CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
wants2laugh
6 posters

4 Supernova: A confession thread

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

4 Supernova:  A confession thread Empty 4 Supernova: A confession thread

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm

ok Supernova... you asked the question about why only catholics go to confession.

NOT only catholics confess. There are some protestant religions that require you to confess in front of the whole congregation, because in their doctrine you have sinned not only agains GOD but also the church. The most important thing to remember about confession is that the confession is NOT the important thing--- it is the repenting for your sins and the forgiveness being granted to you for those sins. JAMES 5:16 says to confess your sins to one another-- each religion has their own interpretation as to how this should be done-- the catholics choose a priest, but the priest hears you then prays to God WITH you to ask God for your forgiveness-- the priest then grants you absolution (the sin you committed is now abolished as if it never happened, not to be held against you at a later date, like judgement day)

Methodists do a Congregational Confession, in which the entire group recites the following prayer during service... they do not "confess" each individual sin as catholics do, but a "generalized" confession of "im sorry, i was bad" type of thing. However, some methodist ministers online state that while giving spiritual cousel to people, many DO confess directly to them--- it is just not a sacrement/requirement as it is with the catholics.

Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You in thought, word and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved You with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry, and we humbly repent. For the sake of Your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us, that we may delight in Your will, and walk in Your ways, to the glory of Your name. Amen

some religions specifically state that you confess a sin to either GOD or someone else. For example, if you lusted after someone you would confess to God right there and then because there was no impact upon the person you wanted--- however, if you lusted for someone and then stole something of theirs as a token, then you need to confess to BOTH God and the person.

Hope this helps you....
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

4 Supernova:  A confession thread Empty Re: 4 Supernova: A confession thread

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Well I still find the whole thing ridiculous. God already knows what you've done when you do it and He knows what you've done before you even do it, He don't need the whole church or even a priest to hear it to get the word back to Him.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri May 25, 2012 8:35 pm

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Supernova wrote:Well I still find the whole thing ridiculous. God already knows what you've done when you do it and He knows what you've done before you even do it, He don't need the whole church or even a priest to hear it to get the word back to Him.

Its NOT about whether God knows what you did=== it is about owning up and taking responsibility for the "crime". In court, when you plead guilty you must allocute your crime... even though everyone already knows who you are, what you did, and who you did it to.

When you actually SAY your "crimes" out loud--- you accept responsibility for it and own up to it. The whole idea of confession (whether catholic or protestant) is to take accountability for your actions, and prove that you are sorry and will not do it again.

For example, if your husband did something (yelled at you, flirted with another woman etc) would you expect an apology??? OF COURSE you would... and then you would expect him to promise never to do it again== and stick to his promise.

SAME THING.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 pm

OH HELLL YEAH!!! USHER is great!

Maybe if the damn chick that hurt him in this song would have freakin CONFESSED and REPENTED... he could have either gotten back with her, or at least had a relationship with the next chick.. instead of "U remind me of a girl that i once knew.... " LOL

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 9:35 pm

wants2laugh wrote:

Its NOT about whether God knows what you did=== it is about owning up and taking responsibility for the "crime". In court, when you plead guilty you must allocute your crime... even though everyone already knows who you are, what you did, and who you did it to.

When you actually SAY your "crimes" out loud--- you accept responsibility for it and own up to it. The whole idea of confession (whether catholic or protestant) is to take accountability for your actions, and prove that you are sorry and will not do it again.

For example, if your husband did something (yelled at you, flirted with another woman etc) would you expect an apology??? OF COURSE you would... and then you would expect him to promise never to do it again== and stick to his promise.

SAME THING.

You would expect it but the next question is would you get it?

And I don't buy that anybody but God needs to know of anybody's sins if they do not feel a need to tell the whole world what they've done. That's the great thing, God created us so we can communicate with Him without ever saying a word, which if you think about it makes sense because what about mute people? How could they make a confession in church? They can't tell the priest, they can't tell the congregation, but God still knows and they can still account for what they've done.

And going back to something previous, about take confession and then when you confess your sins it's like they never happened...I see that as being a one time only thing...when you accept Christ as your Savior THEN it's all washed away, to say you need to confess your sins again to have them taken away again means that God didn't get it right the first time and that Jesus died for nothing if every single time you sin you must confess it to have it taken away. His blood covers all of them, past, present and future, and there is NO connection to His blood and the ear of anybody in the church once you've already asked God Himself for forgiveness.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 pm

by that thinking -- Adolph Hitler and Mother Theresa are on the same level. In Mein Kumpf, hitler discusses his christian beliefs and we all know he wanted to rid the world of the jews... why? he wasnt muslim, he was CHRISTIAN.

