CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
captainbryce
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death

Post by Chris Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:15 am

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-geraldo-rivera-hoodie-trayvon-martin-20120323,0,2656585.story

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 600
    "I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin's death as much as George Zimmerman was," Geraldo Rivera said on "Fox and Friends." (Richard Drew / Associated Press / March 23, 2012)

By Dalina Castellanos

March 23, 2012, 6:25 p.m.

Geraldo Rivera has entered the public discussion about Trayvon Martin’s death by blaming the Florida teenager's choice of dress.

“I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin‘s death as much as George Zimmerman was,” the Fox News host said Friday on “Fox and Friends.”

Martin, 17, was shot and killed Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., by Zimmerman, a 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman was not arrested because police said there was no evidence to contradict his claim that he fired in self-defense.

The teen’s death and the lack of arrest have sparked protests and inspired a “Million Hoodie March” Wednesday in New York. It attracted hundreds of protesters, many of them wearing hoodies.

"As long as [Zimmerman] is outside of the court system, the protests will intensify and spill over into other dimensions," the Rev. Jesse Jackson told The Times Friday.

"His lack of appearance in the court system is a source of embarrassment and humiliation. He needs to face the court," Jackson said.

Still, Rivera chose to focus on another aspect of Martin’s death that he believes could have changed the outcome.

“Trayvon Martin, God bless him, an innocent kid, a wonderful kid, a box of Skittles in his hands. He didn’t deserve to die. But I bet you money, if he didn’t have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn’t have responded in that violent and aggressive way," Rivera said.

Perhaps reacting to Rivera’s comments, at some point someone off camera can be heard saying, “Uh oh.”

Jackson was later reached by Politico and said he preferred not to “dignify” Rivera’s on-air comments.

“It’s a diversion from the pain of a child who should be alive,” Jackson said.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

News Re: Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 am

Don't buy that excuse. What happened was wrong. However, what is pissing me off almost as much as what the watch guy did is what the media and the country is doing in response. They are exploiting this kid's death and it's starting to tick me off.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:27 am

What an ass. His own kids told him to shut up.

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 531422_10150683347925480_744025479_9204245_532458806_n
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Don't buy that excuse. What happened was wrong. However, what is pissing me off almost as much as what the watch guy did is what the media and the country is doing in response. They are exploiting this kid's death and it's starting to tick me off.
    You know what pisses me off? The fact that Trayvon's death got ZERO attention from the media until the people spoke out and voiced their concerns about it through social media. If Trayvon was white, this incident would have been covered from day ONE. The fact that it took the media this long to even report it sickens me. So if it was really about them "exploiting" the situation, why didn't' they do so from day one?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:08 pm

If this kid was white, nobody would've cared. If anything, we'd have these same people fighting for the killer's rights. I don't think 90% of those raising a stink about what happened give one damn about getting justice for this kid.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:09 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/geraldo-rivera-son-ashamed-father-remarks-trayvon-martin-hoodie-article-1.1050268?localLinksEnabled=false
    Geraldo Rivera’s son: I’m ‘ashamed’ of my father’s remarks about Trayvon Martin and his hoodie

Rivera created a firestorm earlier this week when he argued the hoodie the unarmed teen chose to wear when he was killed in Florida was as much to blame for his death as the man that shot him.

Even Geraldo Rivera's son is disappointed in his father's controversial remarks about Trayvon Martin.

"My own son just wrote to say he's ashamed of my position," the Fox News contributor tweeted on Friday.

Rivera created a firestorm earlier this week when he argued the hoodie the unarmed teen chose to wear when he was killed in Florida was as much to blame for his death as the man that shot him.

Despite his own family's harsh criticism, Rivera refused to budge on his position, adding on Twitter "Still I feel parents must do whatever they can to keep their kids safe."

Rivera elaborated on his 32-year-old son's shame to Politico.

"Gabriel broke my heart…He just told me for the first time in his life he's ashamed," he told the political website, adding his son believed he had "gone viral for all the wrong reasons."

Rivera said he wrote Gabriel back and tried to explain his position that "every hoodie should come with a warning like cigarettes, 'caution wearing this could get you killed.'"

Martin, 17, was shot and killed Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla. He was returning home from a trip to a convenience store when neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman started following the teen, telling police dispatchers that he looked suspicious.

Zimmerman claimed he fired in self-defense after Martin jumped him. He has not been charged and has kept out of the public eye since the incident.

Rivera declared on Fox & Friends that he'd bet money that "if didn't have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn't have responded in that violent and aggressive way."

He added he has previously warned his own children against wandering around the streets wearing hoodies, "particularly a dark-skinned kid like my son Cruz."

He later argued in a post on Fox News Latino, "If you dress like a hoodlum eventually some schmuck is going to take you at your word."

