CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Tony Marino
Shale
Suzi
Nystyle709
CeCe
Cheaps
Supernova
11 posters

If you wash dishes by hand...

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

If you wash dishes by hand... Empty If you wash dishes by hand...

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I think most people here use a dishwasher but if you don't, if you actually scrub the dishes by hand, what order do you do them in?

The way we grew up learning it was you put the plates and bowls and stuff in first, then the glasses, then the pots and pans, and then the silverware. Why this is, I don't know. Recently it occurred to me to soak and wash the pans first because they are always the worst, THEN I fill up the sink and put in the plates and silverware, then the glasses are usually last. Of course my brother hates it because he always has to put the pans away before I can get the rest of the stuff in the drain rack, but it works easier for me to get the dirtiest crap out of the way first.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

If you wash dishes by hand... Empty Re: If you wash dishes by hand...

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I used to wash cups and silverware first, then the bowls, then the plates, after that I usually make new dish water, then continue on with the bigger tupper ware type bowls, lastly would be the pots and pans.

I fill pots and pans up with hot water and dish liquid first, that way they are soaking while I'm getting the other dishes washed.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Cheaps wrote:I used to wash cups and silverware first, then the bowls, then the plates, after that I usually make new dish water, then continue on with the bigger tupper ware type bowls, lastly would be the pots and pans.

I fill pots and pans up with hot water and dish liquid first, that way they are soaking while I'm getting the other dishes washed.

co-signs
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 pm

I wash the least dirtiest dishes first.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Growing up it was always glasses and cups first, to avoid any grease from the plates getting on the glasses. Then plates, bowls, silverware and pots and pans last.

My grandmother and father got in an argument once about how to iron a shirt, they had me call the cleaners to find out who was right. Gramma was of course. You iron collar first, then the what ever it's called below the collar on the back. Then start with the upper part of the front half, then lower part of the same half. Next do the rest of the back, upper part of the other half of the front, the rest of the front. Then the sleeve cuffs and the sleeve.Now I still iron the correct way..........but I sure don't iron much and the dishes are done in the dishwasher. I still marvel at the decadence of the dishwasher doing the dishes and the oven cleaning its self at the same time while I sit on my can reading or watching TV or what ever!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I live alone and don't do any extravagant cooking. Most nights it is a salad and some entree cooked in the microwave in its own container. Which means there is one bowl (in which is the soapy water), one fork, one spoon, one plate and one cup to wash and I rinse them and put in the rack as I go.

On the nights I use a pot to cook on the stove, I usually wash it as soon as it is empty to get it out of the sink and make room for the dishes & flatware.

Of the modern conveniences in my kitchen the self-defrosting fridge is the one I appreciate the most. Don't have a dishwasher and when I stay by myself at my sister's house I set up to wash my one of everything in the sink like at home.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I usually leave the pan soaking while I wash the dishes, glasses and forks and knives, then I go for the pan. I have a dishwasher but I only use it when I have company and I can fill it up.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm

When washing by hand I always do drinkware first to avoid any greasy stuff getting into contact with the cups.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:54 pm

I must be the messiest cook in the world, right now I have a load of dishes that need to be done.Its 10:52 in the morning,there are his ice cream bowl from last night and the cats food bowl also from last night breakfast dishes and a slew of bowls and measuring cups, etc from making a couple of cakes. The grater was washed by hand and the big bowl will probably be washed by hand.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Suzi wrote:I must be the messiest cook in the world, right now I have a load of dishes that need to be done.Its 10:52 in the morning,there are his ice cream bowl from last night and the cats food bowl also from last night breakfast dishes and a slew of bowls and measuring cups, etc from making a couple of cakes. The grater was washed by hand and the big bowl will probably be washed by hand.

I hear you. I'm a walking disaster.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

I let the dirtiest items soak in hot soapy water first. Then I refill the sink with fresh soapy water, starting with silverware, then glass, then cups, then plates and saucers, and then the pots. I usually let them air dry but not always.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 am

thinking I never thought about it. I don't think we've got a system that we always used. We don't filled up the sink with saopy water though so greasy water didn't affect the order that we washed.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:09 am

If a dish, pan or pot is especially cruddy or has big particles of food on them, then I'll let them soak in hot water on the other side of the sink while I do the rest of the dishes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:03 pm