CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability? Empty Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability?

Post by Marc™ Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 am

Someone has a medical condition that renders him unable to work for about a week or so at a time, but at a very unpredictable schedule. As a result, he can't find an employer who would be willing to accept this sort of unpredictability.

He would be completely fit and able to work during the weeks that his condition is not surfacing/symptomatic.

Should he be able to collect disability full time? If not, what should he do?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability? Empty Re: Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability?

Post by CeCe Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

The SSA has the disability guidelines set so high I'm surprised anyone qualifies. It's a shame he can't find an employer who is a little more flexible or sympathetic. I don't know what kind of training he has or his experience but if he could find a job he could also do at least some of the work from home that might work for him.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability? Empty Re: Should This Person Be Able to Collect Full Time Disability?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am

There's also an intermittant FMLA leave that you can enact through having your doctor fill out a form for you. That allows you to come and go on an as needed basis for the amounts of time the doc specifies to enable you to deal with whatever health issue you're facing. Sometimes you can't predict when you'll need to take health-related time off, and that covers you.

I had 2 of those going at once a couple of years ago--one for myself so I could call in sick anytime based on how I was feeling while on chemo, and the other for my daughter, so I could leave work/call in on a moment's notice when she was having a very bad period of seizures.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes. If you can't find full time employment because of a health condition, you should get disability. In the meantime, do something with yourself and perhaps find some pick up work here and there. I know that SS check ain't a lot.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I tend to agree with NYStyle. I can't think of a line of business that could be that flexible. Therefore, the person is unemployable. There are a LOT of people less deserving drawing disability (such as one nephew of mine. . . and one day I just may report him).
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

The SSA is the gateway to hell. I wish anyone ever having to deal with them the best of luck. They're gonna need it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 am