So just "accepting" christ is enough to pave your way to heaven?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 pm

wants2laugh wrote:by that thinking -- Adolph Hitler and Mother Theresa are on the same level. In Mein Kumpf, hitler discusses his christian beliefs and we all know he wanted to rid the world of the jews... why? he wasnt muslim, he was CHRISTIAN.

So just "accepting" christ is enough to pave your way to heaven?

Admitting your sins to God and asking God for forgiveness and for Christ to become your Savior, yes, that is enough. Good works ain't gonna do it. There's a difference in doing good works THROUGH God and doing them in hopes of getting to heaven based on that.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri May 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Supernova wrote:Well I still find the whole thing ridiculous. God already knows what you've done when you do it and He knows what you've done before you even do it, He don't need the whole church or even a priest to hear it to get the word back to Him.

That's not the point. The point is to address wrongdoings you know you've done and are remorseful. You can confess to God directly if you want to, but whether or not he wants you to repent, or forgives you, you're on your own with only what you feel (and obviously that is all you seem to need). The priest is the facilitator and it's his job to tell you what you need to do to be absolved of your sins. A lot of people don't like revealing sins to a priest; others find it on a par with talking at a psychologist.

Other faiths do things completely different. Mormons don't believe that the sins can be forgiven by the bishop. But confessions are nevertheless handled very seriously in that they must accompany an apology among those who were affected by a wrongdoing, and the more public it was the more public the confession. For example, if you embezzled money from a business, you will be expected to make your confession-apology to the whole company affected by what you did. I don't see anything wrong in this, either.

Congregational judgments by people who are NOT the clergy is not my idea of how to handle repentance, but that's their business.

Nova, didn't you do a thread on this very same thing about a year ago?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

That's not the point. The point is to address wrongdoings you know you've done and are remorseful. You can confess to God directly if you want to, but whether or not he wants you to repent, or forgives you, you're on your own with only what you feel (and obviously that is all you seem to need). The priest is the facilitator and it's his job to tell you what you need to do to be absolved of your sins. A lot of people don't like revealing sins to a priest; others find it on a par with talking at a psychologist.

Other faiths do things completely different. Mormons don't believe that the sins can be forgiven by the bishop. But confessions are nevertheless handled very seriously in that they must accompany an apology among those who were affected by a wrongdoing, and the more public it was the more public the confession. For example, if you embezzled money from a business, you will be expected to make your confession-apology to the whole company affected by what you did. I don't see anything wrong in this, either.

Congregational judgments by people who are NOT the clergy is not my idea of how to handle repentance, but that's their business.

Nova, didn't you do a thread on this very same thing about a year ago?

I know I've asked about it before anyway, the whole thing still blows my mind.

And as to the public confession for a public sin and all that, what if it was a private thing, like...don't the church think masturbation is a sin? Who's going to tell the whole congregation about that one?
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 pm

I know a woman who got pregnant out of wedlock. The whole congregation could publicly see that she was pregnant, even tho the sex itself was private. Her elders made her write a 3 page long letter of apology, explaining how her sin was against God, the community, and the child. They made her write out a plan for providing that child with love and staples as well as how she was going to provide a moral, God fearing father figure in the baby's life. She was 19yrs old... and once this letter was approved by the Elders, she had to recite it to the congregation during Sunday services.

But by reading your posts, you actually state that you BELIEVE in confession---- you just dont believe in how one particular religion does it.

that is really the equivalent of you saying that you dont like a tv show--- if you dont like it dont watch it. if you dont believe the catholic way, do not become catholic.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I believe in confessing to God, and Him only, nobody else need apply because there ain't a damn thing anybody else can do about it and most of the time it ain't their business anyway.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat May 26, 2012 8:44 am

SN the whole church does not hear your confession only the priest does. We confess so that we can get absolution for our sins. I am a hypocrite because I have not been to confession in years, I just don't believe in it and confess my sins to God.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 am

wants2laugh wrote:...Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You in thought, word and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. ...

This is interesting. It is almost like The Prayer of Repentence by Meher Baba who comes from a Parsi (Zoarostrian) background whose premise is to do good thots, good words and good deeds.

"We repent, O God Most Merciful for all our sins; for every thought that was false or unjust or unclean; for every word spoken that ought not to have been spoken; for every deed done that ought not to have been done..."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 am

Tony Marino wrote:

SN the whole church does not hear your confession only the priest does. We confess so that we can get absolution for our sins. I am a hypocrite because I have not been to confession in years, I just don't believe in it and confess my sins to God.

Doesn't sound like hypocrisy to me. When it comes to God I am a firm believer in cutting out the middle man and taking matters to Him directly, not through some earthbound mouthpiece in a robe or collar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:15 am