CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

White wedding dresses for virgins only?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

White wedding dresses for virgins only? Empty White wedding dresses for virgins only?

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:04 pm

You know I'd sure love to know where this idea came from and when it sprouted up. My mom firmly believes that that's the only rule there's ever been about white wedding dresses, that it symbolizes purity and that the bride is a virgin. I can't get it through her head that historically speaking white wedding dresses were a status symbol meaning those women had the most money to afford them because they were the fanciest and most expensive, and all other wedding dresses were all other colors, hence all the old sayings 'married in red, better off dead, etc.' Personally I think the white = virgin thing is a stupid idea, and not just because most aren't.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

White wedding dresses for virgins only? Empty Re: White wedding dresses for virgins only?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I think your mom is correct. Years ago white used to be a symbol of purity for a bride. What a joke in today's society.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

White wedding dresses for virgins only? Empty Re: White wedding dresses for virgins only?

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Maybe back in the Victorian age, but long before that it was just a way of showing off your money and you could afford the fanciest dress made.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Well, since I am already online, I went and checked the Web and it is a relatively new construct - started by Queen Victoria. Prior to that any color was good as long as it showed off your social status.

So, the virgin connection is not a very old tradition nor should anyone slam an obvious non-virgin for wearing white.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm

My wedding dress is going to be white. Just because I think it's the best color for a wedding dress. I used to chuckle at women wearing off white or cream dresses because they knew they weren't virgins and they were trying to keep in with the tradition. Who cares, wear what you want.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 am

And that's why if I ever get married it ain't going to be in a dress.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:26 pm