CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Chris
7 posters

Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?  Empty Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?

Post by Chris Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 pm

How do you feel about private business owners having a right to discriminate against who they choose to hire? Should they be able to?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?  Empty Re: Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Chris wrote:How do you feel about private business owners having a right to discriminate against who they choose to hire? Should they be able to?

That's a tough one. For the most part no and a smart business won't. Generally I think people should be judged on their ability but sometimes your job does depend a great deal on your appearance. Maybe shame on our society if a cocktail bar loses money because they hired waitresses built like Roseanne or Rosie O'Donnell or no one will hire a male stripper built like Chris Farley but I don't think a private business should be mandated to lose money.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?  Empty Re: Should a private business owner be able to discrimate in who he/she hires?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

That's a tough one. For the most part no and a smart business won't. Generally I think people should be judged on their ability but sometimes your job does depend a great deal on your appearance. Maybe shame on our society if a cocktail bar loses money because they hired waitresses built like Roseanne or Rosie O'Donnell or no one will hire a male stripper built like Chris Farley but I don't think a private business should be mandated to lose money.

In that sense.... co-signs

As long as youre not using government funds oor tax breaks....you can pretty much hire who you want.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm

All businesses discriminate to some degree. The question will always be what degree is acceptable enough.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Well if it's a privately funded business, then I suppose so. But if they are in ANY way funded by outside dollars, then no way.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 pm

I struggle with this topic. I feel business owners have the right to select those individuals who will represent their business in the desired manner.

That said, I then think about if it was acceptable, there will be many unfair errors in judgement.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 am

Yes, private businesses should have that right. Just as someone who is refused employment or service on the basis of discrimination has the right to then publicly slander them for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am