh wrote:That is because you do not understand the sacrament of confession/reconciliation. It is called reconciliation because you are asking for forgiveness from God and reconciling your relationship with him. It is supposed to be a weekly thing, as you are not supposed to accept the sacrament of communion without first being granted forgiveness for your sins. When someone pleads guilty in court, they must allocute the actions of their crime. It is the same thing. When you verbally express your sins and ask for forgiveness, you are then taking responsibility for the things that you have done wrong.

Whether YOU believe this is the way it should be or not, this IS the way it is for catholics. If you don't believe it, then never become a catholic.

No problem, that's one I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I have a problem with religions that make everything far more complicated than they need to be. I've never been to a church of any kind in my life, never confessed anything to any clergyman, and yet somehow I don't think I'm any lesser to get to Heaven than those who do.
    Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by Artemis Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 pm

No problem, that's one I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I have a problem with religions that make everything far more complicated than they need to be. I've never been to a church of any kind in my life, never confessed anything to any clergyman, and yet somehow I don't think I'm any lesser to get to Heaven than those who do.[/quote]

Interesting, that you've never been to Church but hold such strong views. I, as a non-practicing Catholic hold similar views... after I undertook 12 years of Catholic Education and realised it wasn't for me...

No one is really stating you're less of a chance to get in through the pearly gates, for not going to confession.....
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Supernova wrote:and yet somehow I don't think I'm any lesser to get to Heaven than those who do.

And that is part of YOUR religious beliefs. Just like the necessity of confessing your sins in Confession is a tenet of Catholicism.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Supernova wrote:I've never been to a church of any kind in my life, never confessed anything to any clergyman, and yet somehow I don't think I'm any lesser to get to Heaven than those who do.

Wow... never been to a church? and yet you criticize other people's strong beliefs without truly knowing the meaning or origins of those beliefs? You believe others are wrong and that you will get into heaven just as the faithful will--- but those who follow the teachings of God/Jesus/Yehweh/jehova/Allah etc--- would all tell you that YOU are wrong.

i was raised catholic--- i believe in the things I believe in just as you do--- but I would NEVER tell you that you are wrong for thinking those things--- and that is how it comes across in your posts. Since NONE of us truly know what happens after death, it is all a matter of faith. Shale has his faith in the "truth", which is different from FM, which is different from mine--- but constantly condemning one's religion and faith is disrespectful, especially when you are not educated enough in the faith to condemn it. It is one thing to say "I gravitate more to a protestant faith based on catholics using the crucifix and statues in their teachings, while the bible states that this is idolatry" than to say "priests just want to get juicy tidbits of your confession and being a nun is crazy".

If you are truly interested in LEARNING about a religion and the rituals therein, GREAT! Read up on it, ask questions. There are people on this board who are respectful of others' beliefs without condemning them.

I still love you though bear hug

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 23, 2024 12:05 pm