CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Forgiveness Man
zthatzmanz28
Hyacinth Girl
wants2laugh
Nystyle709
Bluesmama
Shale
CeCe
Alan Smithee
RobbieFTW
14 posters

In your opinion, what is the point of religion?

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Religion In your opinion, what is the point of religion?

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 pm

What does it do for you?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Religion Re: In your opinion, what is the point of religion?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm just going to try very hard to keep my mouth shut on this subject.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I'm just going to try very hard to keep my mouth shut on this subject.

co-signs
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:55 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:What does it do for you?
    It annoys me.

(Hey Alan & CeCe hi there! )
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am

I have no problem believing in God and the bible and, while I don't belong to a church (at this time), my faith sustains me and keeps me grounded.

There is no point to delving into specifics because I honestly don't think people on here care to read it, anyway.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:52 am

If you find solace in yours, then more power to you. Religion is not necessarily a bad thing. Whether you believe it or not, it does keep people grounded. I'm far from religious.....I can barely quote you any scriptures and I don't go to church, but I do recognize the good in it. And the bad. The only problem is that there is no balance.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 am

i think there are hypocrites either way... those who claim they are "saved" or "spiritual" and act like asshole (like my cousin)... and those who claim to be athiests who call out to a god when placed in certain situations.

im not a church goer... but i read my bible. there is enough historic truth in the bible to question what is possible and what is not. As far as praying, i have indeed prayed in certain situations... which makes me one of those damn hypocrites. i dont do it regularly... but when i have prayed for things... i usually get it. some will say that it is the process of visualization and self-actualization... but whatever it is... it makes me feel better. I would rather believe that my sister is happy in heaven somewhere riding her harleys and strutting around in bikinis wrestling in coleslaw--- than to think she just isnt anywhere but in the bag of dust on my tv
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 pm

You don't have to go to church to have faith, believe in God, and have a relationship with Him--that's my opinion.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:12 pm

To control the masses.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm

The 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00 Wink
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 pm

I suppose it depends on how we define "religion." There are so many definitions to it, I can write books on what the point of each is.

As for what it does for me, it's not about that. I'm a firm believer in truth. I believe in my religion because I believe it's truth, and the only "religion" that is true. What I get out of it is secondary, at best. My goal is to be on the side of truth and do what I believe God's asking of me. (Not what best fits in with what I'd prefer.)

Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 am

I am a non believer, however I think some people need to believe in god and the threat of hell to behave like decent people. In which case all power to them. My experience with too many Christians is that they do everything the bible warns them against and then claim they are saved so it is ok. I remind them that the bible says that not all who cry lord lord will see the kingdom of heaven.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 am

I don't think religion is a bad thing. If it's used correctly, it can be a beautiful thing.

My problem is with the extremist. That goes for the religious zealots and the atheistic zealots. To me, they both one and the same.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 am

Suzi wrote:I am a non believer, however I think some people need to believe in god and the threat of hell to behave like decent people. In which case all power to them. My experience with too many Christians is that they do everything the bible warns them against and then claim they are saved so it is ok. I remind them that the bible says that not all who cry lord lord will see the kingdom of heaven.

And that's very true--the term "Christian" is thrown about all the time and very loosely interpreted. Not everyone claiming to be "Christian", actually is, and you'll know the ones who truly are, by their actions. Those who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, are indeed the very ones being referred to in the passage about not everyone gets a free pass to the Kingdom. Rude awakening for some, someday. . .
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

And that's very true--the term "Christian" is thrown about all the time and very loosely interpreted. Not everyone claiming to be "Christian", actually is, and you'll know the ones who truly are, by their actions. Those who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, are indeed the very ones being referred to in the passage about not everyone gets a free pass to the Kingdom. Rude awakening for some, someday. . .
    Don't I wish that I could believe they would have a rude awakening, but fact is I don't think there is anything waiting for them other than the grave. They will have spent their lives being the nastiest of people and never have to pay for it, other than in others memories.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Suzi wrote:
    Don't I wish that I could believe they would have a rude awakening, but fact is I don't think there is anything waiting for them other than the grave. They will have spent their lives being the nastiest of people and never have to pay for it, other than in others memories.

I truly believe there will be that rude awakening for some, though I don't wish it on anyone. As nasty as people can be, no one is ever completely hopeless in God's eyes. I've heard it said that God is the God of second, third, fouth, chances, and so on. Personally, I think there's a lot waiting for all of us other than the grave--so much beyond that, afterwards, we can't comprehend it from an eternal standpoint, because those of us who are still alive on Earth, haven't experienced eternity yet.

That's the whole basis of faith, for those of us who believe--trusting in what you cannot see, trusting in what's promised to come along. Where's the hope of anything if all there is, is the daily grind here on Earth, then nothing after that? All that we've worked for, strived for in our lives, blown to nothing when we die? Seems like a crappy deal to me--life sucks then you die.

I'd rather believe that there is so much more than this, and our time spent on Earth is just a stopover, and training ground for what's to come. It gives me hope and something to look forward to, knowing that everything I have done, am doing, and will do, is not in vain, or not for a purpose.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Religion is like fire. A useful tool for some but very dangerous in the wrong hands.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:You don't have to go to church to have faith, believe in God, and have a relationship with Him--that's my opinion.

I feel same way.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 pm

tmontyb wrote:I don't think religion is a bad thing. If it's used correctly, it can be a beautiful thing.

My problem is with the extremist. That goes for the religious zealots and the atheistic zealots. To me, they both one and the same.

In your opinion, what is the point of religion? 35166
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 am

Personally, it's all about inspiration and motivation. It gets me excited! I don't know the whole bible by heart, and I don't walk around quoting bible verses. But I love to listen to and study the Bible. It gives me something to hold on to when everything else is going to hell in a hand basket, and I must say that things have gone MUCH smoother since I've incorporated it more into my life.

I'm not the "model Christian" but I'm cool with that right now, because it doesn't sound like something I want to be. I still tell people God ain't through with me yet right before I cuss them out. I go to church sporadically and if I don't feel like jumping up and down with everyone else...fuck it, I ain't gonna do it. I go to listen and learn and recharge spiritually, not act a fool in the name of Jesus. Growing up I wasn't a church fan because of the stuffy nature (and one bad experience at a sanctified church Shocked ) but now that I've found a good church, I leave feeling much better than when I walked in. I think that's what's most important.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm