CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
Chris
8 posters

'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video)

Post by Chris Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:44 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109858/Marine-gets-15-years-bars-viciously-beating-wife-unconscious-judge.html#ixzz1o6wLHFhq

Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars

- Paul Gonzalez, 29, flew into a rage in judge's chambers in April 2011
    - Left his wife with a broken nose, fractured jaw and concussion
    - Judge branded his actions 'an outrage' and gave him maximum penalty

By Lydia Warren

Last updated at 1:10 AM on 4th March 2012

'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video) Article-2109858-1204A8A3000005DC-584_306x423
    Wife beater: Paul Gonzalez has been sentenced to 15 years in jail for the savage beating of his ex-wife

A former Marine who savagely beat his wife in front of a judge after he was ordered to pay child maintenance at a divorce hearing has received the maximum sentence of 15 years behind bars.

Paul Gonzalez, 29, had to be subdued by a Taser when he flew into a rage at Catherine Scott, who suffered a broken nose, a fractured jaw, concussion and severe bruising to her face.

At the sentencing on Friday, Judge Geoffrey Cohen ignored Gonzalez's apologies, branding his actions in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida hearing 'an outrage'.

'It was in a court of law where people for hundreds of years have been coming to peaceably resolve their disputes where people have an expectation of safety — certainly where your former wife thought she would be safe,' Cohen said.

'You chose it as a place to viciously assault her.'

In February, Gonzalez pleaded 'no contest' to charges of beating his ex-wife in April 2011.

The couple, who married in 2006, had been discussing their divorce when Gonzalez flew into a rage and ran out of the chambers.

He stormed back in, screamed that he was not going to obey orders, grabbed his 23-year-old wife by the neck and began pummeling the side of her face with his closed fists, according to his arrest report.

He knocked her unconscious with the first blow but continued to punch her, and bailiffs had to Taser him twice to subdue him.

Scott, also a former marine, collapsed in a court clerk's arms as a pool of blood slowly formed by the the judge's chair at his chambers.

'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video) Article-2109858-1204A3EB000005DC-695_634x353
    Victim: Catherine Scott, 23, was left with concussion, a broken nose, a fractured jaw and severe bruising

She was rushed to hospital, where she was kept in intensive care overnight while doctors monitored her for brain trauma.

According to authorities, he became angry when Judge Ronald Rothschild ordered him to pay child support for their two young children, then aged one and three.

'I woke up and I didn't know where I was,' Scott said in an interview after the attack. 'I didn't know where I was. I didn't know what was going on. I had just been hit that hard.'

Scott told the court she had been so badly beaten her children were scared of her.

'I couldn’t even go pick up my children from day care because there were complaints I was frightening the other children,' Scott said, CBS reported.

'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video) Article-2109858-1204A3AE000005DC-739_634x331
    In court: Gonzalez apologised to his former wife in court. A psychiatric expert for the defense said he suffers from personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and bi-polar disorder

She added that she remains 'constantly on edge' after the beating and abuse that had been going on for years.

'No matter how long Mr. Gonzalez is contained behind bars, I will never feel safe from him,' she told the court.

She added: 'He advised me that he was going to take the children and that I would never see them again, and that it was his plan to make my life a living hell.'

A psychiatric expert for the defense told the judge Gonzalez suffers from personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and bi-polar disorder.

Gonzalez’s sister added that before the beating she had contemplated having her brother committed because he had threatened to kill himself.

Gonzalez spoke to the judge to admit he had failed, and to apologise to his ex-wife.

'I can't deny that it was me April 15 who took these two hands and put them on my former wife,' he said. 'And I know she said she wouldn't accept any apology, but what can I say? I'm sorry.'

He went on: 'I hurt the woman I said I loved and I am sorry and I hope that one day she does forgive me. I disappointed her. I was not a good husband. I wasn’t a good best friend.

'I destroyed any chance I had of ever doing what it was that I’ve always wanted to do — and that’s be a father, have a family and a loving wife. Be a loving husband.'

Ignoring the defense's plea for the minimum term of four years and three months, Judge Cohen handed Gonzalez a 15-year jail sentence and apologized to Scott.

He asked why a family court judge had denied her a restraining order prior to the beating and why there had not been an armed sheriff’s deputy present during the contentious divorce hearing.

'Under very emotional circumstances the fact that there was no security in place, frankly, is inexcusable,' Judge Cohen said, according to NBC.

But Gonzalez's attorney said he fears his client will not get the help he needs in prison.

'He’s a young man who has some serious mental health illnesses that need to be addressed and by sentencing him to the maximum sentence surely will not help that,' said attorney Dawn Swickle.

Following the attack, Scott's lawyer Michael Dunleavy told the Florida Sun-Sentinel the alleged attack was 'surreal'.

He said: 'He was punching with a true vengeance. It was vicious. He was in a rage.'
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

News Re: 'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video)

Post by Supernova Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

ONLY 15 years?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

News Re: 'Marine who beat wife unconscious in front of judge after being ordered to pay child support at divorce proceeding gets 15 years behind bars' (video)

Post by Shale Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

No, he may not get HIS preferred treatment in jail, (he can get medicated which is about all the treatment psych cases get anyhow) but she will get a few years relief from fearing this crazed animal will attack or perhaps kill her. So what would have been her problem with him not being in a cage has just become his problem. Deal with it.

Maybe he'll manage to follow thru on that suicide threat and make the world a better place.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

How awful sad
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:05 pm

He looks like a psycho.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

I hope hs ex and their children are able to forget all about him.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 am

GODDAMN! He bodied her. That's terrible. I didn't know it got that real over child support.....
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

I'd like to know the rest of the story as to why this guy lost it. Even if he found out his wife screwed around behind his back and he's being made to pay child support for kids that aren' his, that's no excuse. I understand but it's no excuse. As Chris Rock said:

So you gotta look at OJ's situation. He's paying $25,000 a month in alimony, got a another man driving around in his car and fucking his wife in a house he's still paying the mortgage on. Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand.

You know what they say, "There's no reason to ever hit a woman." Shit! There's a reason to hit everybody. You just don't do it. Shit, there's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs. You just don't do it. Ain't nobody above an ass-whooping.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I'd like to know the rest of the story as to why this guy lost it. Even if he found out his wife screwed around behind his back and he's being made to pay child support for kids that aren' his, that's no excuse. I understand but it's no excuse. As Chris Rock said:

Wow!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 am

Alan Smithee wrote:I'd like to know the rest of the story as to why this guy lost it. Even if he found out his wife screwed around behind his back and he's being made to pay child support for kids that aren' his, that's no excuse. I understand but it's no excuse. As Chris Rock said:

Chris is the TRUTH.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

In front of the judge? That dude is raw....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:51 pm