CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Low Fat Milk

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Food Low Fat Milk

Post by Shale Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I have been drinking 2% low fat milk for decades and it tasted OK to me, better than whole milk, which left a greasy feeling in my mouth. Never cared for the 1% which was like water.

However, this week I measured and found that I go thru a gallon of milk in three days. At 2%, which is 38% less fat than whole milk, that is still 62% of the fat. Which is still making it difficult to keep the fat off my gut.

So, I am now one week into my next change of diet. If I cannot enjoy a little fat, then why not get rid of it all.

I have already gone thru two gallons of Fat Free Skim Milk. To make it a little more palatable, I put about a third cup of powdered non-fat dry milk in the gallon of skim milk to thicken it a bit and I am now used to this new medium for my cereal and Oreos.

I figured that I go thru five cups of milk a day which would have been an intake of 25 grams of total fat or 40% of my daily recommended amount. Saturated fat that I no longer consumed would have been 15 grams or 75% of my daily take. I also cut out 100 mg of cholesterol or 35% of my daily allotment.

I hope to see results in a few weeks, in the form of my layer of belly fat being easier to maintain. Also it would be nice to see my cholesterol get lower, which for the past four years has been above 200 mg/dl. From 1987 to 2003 it averaged 181 but did have a good HDL/LDL ratio.

If you care to read my whole dietary history it is here:

http://www.conversationchamber.com/t17631-my-low-fat-diet#196879
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Food Re: Low Fat Milk

Post by Chris Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:06 am

I drink 2%. Low fat milk is just too thin. My wife drinks it and on occasion when I run out of my own milk and am forced to drink hers, it's a quasi-depressing scenario. I don't know how anyone can stand it with cereal.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:13 am

Chris wrote:I drink 2%. Low fat milk is just too thin. My wife drinks it and on occasion when I run out of my own milk and am forced to drink hers, it's a quasi-depressing scenario. I don't know how anyone can stand it with cereal.
    Putting in the little extra powdered milk makes it more palatable.

Every day for work I have been eating low fat yogurt. Tomorrow (and all this week) I will be eating fat free. Hope I can stand it. Besides the fat, I am trying to cut down on my cholesterol to see if the numbers will get below 200.

I guess I have reached a new point in seeing food as a necessity instead of a pleasure.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Today I just finished my Fat Free yogurt for lunch and it really wasn't any different than the Low Fat yogurt I usually had.

It's just 2.5 grams less fat and 15 mg less cholesterol than I normally would have. Not much but with the 25 grams of daily fat and 100 mg of cholesterol I have cut out of my diet, it should add up.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I drink low fat milk I hate anything fat free.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I freeze milk for use during the week before I go grocery shopping. You can't freeze whole milk the fat separates and floats out in globs in the glass. So I use 2% while the Mr uses 1% lactose free. When the milk it defrosted all I have to do is give it a good shake and it is good to go.

I used to have a nice downright skinny bod, and ate anything I wanted, Then after the kids left home I gained a bit of weight, but ran it off at work. After 50 I put on even more weight, and at this point I don't care. I still eat what I want and so I am fat and happy.Apparently I don't look as heavy as I am since I mentioned fat to my Dr and he said "Oh you aren't fat". I also wear my clothes about 1 size too large, never wear t-shirts or any tight clothes. It was a habit I got into as a young woman because I have never been able to stand anything tight around my waist, I also learned if you want to hide a figure flaw don't wear tight clothes.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Reduced fat is always preferred, but I can't stand fat free.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:21 pm