The television personality even took a shot a President Obama, who said Friday the nation needs to do some "soul searching" over the tragic shooting, which has sparked nationwide furor over race and justice. The commander-in-chief said "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

Rivera tweeted that Obama should also add that he "would never let his son walk around DC in a hoodie."
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:If this kid was white, nobody would've cared. If anything, we'd have these same people fighting for the killer's rights. I don't think 90% of those raising a stink about what happened give one damn about getting justice for this kid.
    If a 28 year old man had followed and subsequently shot to death a 17 year old, 140lb white kid carrying skittles, the guy would have been arrested, jailed, charged with murder and eventually convicted. It would be all over the news from day one, white America would be outraged, you'd have a trial that would last for one day and then we'd take the guys head off! Nobody cared that Trayvon died until people from his community spread the word about it through social media. That's what black folks have to do to get noticed (even in death).

A white kid wearing a hoodie in the rain is "cold", while a black kid doing exactly the same thing is "suspicious". Welcome to the real world!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:16 pm

captainbryce wrote: If a 28 year old man had followed and subsequently shot to death a 17 year old, 140lb white kid carrying skittles, the guy would have been arrested, jailed, charged with murder and eventually convicted. It would be all over the news from day one, white America would be outraged, you'd have a trial that would last for one day and then we'd take the guys head off! Nobody cared that Trayvon died until people from his community spread the word about it through social media. That's what black folks have to do to get noticed (even in death).

A white kid wearing a hoodie in the rain is "cold", while a black kid doing exactly the same thing is "suspicious". Welcome to the real world!
    co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Funny how liberal Rivera is getting flack for daring to go against the herd of his cultish belief system. lol Geraldo needs to get out while he still can. I do think the guy made a dumb comment with the hoodie thing. If I were a hoodie manufacturer, I'd definitely have a thing or two to say to him! But again, I think more is being made of it because of the greater politics at play than there otherwise would be.

And yeah right. If a white kid were shot to death by a neighborhood watch guy, it'd be a footnote on a news ticker and at best a 20/20 special. White America wouldn't be outraged cause they've been conditioned by a biased media to not care about those things. If the death can't be used by the media to forward a greater agenda, they don't care. This death fits their agenda and so they exploit it. It seems like in the end, this kid is getting lost in the shuffle of the outrage over his own murder.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:If a white kid were shot to death by a neighborhood watch guy, it'd be a footnote on a news ticker and at best a 20/20 special. White America wouldn't be outraged cause they've been conditioned by a biased media to not care about those things.
    You obviously don't live in the real world. Perhaps you come from Bizzaro world where everything opposite of reality. But in this world, black deaths don't make the news unless the issue is forced for weeks (ie: Trayvon Martin). You're right about the media though. They are biased and conditioned to think that nobody cares when black people die. That's why they don't report things like this until they're forced to.

I think it's funny how everything amounts to some unnamded "agenda" with you.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Shale wrote:
    co-signs
    Me too co sign I mean.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:43 pm

No, I'm the one who actually DOES live in the real world of TODAY. The media loves reporting on anything they can spin into being a "hate crime." They weren't forced to report on this. They reported on it because they can exploit this tragedy. They didn't need to be forced. The media is loving the chance to report this. And plenty of people are loving the opportunity to be outraged. This kid's name is gonna be batted around for awhile but I see little evidence that people really give a damn about HIM.

Everything amounts to an unnamed agenda with ME? lol Says the guy going on about some media coverup. Everything amounts to some agenda for everybody and everything.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:No, I'm the one who actually DOES live in the real world of TODAY. The media loves reporting on anything they can spin into being a "hate crime." They weren't forced to report on this.
    Yes they were. Because it was "news" on social media by black parents who were enraged at this injustice before it became news on TV. You've probably never heard the name Trayvon Martin before last week.

Forgiveness Man wrote:The media is loving the chance to report this.
    Yeah, NOW that they know more than just black people care about this of course they are. But at first, they didn't give a shit!

Forgiveness Man wrote:And plenty of people are loving the opportunity to be outraged.
    That doesn't even make any sense.

Forgiveness Man wrote:Everything amounts to an unnamed agenda with ME? lol Says the guy going on about some media coverup. Everything amounts to some agenda for everybody and everything.
    Nope, it's YOU. You're the only one who brings politics into EVERY issue (whether it's political or not) and you're the only one who thinks that EVERYONE has an agenda whether it be the "gay agenda" or the "liberal agenda" or the "media's agenda" or any of these other made up, nondescript, and undefinable agendas you're always talking about. I never mentioned a "media coverup" so I don't know where you're coming from on that one.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Yeah when they're white you never even hear about it. Damn media.

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 040715_chandra_levy_vmed.grid-4x2

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death Ht_lauren_spierer_missing_jp_110606_wg

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 220px-Natalee_Holloway_yearbook_photo

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death Eve_Carson

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 220px-Jonbenet-ramsey

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death 6686157_1032900555

Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie responsible for Trayvon Martin's death Jessica-Marie-Lunsford(2)200

In contrast here is a web page dedicated to names we never heard & faces we never saw. Four kids were missing at the same time as the Jon Benet Ramsey case but you would have never known it.

