CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Bluesmama
wants2laugh
RedBedroom
7 posters

Do you agree with this fine for a minor?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Do you agree with this fine for a minor? Empty Do you agree with this fine for a minor?

Post by RedBedroom Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 pm

So, this will read like a part two to my other rant about my son and his friends. But I really want to know what others think about this.

My son was not present for this, but three of his friends vandalized walls at a business. They were caught on security camera.

Terribly stupid thing to do...not sure if my son would have taken part or not had he been there. He would have been there if he didn't have something else going on that day.

Anyway, the three boys each got $800 fines. I know this for a fact because I spoke to one of the parents and my son saw one of the tickets.

Personally, I think that $800 is steep. I think they should be held for all costs for the restoration, but the costs will not come close to $800 X 3.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Do you agree with this fine for a minor? Empty Re: Do you agree with this fine for a minor?

Post by wants2laugh Sat May 19, 2012 10:42 pm

personally im against the concepts of fines for kids. who winds up paying them?? the parents!! the kids then do not learn anything, and let's face it, SOME parents today at not good disciplinarians and let the kdis get away with anything.

if i was the business owner, i would have worked out deals so that the kids had to clean up the mess themselves. whether that means repainting (which the parents could pay for the paint), or scrubbing the grafitti, or gardening the landscape... SOMETHING physical that the kids do themselves--- taking the time from their friends/play to actually make amends.

just my opinion.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Do you agree with this fine for a minor? Empty Re: Do you agree with this fine for a minor?

Post by Bluesmama Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Was the vandalism 'graffitti" or something else? If it was graffitti then, as the judge, I would fine them a lot less ~ but they would also have to remove every trace of the markings. If it was destruction or something else. . . Cost to replace and perhaps some labor.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 pm

There has to be some way to involve the parent(s). For them to say "I have tried" seems like responsibility avoidance. $800 might be out of line, the court should have then included a "work" program so the kids could perform labor and their "earnings" go to pay the fine. Let them see what it is like to be financially responsible
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am

zthatzmanz28 wrote:There has to be some way to involve the parent(s). For them to say "I have tried" seems like responsibility avoidance. $800 might be out of line, the court should have then included a "work" program so the kids could perform labor and their "earnings" go to pay the fine. Let them see what it is like to be financially responsible

From what my son told me, when he hears of kids getting fines, they are able to work some of it off. In this instance they are not able to.

The violation was marker on bathroom stalls. The cameras saw them coming out and two of the three drew their names...duh. The third drew a penis..genius.

I fully agree parents should have to fork over some money because that makes them hard on the kids if they would otherwise, "give a shit." That is the case with V and his dad.

I just can't agree on the fine being so steep. It may have to do with the fact it did take man hours to take the names to the local Jr. High and compare the surveillance tape to see which kids it was.

I am so glad we are not in the mix of this.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 20, 2012 1:01 pm

$800 is steep. They must be desperate for cash or something. I would find out how much a fine would cost in general for an offense like that. Fines, like laws, are on the books. If it's more than what it should be or more than what is normally charged, somebody is not going to be happy. And that somebody wouldn't be me or my kid.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Graffiti

The legal term for graffiti/tagging vandalism is Graffiti. Graffiti is defined by Wisconsin Criminal law as intentionally writing, marking, or etching onto the property of another without their consent. In most circumstances, this offense is charged as a Class A misdemeanor and carries a potential sentence of 9 months in jail and $10,000 in fines.

If the property is a highway, state property, owned by a juror, or if the damage is valued at more than $2,500 you could face Class I felony charges. A class I felony carries a potential 3 ½ years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

Ref: Wisconsin Criminal Code §943.017

http://www.criminalpropertydamage.com/wisconsin/
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Dah well. Guess they gotta pay it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun May 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Someone on here did make a point about the parents getting "stuck" paying the fines (Wantstolaugh?), and I agree.

I would give my child a good beating first and then make him/her do restitution before the fine is paid.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sun May 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I have an idea... cane the little brats!!! in 1994 michael fay got caned.. the most he ever did in the US was get convicted of a pt possession charge and was fined $500... he went into rehab and recovered supposedly

SO BRING THE CANE to the US!!! LOL

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun May 20, 2012 5:35 pm

wants2laugh wrote:...SO BRING THE CANE to the US!!! LOL

Ratan vines grow in Mississippi, and altho I was never caned, my aunt made me go get a switch so she could wear out my legs. (And you were not to bring a tiny switch or she would have gone and got one to her liking). Belts were the cane of choice for most city folks and my mom used that on me a few times.

While I did see a real leather 'razor strop' hanging on the bathroom door when I was a kid, never had one used on me like my dad or grandad in Mississippi. Those had to hurt as much as a cane.

IDK if such corporal punishment works or not - and I don't think the do-gooders have data to support conclusively that it did not.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm

i think if anything... the THREAT of the corporal punishment instilled fear AND respect. kids did not mouth off as much, and had more respect for elders/ other's property.

it was your generation in the 60s that created teh free for all.--- take what you want, rage against authority... see shale!! these little brats vandalized property and its YOUR fault... not their parents'!! So maybe we should send you the fine!!! lol
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 am

Not me. I'm still worried that my nephew (Who is now much bigger and stronger than me) will hold a grudge about that smack on the butt when he was 8 and wouldn't do as he was told.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Mon May 21, 2012 1:07 am

as for the bamboo... i have that shit in my yard... and it grows FAST and is strong as hell--- grew thru chemicals, sand, rocks, and my pool liner --- in two days it went from not there to being 6ft tall!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:56 am