CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Hyacinth Girl
Supernova
6 posters

What would you do if your daughter did this?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What would you do if your daughter did this? Empty What would you do if your daughter did this?

Post by Supernova Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

My mother would NEVER have allowed me to do this as a kid, but I read in Katharine Hepburn's autobiography that in the summers as a child she would cut all her hair off, and they had a picture, she got it cropped almost bald, and she would only go by a boy's name during that time. And apparently her parents allowed it, because she did it every summer until she was a teenager. Considering that would've been the 1910s I'm actually surprised she was able to get away with it, but then again her parents were VERY open minded even by today's standards, which I think really says something. But if your daughter suddenly buzz cut all her hair off and only answered to a boy's name, what would your response be?
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

What would you do if your daughter did this? Empty Re: What would you do if your daughter did this?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm

I'd discourage her, only on the boy's name part. As her mother, I gave her the name she has for a reason, and that is how I will acknowledge her. There are plenty of other ways to "find yourself".

The hair, it grows back, do what you want. My daughter recently donated 10 inches of hers to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program that makes wigs for cancer victims, so I was very proud of her for that.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What would you do if your daughter did this? Empty Re: What would you do if your daughter did this?

Post by Shale Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Have to study all cultural ideas of Hepburn's childhood. Many things that we think quite odd may have been allowed. Like my grandfather in a family foto around the turn of the century WEARING A DRESS! Shocked Up to a certain age, little boys wore dresses.

So, 'tomboy' may have been quite acceptable for a girl and taken literally.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I feel the same as Hgirl. I would allow the hairstyle change but I would never call my child by another name.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Assuming she was still under age, my wife would probably let her get her hair cut shorter but not that short. And if she only answered to a boy's name? Just to be contrary? Daddy wouldn't play that game.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 pm

I would flirt with the idea of taking her to a therapist but I would not cave into calling her by another name. I'm the parent, she's the child....she doesn't run shit. Depending on how old she is, if she wants to run around with a bald head....hey, more power to her. Amber Rose pulls it off.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Maybe it's just me but I don't see what the big deal is about the name change. In Katharine's case obviously it was just a seasonal thing, some kind of yearly phase or something, and she outgrew it, and I'd think any other kid probably would too. I remember when I was a kid hating my own name so maybe that's why it wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:55 am