CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Forgiveness Man
wants2laugh
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Shale
Tony Marino
Marc™
11 posters

Being Pressured to Go to Church

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Religion Being Pressured to Go to Church

Post by Marc™ Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Does anybody ever try to pressure you to go with them to church? My mother wants me to go with her on Mother's Day....she was all "this can be your gift to me and it won't cost you a thing." I'm like, "I'll just buy you something."

I hate being roped into going to church.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Religion Re: Being Pressured to Go to Church

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Marc™ wrote:Does anybody ever try to pressure you to go with them to church? My mother wants me to go with her on Mother's Day....she was "this can be your gift to me and it won't cost you a thing." I'm like, "I'll just buy you something."

I hate being roped into going to church.

Going to Catholic School for 8 years I was always pressured into going to church every week. After I got out of CS I didn't go to church for awhile and my Mama used to scold me for it.

These days I am thinking about going to church on my own again on Sundays, I have really fell off the track.

I would go with your mother, its only one time and its what she wants on her special day. I wish my Mama were alive to ask me to go to church with her, I would go in a heartbeat.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed May 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Not since I left home as a teenager has anyone even suggested I go to church.

Especially since I consider all religions to be the bane of humanity.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

No way. I'll sit in a church for a wedding, christening, funeral etc., but I'm not going there to make someone else happy. If it was something I believed in I would already be there to make me happy.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Hmmm.....nope.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

i would go with my mom in the situation you spoke of... but I have my own beliefs. I too went thru catholic school, and later i questioned all of the beliefs that were forced down my throat.

I think that it is important for children to be taught about religion. Too many people today have no clue what they are... or even what their indoctrinated religion believes. My nephews wife said, "i dont know what religion we were when i was growing up" REALLY?? ur 26, dont u think someone should tell you??? LOL

i do however, that once a person reaches adulthood, they should be able to make up their own minds about the subject. This is one of the reasons that i believe a "religion" class should be taught in high school. Not for ONE religion, but designed to educate the kid on what various religions believe, how they function, and how they are structured.

We are supposed to be providing kids with information for the to prepare for their future and make informed decision about that future. Why would we NOT educate them on this????

creat a class that includes catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim, buddhist etc doctrines and rituals... from purely an analytical stand point... NOT a conversion type of standpoint... or "this is correct" standpoint
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm

I don't need to pressured to go to Church. What I hate is being pressured to conform to the ways of the world. Smile
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu May 10, 2012 6:14 pm

I'll only go if some kind of "event" were being held at one. Otherwise I can't be persuaded.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 am

I look forward to the door knocking season. That time of year when folks from the Kingdom Halls and the Temple of Magic Underwear come to proselytize others in the comfort of our own homes.
    My wife tells me I am being mean and horrible to those people. I like to think I am just being an entertaining host when I invite them in for a chat and a cup of coffee.
    My favorite conversation always include a liberal use of "Why?" when they tell me how wonderful their god is. I always get such a warm fuzzy feeling when out time together ends.
    I do believe I need to improve on my social intercourse skills as they rarely if ever come back to play.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 am

I just tell them I'm a Druid.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue May 15, 2012 8:34 am

Alan Smithee wrote:I just tell them I'm a Druid.

ROFLMAO! I need to come up with something innovative for the JW's. They're harder to get rid of. All I gotta do with the born agains is show them my tats.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 am

CeCe wrote: ... All I gotta do with the born agains is show them my tats.

U misspelled 'tits.'

(If only I was a girl)
    blank stare @ you
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue May 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I just greet them at the door with "I'm not interested", if they keep talking I close the door.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

well funny story about "door knowckers".

My sister always talks to the Mormons... they are usually young men 18-22 around her sons' ages and i think its the maternal trait in her.... and she always invites them in and talks about faith and family etc. So one day, 2 men come to the house, see her son's car and the other one's bike and start asking quesitons about the family--- how many kids---ages etc. she invited them in for soda and coffee, and they continued to discuss the children. Then they started inquiring about her husband-- too specifically. she became upset and questioned them. One man stood and said, "Ma'am, we're the FBI, who did you think we were?"
    She started screaming and yelling that they did not identify themselves and she thought they were her "mormon friends". LOL it turned out that a customer in her husband's business was running some kind of supplies/money/support to the IRA... and they were coming to interrogate my BIL. when they finally did get a hole of my BIL and brought him in for the discussion, they forgot wabout heir original investigation and questioned WHY my sis thought they were mormons, how were the mormons involved with my sister, and was she playing some sort of mental games with them>>> it was hysterical! lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:47 am