Forgotten Victims http://missingblackkids.webs.com/
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm

captainbryce wrote: But in this world, black deaths don't make the news unless the issue is forced for weeks (ie: Trayvon Martin). You're right about the media though. They are biased and conditioned to think that nobody cares when black people die. That's why they don't report things like this until they're forced to.

co-signs
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Digging a little deeper, I get where he was coming from....it just didn't come out right on his end. We live in a crazy, fucked up world where how you look and dress will determine how people react to you. A kid shouldn't have to die because he wore a hoodie and there's no justification for it, but at the same time....for your own precautionary safety....you still need to mindful of how you present yourself and where and in front of who. Not everyone is rational.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 pm

I love how the media is now labeling the shooter a "white hispanic." Guess the evidence that the shooting was race-based was growing weaker and weaker so the media is trying to fudge things in their direction.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I love how the media is now labeling the shooter a "white hispanic." Guess the evidence that the shooting was race-based was growing weaker and weaker so the media is trying to fudge things in their direction.
    The media is not "labeling" him white hispanic, HE IS WHITE HISPANIC! He was erroneously though to be just "white" at first until it was brought up that he was also half hispanic. Not sure how that fact "fudges" anything in any direction.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm

captainbryce wrote: The media is not "labeling" him white hispanic, HE IS WHITE HISPANIC! He was erroneously though to be just "white" at first until it was brought up that he was also half hispanic. Not sure how that fact "fudges" anything in any direction.

IDK why they keep bringing up the Hispanic as opposed to being white. There are white and black Hispanics and racism among white Hispanics is quite often no less than that among non-Hispanic whites.

I lived in Hialeah in the '70s, which was predominantly white Cuban. In fact the majority of Cubans in S. Florida are white. (Look at pics of current Havana - mostly blacks were left on the island in 1959). My black friend experienced overt racism from Cubanos in the 1970s when Jim and I were going to let her take over our apartment. She was not allowed because of her race.

So, trying to ameliorate racism by claiming to be Hispanic is not gonna cut it.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm

This just in---STUPIDITY responsible for Geraldo Rivera's ignorance.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

Shale wrote:IDK why they keep bringing up the Hispanic as opposed to being white. There are white and black Hispanics and racism among white Hispanics is quite often no less than that among non-Hispanic whites.

So, trying to ameliorate racism by claiming to be Hispanic is not gonna cut it.
    Even though there is so much ignorance involved in what is happening with this case, I actually understand everything perfectly. Everything is so transparent to me, it's almost disappointing that I can see the world for what it truly is!

George Zimmerman's race is really irrelevant other than the fact that he was NOT black. As long as he is not black, it legitimizes the prosecutions case (if there ever is one) that his crime could have been racially motivated and as such a hate crime. Other than that, mentioning his race is really pointless because whether or not George Zimmerman is a racist or not isn't even the real issue. The issue is, why haven't the cops arrested him? The fact that an unarmed black kid was shot to death and NOBODY has been arrested is what brings race into the discussion. As everyone except apparently one person on here knows, if this had been a white kid with skittles, the cops would have somebody in custody.

But Florida has this ridiculous law that essentially allows you to "duel" with somebody and not be charged with a crime. And because the authorities have refused to charge Zimmerman with anything (despite the fact that Zimmerman followed him against the dispatchers instructions, witnesses heard Trayvon screaming for help, his girlfriend was on the phone with him at the time, and Trayvon was unarmed while Zimmerman was packing) that is now leading to a federal investigation. The tricky part is, the feds are only allowed to intervene IF it involves a case of "civil rights", which is why they have to prove that this was a hate crime first. If they can't prove that it's a hate crime, then they have no authority to intervene and the decision to prosecute rests with the state.

The news realizes this and is constantly harping on George Zimmerman's ethnicity believing it to be significant in two ways. Firstly, they realized they fucked up earlier when they were claiming he was just "white". Everyone who saw a picture of him though that he looked Hispanic and questioned it. Then they learn after the fact that he was actually Hispanic, so now they are overcompensating by constantly reminding you that, yes he is part Hispanic too. Secondly, adding into the mix that he can also be considered a "minority", it adds fuel to the fire of those rushing to his defense under the false assumption that there is no way a "Hispanic" person could be racist towards an "African American" person (because only white people are racist). As ridiculous as that is, there are people who really believe that and I'm sure that Fox News and company are trying to subliminally feed that garbage into their viewers in an attempt to paint Zimmerman as an "innocent victim" who just got caught up in a bad situation.

This is basically just a big ole hot mess!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:31 am

Wonder how much influence Zimmerman's father might have in this since he is a retired magistrate judge?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 pm

captainbryce wrote: ... adding into the mix that he can also be considered a "minority", it adds fuel to the fire of those rushing to his defense under the false assumption that there is no way a "Hispanic" person could be racist towards an "African American" person (because only white people are racist). As ridiculous as that is, there are people who really believe that and I'm sure that Fox News and company are trying to subliminally feed that garbage into their viewers in an attempt to paint Zimmerman as an "innocent victim" who just got caught up in a bad situation.

This is basically just a big ole hot mess!

Someone on another discussion board pointed out that when you take a young black man from Miami, his experience with Hispanics likely would be as gang related and that Trayvon could have been quite fearful that he was being approached/pursued by a latino gang member.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:25 pm