CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

What's your take on this job situation topic?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What's your take on this job situation topic? Empty What's your take on this job situation topic?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:03 am

Ok, here is the situation.

A guy almost 50 is a supervisor at a place that makes paper products. He gets into a non-life-threatening car accident and hurts his back pretty bad.

He has residual pain, now limiting his work ability. He is non-union. It is unclear if this back pain is lifetime, but so far, it's been months. He has worked for this place just shy of ten years.

Is he at risk of losing his job?

My guy and I had the biggest debate about this the other night. My standpoint is he will eventually lose his job if the pain continues to hamper his ability to lift.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

What's your take on this job situation topic? Empty Re: What's your take on this job situation topic?

Post by Cheaps Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 am

Unfortunately, you may be correct, if they are unable to move him to a different dept where lifting isn't essential to the job.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

What's your take on this job situation topic? Empty Re: What's your take on this job situation topic?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 am

If this is a non-job related injury, you may be right. Most states allow "at will" employment which means that employers can fire employees for almost any reason.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 pm

He might, prob. will and because he has no union and therefore no backing, it would be easier for the company to do so.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Cheaps wrote:Unfortunately, you may be correct, if they are unable to move him to a different dept where lifting isn't essential to the job.

That's what I was thinking too.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm really glad you guys see what I was getting at. Not sure at all why my guy was really defending his stance on the fact that the guy will have job security after all this. It's too bad too because this particular family has been through some shit in the last five years and his wife is a notorious job hopper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:01 pm