CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CeCe
tmontyb
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
9 posters

Lawsuit filed by model and blogger who walked into that plane propeller

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

News Lawsuit filed by model and blogger who walked into that plane propeller

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Lauren Scruggs, the model who lost a hand and an eye when she walked into a spinning plane propeller, has reportedly rejected a $200,000 settlement and is suing the plane’s insurance company for an unspecified amount.

The 23-year-old model and fashion blogger from Plano, Texas, has filed court documents in Dallas suing the company insuring the plane owned by defendants Shell Aviation and Michael Shell and piloted by Curt Richmond. On Dec. 3, 2011, Scruggs ended up losing her left eye and had her left hand severed by a spinning propeller when she walked into it after exiting the plane under darkness following a flight to view Christmas lights in the Dallas area.

In her claim, which was first reported by TMZ.com, she states that the insurance company, Aggressive Insurance Services, “verbally offered’’ to pay her $200,000 for the accident. The company claims that it has a maximum limit of $1 million total coverage for each plane, including a $100,000 sublimit for each passenger. Since Richmond was covered by an extra policy extending to other planes he flies, the company offered a $200,000 payout from the combination of the two policies, saying it was the maximum.

However, in court documents, Scruggs disputes her status as a “passenger’’ in the eyes of the insurance company. The policies define a “passenger” as “any person, other than the pilot, who is in the aircraft or getting in or out of it," according to her complaint. Scruggs claims she was not a passenger because “she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident.’’

According to her complaint, Scruggs said “she had completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for the court to define whether she was a “passenger’’ or not under the insurance company guidelines. If she is not found to have been a passenger, she can presumably reap a higher payout for the accident.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

News Re: Lawsuit filed by model and blogger who walked into that plane propeller

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 pm

What do you guys think about this? I think she is stretching the definition of a non-passenger. It is very tragic what happened to her but she is the one who walked into it after successfully exiting the plane.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: Lawsuit filed by model and blogger who walked into that plane propeller

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm

IDK. Not enough facts for me to make an informed opinion although she walked into the prop.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Motherfuckers always trying to get more money. I honestly hope she doesn't get shit now. Should've taken the 200k.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Motherfuckers always trying to get more money. I honestly hope she doesn't get shit now. Should've taken the 200k.

Ok, cause I thought it was just me, LOL! I'm reading this and I'm thinking, "but YOU walked into to propeller, take the damn money and go!"

I feel bad for her, but there is a limit.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

ok I was avoiding posting because I didn't want to appear insensitive. I'm far from it but while I still feel for her, she should have known better. Haven't been on a plane & even I know when you leave the plane you keep walking. It really is common sense. I hope she will be able to have a good life but what happened was her own fault. She should be thankful she's even alive. The $200,000 offer was more than generous.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

And guess what else. If this goes to trial she is going to be faced with pissed off jurors who are being inconvenienced, perhaps for weeks for her money grab.

I was such a juror who finally got released after a wasted week. The ones chosen ruled against the plaintiff after a 3-week trial. Woman had the audacity to sue tobacco companies for her health problems from smoking. IT WAS HER CHOICE TO SMOKE. She got no sympathy from the inconvenienced jurors. Had I been chosen I would have found the same way.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:29 am

As a former smoker (3 packs a day so I was a power smoker) I completely get the addictive nature. I still have the urge especially when under stress. I want to now. But it's still a choice. The cigarettes don't jump out of the case & force themselves into your mouth. People have to have some degree of common sense & personal responsibility. Everything that happens to us isn't always the fault of someone else. This girl had a lapse in judgement but that's not the pilot's or the airlines fault. It was a stupid mistake SHE made.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 am

CeCe wrote:As a former smoker ...

I too, as well as several other potential jurors in that case were former smokers. We know the difficulty and lifelong longing faced by this woman - but we stopped because we knew the risks outweighed the benefits of that habit. Thus no sympathy for her med problems, which she caused for herself.

I'm sure somewhere some plaque-clogged-artery fatty has tried to sue McD or some other fat food place but ultimately they put that stuff into their body, not the restaurant supplying it. Ppl in our litigious society need to take responsibility for their own actions. It ain't always the other guy's fault.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

CeCe wrote:As a former smoker (3 packs a day so I was a power smoker)

Lawsuit filed by model and blogger who walked into that plane propeller Cat-shock

Damn girl!!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am

I remember seeing this on the news when it happened. I agree that she was indeed a passenger on the plane and she exited and walked into the propeller so I think its basically her fault. However as a victim of an accident where I was injured that I did not cause myself and I could not sue the suckers, I hope she gets all that she can!!! big grin
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am

Yesterday, I heard on the news she reached an undisclosed settlement. So it must be over $200K but less than what she hoped for.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 pm

I feel bad for her, but I would have taken what was offered. Holding out for more money (especially when you played a significant role in your accident) might get you none.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:24 am